Question Cloudflare/Incapsula free plans security

Hi everyone,

i have searched a bit on forum, googled, and i see cloudflare and incapsula are mentioned on forum more than a few times.

Incapsula might be better for paid service, but what about free plans on cloudflare and incapsula, which one of those two has better security on free plan? I am using joomla 2.5.

Philip Tibom made a great and detailed report on these two with paid services, but that doesn't answer this dilema regarding free plans.

Thank you in advance
    Dan

Almost of the host providers use cloudflare.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tihhc View Post
    Almost of the host providers use cloudflare.
    yes, we know that, because Cloudflare has a deal with cPanel, not with the hosting providers, thus Cloudflare generated more popularity, but that is not the point of the thread

I need 5 posts to post links, but if you type incapsula vs. cloudflare in google you'll find an article at ehackingnews. On that page there's a link to a full pdf review.

In short: Incapsula is the clear winner. Cloudflare blocks pretty much no attacks, incapsula does.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Nlammertyn View Post
    I need 5 posts to post links, but if you type incapsula vs. cloudflare in google you'll find an article at ehackingnews. On that page there's a link to a full pdf review.

In short: Incapsula is the clear winner. Cloudflare blocks pretty much no attacks, incapsula does.

You are referring to Philip Tibom's detailed PDF report, which i have already mentioned in the first post of this thread, as i said, i have already Google-ed and searched through WHT forum. Since i cant find anything significant related to these free services, this is why i would like to get some real experience feedback from users who are using these free plans.

Post Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by dado023 View Post
    yes, we know that, because Cloudflare has a deal with cPanel, not with the hosting providers, thus Cloudflare generated more popularity, but that is not the point of the thread

"because Cloudflare has a deal with cPanel,"

We have no deal with cPanel (there is only a plugin using their API and hosting providers choose to adopt it or not).
    CloudFlare Community Evangelist

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by damoncloudflare View Post
    "because Cloudflare has a deal with cPanel,"

We have no deal with cPanel (there is only a plugin using their API and hosting providers choose to adopt it or not).

that is interesting...i wonder why there is no any choice for incapsula on hosting providers, only cloudflare.....nvm, that is already ot.

Hi everyone,

i have searched a bit on forum, googled, and i see cloudflare and incapsula are mentioned on forum more than a few times.

Incapsula might be better for paid service, but what about free plans on cloudflare and incapsula, which one of those two has better security on free plan? I am using joomla 2.5.

Philip Tibom made a great and detailed report on these two with paid services, but that doesn't answer this dilema regarding free plans.

Thank you in advance
    Dan
    Hi,

We are partners with both companies and have both installed in our cpanel. I can say out of our clients that use cloudflare or incapsula, 75% use incapsula. (Free Plan)

Regards,
    HostUS - Premium Hosting Made Affordable
    TEN Worldwide locations spanning USA, Europe & Asia Pacific
    Own ASN, Own Network, Own IPs - AS7489 & AS25926

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderr View Post
    Hi,

We are partners with both companies and have both installed in our cpanel. I can say out of our clients that use cloudflare or incapsula, 75% use incapsula. (Free Plan)

Regards,

That is for sure useful info/feedback.
    I hope others who have similar expirience will participate in this thread.
    Tnx Alexanderr

That is for sure useful info/feedback.
    I hope others who have similar expirience will participate in this thread.
    Tnx Alexanderr

No problem.

Regards
    HostUS - Premium Hosting Made Affordable
    TEN Worldwide locations spanning USA, Europe & Asia Pacific
    Own ASN, Own Network, Own IPs - AS7489 & AS25926

that is interesting...i wonder why there is no any choice for incapsula on hosting providers, only cloudflare.....nvm, that is already ot.
    Hi,

Well, I guess we are "to blame" here.

We only recently launched our Hosting Partners Program (combined with cPanel support) and while we are moving fast, CF had a pretty big head start advantage...

http://www.incapsula.com/the-incapsu...ller-affiliate

Since the October launch, we've already started working with several hosting partners. We are also talking with many more who are interested.

You see, Incapsula was initially devised as an enterprise-grade product, but times have moved on and we were happy to move on with them.

Thanks to the advances in distribution technology we can now provide an affordable large-scale solution.

This allowed us to develop partnership connection with shared hosting providers and create hosting integration features. (i.e. cPanel integration).

We are just getting started and we will welcome any new co-operation opportunities.
    Incapsula: Cloud CDN & Security | DDoS Mitigation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instant DDoS Protection | Cloud-based PCI Compliant WAF | Dynamic content Caching | Global CDN | Anti-Spam

Question competition

This is what i was waiting for, cPanel integration will for sure provide added value to any hosting offering and ease usage for end users.

We just rolled out the Incapsula plugin and currently playing around with it myself.

I have a few nitpicky things I need to talk to them about but if Igal says they just rolled the plugin out I am sure they are already working on it.

