Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Are Samsung shipping the drives with this updated fw yet?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

840 pros also don't seem to work on Adaptec 7805Q for max cache.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    840 pros also don't seem to work on Adaptec 7805Q for max cache.
    With the old firmware or already tested with the latest firmware on Adaptec?

Quote Originally Posted by WeServIT View Post
    With the old firmware or already tested with the latest firmware on Adaptec?
    Latest firmware installed to adaptec 7805q (latest avl saturday night), shows drives and can add to maxcache pool but they don't seem to get used. Havent checked ssd firmware, easier to just swap for intel 520.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Latest firmware installed to adaptec 7805q (latest avl saturday night), shows drives and can add to maxcache pool but they don't seem to get used. Havent checked ssd firmware, easier to just swap for intel 520.
    it seems the new "05" Samsung f/w makes world of difference to LSI raid cards. so, may want to try the 05' for 840P installed on adaptec variants as well.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

LATEST FIRMWARE RESOLVES ISSUE

Updated 6x 840 Pros and LSI 9271-8iCC with latest firmware.

Disk cache can now be enabled. Performance during the previously mentioned IOMeter test was stable at ~100,000 IOPS.

Quote Originally Posted by 0egp8 View Post

Disk cache can now be enabled. Performance during the previously mentioned IOMeter test was stable at ~100,000 IOPS.
    thanks for the update !

Anyone using LSI 9260-8i with 840 Pros ?
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

What version is the firmware?
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    thanks for the update !
    Always a pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
    What version is the firmware?
    Samsung 840 Pros: DXM05B0Q

LSI 9271-8iCC: 23.12.0.0013

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    you must use Samsung's "magician" software for windows to do the update and there is no DOS nor ISO version of firmware updater.
    Samsung has posted DOS ISOs here.

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...downloads.html

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    you couldn't update the Samsung firmware if it was installed on RAID card nor it was connected to USB port!
    I'm not sure if this would work, but there's a PDFwDownload command in MegaCLI for updating drive firmware through the controller. Convention is

Code:
    MegaCli -PdFwDownload [offline][ForceActivate] {[-SataBridge] -PhysDrv[0:1]}|{-EncdevId[devId]} -f <filename> -aN|-a0,1,2|-aALL
    and command documentation is on pg. 249 of the MegaRAID SAS Software User Guide:

http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/..._SAS_SW_UG.pdf

You could try it with the 1 MB .enc file in the zipped file on Samsung's website:

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...o_DXM05B0Q.zip

I'm not making any guarantees it'll work though, as Samsung explicitly states, "Zipped files must be used with Samsung Magician Software." It's likely just a statement that means other flash methods are not supported.

If anyone is willing to try this method, please report whether the flash was successful. It's painful to manually connect each 840 Pro in the array to an onboard SATA port. Moreover, Samsung Magician Software forces a restart after a single drive update.

Would be good if someone can test if it works with megacli. Having to pull the drive 1 by 1 and updating on a Windows dedicated server that is "spare" will be a major issue.
    Hyperconnezion - your fast path to success
    IT management, Cloud and Data Center Services in Asia Pacific

Flashing Instructions

If there are people who want to try using MegaCLI that don't know much about the command options, I can walk you through them.

Code:
    [offline]
    This option makes the targeted physical drive (PD) go offline prior to flashing it.

Code:
    [forceActivate]
    This option forces the new firmware to activate without a reboot.

Code:
    {[-SataBridge] -PhysDrv[EnclosureId:SlotNumber]}|{-EncdevId[devId]}
    This part of the command specificies which device to flash.

Code:
    EncdevId[devId]
    This option would flash enclosure firmware.

Code:
    PhysDrv[EnclosureId:SlotNumber]
    This option would flash a PD, with enclosure given by EnclosureID and slot number in that enclosure given by SlotNumber. If you wanted to flash a PD directly connected to the controller, the EnclosureId would be 252 and the slot number would be the controller slot number.

Code:
    [-SataBridge]
    This option would flash the SATA bridge firmware of a SATA bridge connecting a PD with address given by PhysDrv.

Code:
    -f <filename>
    This part of the command specifies the filename of the file to flash.

Code:
    -aN|-a0,1,2|-aALL
    This part of the command specifies which controller (adapter) is connected to the targeted PD. When there's only one controller present, just use a0.

So if someone wanted to flash an 840 Pro connected to the first port on their controller, they could run
    Code:
    MegaCli -PDFwDownload -PhysDrv[252:0] -f DXM05B0Q.enc -a0
    assuming that they only had one controller and that DXM05B0Q.enc was located in the same directory as MegaCLI.

For people who want to be sure about the identities of the PDs they are flashing, they can run
    Code:
    MegaCli -PDList -a0
    to get a list of information for all PDs, which will include enclosure ID, slot number, device world-wide name (WWN), and SCSI INQUIRY data (Vendor ID, Product ID, and Product Revision Level).

To get this info for a particular PD, run
    Code:
    MegaCli -PDInfo -PhysDrv[EnclosureId:SlotNumber] -a0
    If you have a lot of 840/840 Pros or want to flash for many systems, you could script this to run the update only on drives with old firmware. Though it would likely be easier to use StorCLI instead of MegaCLI for this as it was made for scripting.

