help wanted - setting up dns with webmin

im a dedicated newbie and just got myself a linux box with webmin and bind9 installed.
    i need to setup 2 name servers (i have 2 ded ips for them)
    ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2.mydomain.com

then i need to host some sites that will use these name servers on this ded server.

can someone please show me how to do this in webmin's bind setting? which kind of records/zones or wutever should i add? wuts the structure of this entire thing?

im reallli confused rite now.

create a master zone for mydomain.com
    add ns1 ns2 and www etc... as A records with your ip- add 2 nameservers records that point to ns1.mydomain... and ns2... and then add 1 mx records that points your domain to your domain and then restart bind.

My first advice, abandon webmin for simple tasks like DNS.
    You should probably learn the correct way before letting an automated tool do it for you, makes for better practice.

There are some really nice bind guides out there

Originally posted by atjeu
    create a master zone for mydomain.com
    add ns1 ns2 and www etc... as A records with your ip- add 2 nameservers records that point to ns1.mydomain... and ns2... and then add 1 mx records that points your domain to your domain and then restart bind.
    thanks. so if my domain name is abc.com. i need to set up:
    a address abc.com that points to the main ip
    a address www,(ftp.mail etc).abc.com that also points to ip
    a address ns1.abc.com that points to the first name server ip
    a address ns2.abc.com that points to the 2nd name server ip

then i add 2 name servers ns1.abc.com and ns2.abc.com in the "name server" record for abc.com.

then i registerd these 2 name servers with my registrar.

am i on the rite path so far?

now my question is: wut do i do to the sites i want to host with these two name servers? do i have to create a masterzone for each domain i want to host? i used apache's virtual server to create the other sites.

still need help =P

This thread saved my ass.

Maybe it will save yours.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=67956

OH **** I FORGOT This is webhosting... I'm supposed to offer to do it for you for 40$

thanks for this thread!

now i have successually set up name servers for mydomain.com and its already working.

but my question is: wut do i do with those domains that i want to host using these two name servers? do i need to add a zone file for each domain i want to host? or as soon as i set up the virtual server in apache its already been taken care of?

is there something i need to "bind" to my dns zone settings for the sites that i want to host with my name servers?