hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : shared hosting or VPS for moodle and wordpress?

Forum Jump

shared hosting or VPS for moodle and wordpress?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM

shared hosting or VPS for moodle and wordpress?

Hello All

I am in the process of setting up a new site, it will be based on Moodle. I'm not sure if I need a VPS or if shared hosting will do.

I need a server that will be able to handle roughly 600 concurrent users, all logging in about the the same time and accessing the same page. No other activity will take place really, except for a few comments.

I am worried that shared hosting will just fall flat on its face but also concerned about a VPS, as I have never managed a VPS before.

I will also have wordpress running on an addon domain.

I'm not sure what size server to go for, can anyone recommend any good UK hosts?

Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Web Host Reviewer

Moodle?
Definitely look at a VPS with adequate RAM for the traffic.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Moodle is a open-source Learning Management System.

What is considered adequate RAM? 2GB?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Web Host Reviewer

I know what Moodle is.
Let me rephrase it: When using Moodle, look at a VPS. It's a bit of a resource hog.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Disabled

As @kpmedia said it will require a good amount of memory as it does take up resources. You can find the requirements here: http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Installing_Moodle#Hardware

This is from the link above:
Quote:
Moodle can support 10 to 20 concurrent users for every 1GB of RAM

Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM

Oh sorry!

Yes, I have been reading up on that too. I don't know if 2GB is too little but the higher up I go the more expensive it all becomes.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa View Post
Oh sorry!

Yes, I have been reading up on that too. I don't know if 2GB is too little but the higher up I go the more expensive it all becomes.
You can always upgrade a VPS, try with 1GB RAM and then if you need more just do an upgrade

Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonCube View Post
As @kpmedia said it will require a good amount of memory as it does take up resources. You can find the requirements here: http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Installing_Moodle#Hardware

This is from the link above:
Thanks AeonCube.

I'm not sure what to do based on this info here:

Memory: 256MB (min), 1GB or more is strongly recommended. The general rule of thumb is that Moodle can support 10 to 20 concurrent users for every 1GB of RAM, but this will vary depending on your specific hardware and software combination and the type of use. 'Concurrent' really means web server processes in memory at the same time (i.e. users interacting with the system within a window of a few seconds). It does NOT mean people 'logged in'.

If I have 600 people logged on and all access one page but then do nothing else except watch a video, is that "interacting with the system"? The video would be embedded from YouTube.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Web Host Reviewer

Quote:
Memory: 256MB (min), 1GB or more is strongly recommended.
256MB is a minimum by the software itself -- not the size of the VPS. A VPS with a control panel generally uses up about 512MB by itself. So a VPS with 1.5GB or 2GB is probably ideal.

Quote:
If I have 600 people logged on and all access one page but then do nothing else except watch a video, is that "interacting with the system"? The video would be embedded from YouTube.
To even get to the video, they'll have to interact. Actual concurrency may be as low as 10%, but as high as 50%, of that 600 figure.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Disabled

Quote:
Thanks AeonCube.

I'm not sure what to do based on this info here:

Memory: 256MB (min), 1GB or more is strongly recommended. The general rule of thumb is that Moodle can support 10 to 20 concurrent users for every 1GB of RAM, but this will vary depending on your specific hardware and software combination and the type of use. 'Concurrent' really means web server processes in memory at the same time (i.e. users interacting with the system within a window of a few seconds). It does NOT mean people 'logged in'.

That is something I am unsure on, personally I would recommend contacting the developers and getting their view.

I would also consider finding a VPS provider with a 30 day money back guarantee and test this. If you can setup everything you need on a VPS with say 1GB/2GB RAM and then see how it goes.

The best way of finding out is by trying

Old 11-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

If you are confident about '600 users online at the same time', i would recommend a VPS. You will be able to setup web server /PHP / MySQL according to your needs and it will run a lot smoother.

If you are only starting out and do not have any traffic yet, i would recommend to start with shared hosting, then upgrade to VPS.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosting24 View Post
If you are confident about '600 users online at the same time', i would recommend a VPS. You will be able to setup web server /PHP / MySQL according to your needs and it will run a lot smoother.

If you are only starting out and do not have any traffic yet, i would recommend to start with shared hosting, then upgrade to VPS.
Thanks for your advice. Definitely confident about 600+ users.

Now, I need to find myself a good reliable UK based, fully managed VPS. I think I'll get a cuppa first...

Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosting24 View Post

I would not recommend a shared hosting service for the client, do you use/have clients that use Moodle on your shared services?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Now, I need to find myself a good reliable UK based, fully managed VPS. I think I'll get a cuppa first...
There is always time for cuppa

Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonCube View Post
I would not recommend a shared hosting service for the client, do you use/have clients that use Moodle on your shared services?
No, none at all. This is my first time using Moodle, I'm a little bit apprehensive due to the large class size.

It would be extremely embarrassing if on the first lesson my website crashed! I hope I can avoid that.

I think it would be wise to go for a VPS with minimum 1GB RAM and take it from there, as you said earlier, I won't know until I try.

Thank you all for your help, if there's any other bits of advice, please feel free to share as I am more than happy to listen.