installing whmcs in root or sub-directory

Hi.

I always have this doubt on which is more advisable, installing directly in root, or into a sub-directory.
    I see many have it installed on a sub as "client area", according to whmcs there is no difference as security, so it comes to "startegy", looks, and usability.

Will you please tell me your thoughts about this, pro and cons, etc.

Thank you

The installation path won't impact security, however having scripts ('software') installed on the same account as WHMCS is risky, because that software may have an exploit an attacker could use to break into your WHMCS.

If you want to do full integration with the WHMCS template system then you'd want to look at installing it in the accounts root directory, main benefit is the domain is the same, so it doesn't go to client.site.com when going to whmcs specific pages.

If a standard header/footer type integration is all you need then you can go for a subdir install.
    | Galaxy Web Solutions Ltd
    | cPanel, cPanel Reseller, Master Reseller, Shoutcast/Icecast + Shoutcast/Icecast Reseller Solutions
    | Cheltenham based servers housed in our own private rackspace. Server Colocation & VPS also available!
    | GalaxyWebSolutions.com | 0800 520 0107 | 01454 620 217

It boils down to your personal preference. You could have it under a subdomain and have an SSL in the subdomain alternatively you could have it as a subdirectory and protect your entire website with a SSL
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

Personally, I throw WHMCS in it's own user. Better protection, I can play a good bit with things, and from my own experience it's just better off. To each their own though, just make sure you follow the further security steps, these are critical
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Thank you all for the replies.
    I have already followed the security stuff.

So from what I gather if no specific reason/need root is the choice.

Personally, I throw WHMCS in it's own user.
    I guess by "own user" you too mean account's root, right?

Most people use the main domain landing for the product and service information and WHMCS is a subdomain for checkout / account management. So in this case domain.com/customers makes sense. As well I recommend this to a subdomain as you will have to purchase an SSL specifically for that sub-domain, opposed to just the main domain..
    Matt Martin
    nurango Telecom
    Secure SIP Solutions
    https://www.nurango.ca

Its always good to have WHMCS on the root (Main Domain ) instead of a Sub domain

Thank you all for the input.

In stead of main website, it is better to install it on sub domain, for example like manage.yourmainwebsite.com.

Quote Originally Posted by dareORdie View Post
    Its always good to have WHMCS on the root (Main Domain ) instead of a Sub domain
    I disagree.

Ideally your billing system should be running on its own locked down system (separation of concerns, not to mention you don't want a vulnerability in your CMS allowing for sideways escalation into your billing system). Having the billing system on a subdomain allows you to point it to a different machine without the need to proxy requests, and in the case of those lacking the extra infrastructure to run a separate box- the ability to easily migrate to a new machine when it becomes possible without breaking links.