The StorCLI command for flashing is
    Code:
    storcli /cx/ex/sx download src=<filepath>
    so the analagous StorCLI command for the MegaCLI example given above would be
    Code:
    storcli /c0/e252/s0 download src="DXM05B0Q.enc"
    To get information about all drives on a given controller, use
    Code:
    storcli /cx show all
    You could then parse that to get Enclosure ID and slot numbers for all PDs, and run
    Code:
    storcli /cx/ex/sx show all
    to determine which drives are 840 Pros that require flashing.

More information about StorCLI and command syntax/semantics is available in Chapter 5 and Appendix C of the MegaRAID SAS Software User Guide.

PdFwDownload
    ------------

Syntax: MegaCli -PdFwDownload [offline] [ForceActivate] {[-SataBridge] -PhysDrv[0:1] }|{-EncdevId[devId1]} -f <filename> -aN|-a0,1,2|-aALL

Description:
    Flashes the firmware from the file specified at command line.
    Firmware files used to flash the physical drive or Enclosure can be of any format.
    Command assumes that user is providing valid firmware image and flashes the same.
    Its up to the physical drive or Enclosure to do error checking.
    -forceactivate option should be used only if target device is an enclosure.
    -offline option should be used only if target device is an enclosure firmware and if the enclosure type is Shea or MileHigh.
    The firmware file extension should be .esm if this option is used.
    This option forces the application to flash enclosure firmware using offline method and is supported only in DOS version of the command tool.
    -SataBridge option must be used if target device is Alta.

Convention:
    -aN N specifies the adapter number for the command.
    -a0,1,2 Specifies the command is for adapters 0, 1, and 2. More than one adapter can be selected.
    -aALL Specifies the command is for all adapters.
    -PhysDrv[E00] Physical drive, E specifies enclosure id and S specifies Slot number of physical drive.
    EncdevId[devId1] deviceId of the enclosure.
    Should explain things a little more

New Firmware Update

A new firmware update has been released for LSISAS2208 controllers (23.16.0.0012).

At this time I am unable to check whether this update substantially affects performance, although from the readme it would seem it does in some cases.

I'm having similar issue with the OCZ Vectex 4 F/W 1.5 on 9271-8i. Under full load, the drive seems to fail.

OCZ has firmware 1.5.1 now. Has anyone tested it?
    LSI F/W Package: 23.9.0-0018. Anyone test the new 23.12.0.0013 F/W just released?

I am considering doing RAID10 on 6-8 of these Samsung 840/840 pro drives using Dell PERC 6/i and H700/H710 RAID controller. Does anybody have any experience with this setup?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

That's great news. Has anyone tried the ISOs with mdraid?

Issues with 840 Pros for CacheCade?

Nevermind.

Has anyone flashed an 840 through an LSI RAID card yet?
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Please bear in mind that Samsung has a dedicated range of Enterprise SSDs validated to work with LSI and give high performance in the data center.

Check out the Samsung SM843T SSD.

Which is very hard/impossible to find though.
    Fusioned - http://www.fusioned.net
    Enterprise & Semi-Dedicated Hosting | CloudLinux, cPanel, LiteSpeed, Acronis | PHP 5.6, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 & 8.0
    Fully Managed SSD KVM VPS & Dedicated Servers | CloudFlare & Acronis Partner | RIPE LIR

SM843T SSD parts have recently become available to wider customer market in Europe including UK. Please feel free to contact me if you would like the name of a local distributor.

FYI I work in Samsung Memory in Korea.

Newest Firmware on 9270i-8 and 840 Pro and still bad Performance

Hi all
    I have installed the LSI FW 3.270.65-2578 (17 June 2013) and the 840 Pro FW 5B0Q.

My Configuration: 1 x SSD for CacheCade 2.0 Pro (Wrrite Back enabled) and 4 2TB Disk in Raid 5.

I know Raid 5 is not the Best Performance Solution. But if i disable CacheCade oder set it to "Read only", my write Performance is stable at about 200MB/sec. (ISO / MKV copy Job in Windows Server)

But i enable the "write back" mode, the the transfer goes down after a few seconds to 2-3 MB/sec. for 15 - 20 seconds, the up to 100MB/sec. for a few seconds and the again to 2-3MB/sec.

What's the Problem? Have others here in the forum the same issues?

Thanks a lot,
    Mike

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

Samsung 840 Pro is now formally supported by LSI for MegaRAID cards.

Our Samsung 840 Pro seems to work fine with our LSI-9266-8i

Do we need to do a firmware upgrade?
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

Is anybody using the 840 Pro with Cachecade Pro 2.0?
    Right Servers Inc. - Fully Managed VPS and Fully Managed Bare Metal Servers in US & Canada. We want to empower entrepreneurs to grow their business, not their IT headaches. Managed is better.
    High Availability | SSD | DirectAdmin & Softaculous | Daily Backups |Firewall & Security |30 Day Money Back Guarantee

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567