Currently, nothing other than functionality considered, CF still wins in terms of end user setup.
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

We are also partners with both companies incapsula now better then cloudflare.
    Domain Good - Hosting websites since 2007!
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel | Softaculous | 99.9% Uptime | 24/7 Support | US & EU Server!
    Follow us on Twitter @domaingood | Facebook @domaingood | Google+ @domaingood

I go with CF due to unmetered bandwidth. Incapsula offers to little BW to start with and then charge for overage.

Quote Originally Posted by time4vps View Post
    I go with CF due to unmetered bandwidth. Incapsula offers to little BW to start with and then charge for overage.
    Hi,

I don't know if it too little or not, but our Free Plan offers 50 GB/month bandwidth.

Having said that, even with this limit in place, I have never heard about any of our free plan client charged for overages.
    (For one thing, we don't ask for CC data on free plan signup so we can't really auto charge, even if we wanted to - and we don't)

We take the same lenient approach when dealing with our paid plan clients.

Yes, if you doubled your bandwidth capacity, someone will get in touch and try to work it out with you. But if you just overstepped it a bit, we won't even take notice.
    Instant DDoS Protection | Cloud-based PCI Compliant WAF | Dynamic content Caching | Global CDN | Anti-Spam

Quote Originally Posted by Igal Zeifman View Post
    Hi,

I don't know if it too little or not, but our Free Plan offers 50 GB/month bandwidth.

Having said that, even with this limit in place, I have never heard about any of our free plan client charged for overages.
    (For one thing, we don't ask for CC data on free plan signup so we can't really auto charge, even if we wanted to - and we don't)

We take the same lenient approach when dealing with our paid plan clients.

Yes, if you doubled your bandwidth capacity, someone will get in touch and try to work it out with you. But if you just overstepped it a bit, we won't even take notice.
    Thank you for clarification . About additional BW charges, I was talking about paid plan.

Quote Originally Posted by time4vps View Post
    Thank you for clarification . About additional BW charges, I was talking about paid plan.
    No problem.

I just assumed you were referring to our free plan because of the tread name: [Cloudflare/Incapsula free plan security]

As I've said, our bandwidth limitation can be best described as "virtual" and are mostly used for initial client classification.

We are not in 'charging for bandwidth' business, we deal in Cloud Security.

The reason i started this thread is clear from the Title itself.

My main concern is security for dynamic websites based on LAMP.....if you read WHT you can see threads about hacked websites, especially with MySQL injection.
    Unfortunately i don't have enough knowledge to simulate mysql injection or similar hacking/spamming attempts, otherwise i would be more than happy to do a benchmark, and display clear comparison between incapsula and cf.

This is crucial for websites based on frameworks such as wordpress or joomla, less problems=more(satisfied) customers.

I actually just started researching this myself today. I've had a few sites with cloudflare for some time. While it's a great free service, it really doesn't do much on the security front. Sure they both do some basic blocking of bad bots and known bad IP's, but if you want any real WAF protection (such as sql injections, xss attacks, etc), you have to upgrade not just to a paid account, but even the 2nd tier paid accounts! CF offers some basic WAF functionality on their $20 plan, but really you'd want the rules support for it to be valuable. Think of the free accounts more as CDN's than security tools.

IMO unless you have the money to spend on it, you are better off setting up mod_security and the like on your own server. This is by no means a knock against either service. I actually really like cloudflare for what I use it for, and am still considering setting up incapsula for one or more sites. I just can't justify the cost for the higher tiers of either for personal sites.
    Affordable web hosting, design, & domain registration services since 2001
    www.serve-you.net

@serve-you

Very interesting and useful info regarding CF, thanks.
    It would be great if you could do incapsula on few sites, just to give it a go, to see how it performs on security, then feedback here....that would be awesome contribution to community

Hey,

You know, once a smart guy once told me: "All OS is free, but only if your time is worthless"

Mod_Security provide a good platform but you can't just use the default rule-set because, for one thing, it's openly available to every hacker on the planet.

Sure you can modify it, but if you use a common configuration you will still run into the same kind of problem.

Moreover, website security is a dynamic landscape and all WAFs need maintenance to keep working properly.
    We have a security team working around the clock to keep up with new threats and implement new security rules. This requires research, large-scale monitoring, technical knowledge, different dedicated tool and keen understanding of threats and vulnerabilities.

Most website owners I know can't really keep up with that. After all, even if they can get over the initial learning curve, they still have a business to run.

And what about false positives? Who wants to start using his own site as a guinea pig for his latest, home-brewed security configuration? One wrong comma and your day is ruined (if you are lucky and can spot the issue in just one day)

Don't get me wrong, mod_security is GREAT (and not only because of it's price tag) but it only reaches it's full potential in the hands of a security expert.
    Last edited by Igal Zeifman; 01-20-2013 at 02:57 AM.

I've been using Incapsula on a few sites and have to say I'm impressed so far. The dashboard is well laid out, and you get a cdn and other security features for free. I don't yet feel the need to upgrade to the paid plan to get firewall protection.

Also recently found out about Distil and how it compares to Incapsula.
    But Distil looks like it's more about preventing content scrapers vs. security lockdown with Incapsula. I wonder if anyone here has tried Distil and can compare the two services?