hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Anyone have a good cheap spreadsheet program recommendation other than Excel?

Forum Jump

Anyone have a good cheap spreadsheet program recommendation other than Excel?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Web Hosting Master

Anyone have a good cheap spreadsheet program recommendation other than Excel?

I accidently deleted Excel from my PC a couple days ago. Don`t ask

And i no longer have the CD to re-install the blasted thing so i`m stuck without a spreadsheet now.

I downloaded a couple other spreadsheet programs like sphygmic. Can anyone recommend a good cheap spreadsheet program similar to Excel?

I was going to use this sphygmic...but when i import all of my customers billing data into it and try to calcualte the sum (like i used to be able to do in Excel by simply hi-lighting the column and it would automatically add up the total amount so i could see my gross amount)...does anyone know how to to do this simple task in sphygmic?

I can`t fiqure it out

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2003, 01:35 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Openoffice? It's free for download (and AFAIK the same as staroffice)

Old 03-14-2003, 02:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

I believe that if you had a legal version of Excel and better yet, if it was registrered MicroSoft will replace for a small fee. You may want to go to their site and look under support. I know they have done it in the past.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Web Hosting Master

No, it was a burned copy.

I wanted to use sphygmic instead now but can`t fiqure out how to make it simply add up the total dollar amount in any given column. In Excel it was so easy, all i had to to was highlight the column or scroll down and it would show me the sum of all those numbers.

All these other spreadsheets suck. Does anyone know how to make sphygmic show the sum of all numbers in any given column?

Some of the other spreadsheet programs won`t even let you import data that i have saved in wordpad.

Old 03-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Web Hosting Master

gnumeric is pretty good

Old 03-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Disabled

Try StarOffice from Sun, it's identical to MS Office, you can even open MS Office Documents (powerpoint,excel,word) in their program. And it's free.

www.sun.com

Old 03-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Frosty
All these other spreadsheets suck. Does anyone know how to make sphygmic show the sum of all numbers in any given column?
I've never used it, or even heard of it (great name though), but if it uses Excel-style formulas can you just type the formula into the appropriate cell? That is, something like =SUM(A2:A5) to total the values in column A from cell a2 to a5.

www.sphygmic.com is unreachable for me, but I did find a screenshot on another site, and it definitely has a "help" choice on the menubar. Nothing there?

It also has a "sum" button just like Excel; the "sigma" just to the right of the sort buttons. Tried that?

Old 03-15-2003, 12:45 AM
Web Hosting Master

A good, cheaper substitute for MS Office is MS Works. The latest versions (2000 and later) include the full version of Word plus "lite" database and spreadsheet software and some other stuff I don't install.
I've found it's all I need and it doesn't install all the junk that Office does. No paperclip. It has Streets and Trips which is great for maps.
You can't open Excel documents with it, though.
Vio Software has the latest version for $63. (Good company. I've ordered from them and they deliver exactly as promised.)
http://www.viosoftware.com/micworsuit202.html

Old 03-15-2003, 03:47 PM
Web Hosting Master

Thanks for the recommendations. I tried to download gnumeric but the download gets screwed up. I downloaded openoffice but i can`t get it to open up my data in the correct format, or nevermind

I downloaded sphygmic from:
http://www.ds.unifi.it/~stefanin/AGR...SH/sssheet.htm

...but for some stupid reason i still can`t get the blasted thing to simply add up all the numbers in one column. I highlight the column and click that "sum" icon but it just turns all the numbers into some weird looking format. In Excel it was so easy all i had to do was scroll down the column and it would add up all the numbers. Does anyone else maybe know how to make sphygmic do that? I give up.

Is that MS works very similar to Excel? And can you add up the numbers in any column like i could in Excel? Maybe i should just buy that then...

Old 03-15-2003, 03:54 PM
Web Hosting Master

get gnumeric from:

http://freshmeat.net/redir/gnumeric/...-1.0.12.tar.gz for linux and

http://freshmeat.net/redir/gnumeric/...l_osx/gnumeric for mac.

not available for windows.

Old 03-15-2003, 05:31 PM
Web Hosting Master

Oh whoops, no wonder i couldn`t download gnumeric then, it`s not for windows...i have windows. Doh

Old 03-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

OpenOffice does that easily. Just put the cursor in the cell where you want the formula, hit the sum button and highlight the cells you want added.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:51 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Frosty

Is that MS works very similar to Excel? And can you add up the numbers in any column like i could in Excel? Maybe i should just buy that then...
Works has a program that is similar to Excel, where you can add up numbers and keep a spread sheet. It will read Excel files.
It has wizards to set up certain types of spread sheets. You can set up a spreadsheet yourself but it also comes with some built in templates for things. It's meant for home use and for people who really don't need Office.
Here's something else that might work. Lotus Smart Suite. This place has got it for $17. I've never dealt with them, but you might want to check it out. It has 1-2-3, which is a Excelt-type spreadsheet program.
http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/deta...?productID=109

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted