Question Cobalt Servers?!?

What do you think of Cobalt ?
    Can a cobalt handle lets say ( in extreme )200 Domains and push the 150GB / month ??
    I`m just asking this cause i heard some bad things about cobalts ( crashes-total data loss, reconf is messy ).

Greets
    ZYE
    Last edited by ZYE; 06-03-2001 at 12:06 AM.

Cobalts tend to be limited. Most web hosts who are starting out use them since they are extremely simple. If you plan on scalability and need 200+ domains on each server, go with a Linux or BSD box.

so - to start out it`s fine
    when do they start to crash or hang or ... ?

thx
    ZYE

Originally posted by ZYE
    so - to start out it`s fine
    when do they start to crash or hang or ... ?

thx
    ZYE
    They arent too shabby. However, the cobalt interface that comes with them is very testy. But not bad at all. The one thing I will tell you is to make sure that you check around on any of their security patches before applying them. Recently they had a patch/kernel upgrade for the RaQ 3 and 4's and it turned out to be very bad.
    -madman

"All true wisdom is found on T-shirts."

Hay, I have a RAQ3 server and to be honest they are not that bad, they can hold around 200 site they say but a propper linux box could easly hold more. If you dont know much about linux etc, i would say its good but it dont mean its easy, ie, if you edit some files by hand (via ssh or telnet) it can screw the GUI up. I have had one majore problem so far and that with with some group configs, but i got it sotred thx to some help.

So, humm well they are good, no where near as good as a propper linux box but if your starting out like me i think its a wise choice.

good luck

Luke

Originally posted by Lantins
    Hay, I have a RAQ3 server and to be honest they are not that bad, they can hold around 200 site they say but a propper linux box could easly hold more. If you dont know much about linux etc, i would say its good but it dont mean its easy, ie, if you edit some files by hand (via ssh or telnet) it can screw the GUI up. I have had one majore problem so far and that with with some group configs, but i got it sotred thx to some help.

So, humm well they are good, no where near as good as a propper linux box but if your starting out like me i think its a wise choice.

good luck

Luke
    I agree with Luke. Cobalt RaQ's are more for someone just starting to make friends with Tux. As far as the partially hard limit of 200 sites per box, I am not sure how accurate that is. I have actually heard that before, but it has never been proven to me.

When you do stuff from the prompt, there is a higher margin of error. But, if you have a decent provider that knows a smidge of Linux, you will be ok.
    -madman

"All true wisdom is found on T-shirts."