hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Advertising Forums : Web Hosting Related Offers & Requests : Other Offers & Requests : Design question

Forum Jump

Design question

Reply Post New Thread In Other Offers & Requests Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2001, 10:31 AM

Design question

Just a quick question,

let's say I have a great idea but I do not have sufficient expertise to design the web solution. The website would be designed by a company/freelance and involves using html/javascript/php/mysql etc

What is there to prevent the same company/freelance from starting a seperate website doing the EXACT same thing and getting me to pay him to do the programming in the first place?

Thank you

Notice to Consumers
Thread Summary Please be aware that every offer has limits beyond what is displayed in the thread. You should visit the site advertising and read any Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy they have in place. If you can't find answers on how they measure what you're purchasing, ask. If the offer or request doesn't regard some type of hosting, you still need to research beyond what’s printed in the ad.
  • Research any provider to know what limits are in place, especially with any offer concerning disk space and/or bandwidth. These are generally defined in the TOS or AUP.
  • Read provider reviews. If you find no reviews, create a thread and ask for others' first-hand experience with the provider.
  • If you're unsure on the exact details of an offer - ask. Simply respond to this thread and ask the provider for clarification.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2001, 11:04 AM
Web Hosting Master

You and the freelancer should sign a non-compete agreement and a non disclosure agreement. This should limit to what the freelancer can do after he/she develops your site.

Old 06-02-2001, 03:28 PM
Web Hosting Master

This should do it. You could sue/just scare off the freelancer from repeating the work.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2001, 03:40 PM
Web Hosting Master

If someone even tries to scam you like that, and you tell everyone by posting here or other places...that guy will never get any other projects. Also, if you copyright or patent your ideas, you shouldnt have any problems.

Jim

Old 06-03-2001, 03:45 PM
WHT Addict

Not necessarily- it's like *****... People on this board may never refer anyone to them or use them again, but they are still in business, and still getting new signups. While posting a negative review on this board certainly wouldn't help, I am guessing that many of the designer's local businesses _don't_ read this board, and hence wouldn't know about it.

Old 06-03-2001, 04:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

But you also have to consider that ***** is backed by millions of dollars in Venture Capital. Now, they have the budget to put huge ads all over the net, in magzines, and so on. Your right about the local web design company which may not visit this page. I think you should patent your ideas or just have them sign something.

Jim

Old 06-04-2001, 05:10 AM

Cases in point

Lets see two cases here,

***** and Tacidhost. What can be done?
Those are visible cases.

But software is more invisible, espeically the backend database programming. Let's say I spend money on a good idea that involves template-database-ecommerce-affiliate-adbanners etc. What is to prevent the company/freelancer from sticking another frontend to it and resell the idea to someone else.

Another person may be running the alternate and it will be VERY difficult to prove the duplication unless you can get access to the other person script listings.

Am I being paranoid?

Old 06-04-2001, 07:06 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by dherman76
You and the freelancer should sign a non-compete agreement and a non disclosure agreement. This should limit to what the freelancer can do after he/she develops your site.
this could help maybe a non disclosure then a 1 year no compete ??

do not do th scare tactic as someone else said though
my brother is a big attorney wrong thing he says walk up behind em never let em know you are coming and smack em

if you scare somebody they can get you back and you will win
never gointo a fight you know you can not win

hope you would never sign up with a guy who would make you fight
just like bad hosts bad designers are allover to (more ethcially I mena than anything)

but get a patent lawyer to write it up not yourslef
they can write it up in a way that locks a lot of stuff the way the words are written but it also has to be a patentable thing first off

best of luck

Old 06-04-2001, 10:44 AM

Wow

Honu

I love your site!

http://www.happyfish.com

Old 06-04-2001, 04:09 PM
Web Hosting Master

Re: Wow

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideasmiths
Honu

I love your site!

http://www.happyfish.com

Mahalos
funny its design is 3 years old now almost 4
we wanted a super clean timeless aproach that would go back to any browser (3 and above)
so far we are happy (pun intended)

Just updating the menus last night should have up in a few days and a small redesign layout a few weeks but nothgin to much of what we have trying to stick to the idea good design is ageless
again Mahalo on hte kudos

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
ITX Design Launches Service to Help Simplify PCI DSS Compliance Web Hosting News 2013-01-02 10:59:36
Server Sitters Adds Website Design Service for Web Hosts Web Hosting News 2012-12-21 16:57:19
Fake Web Hosting Invoices Issued in BC, Canada Fraud Case Web Hosting News 2012-11-15 10:00:39
Joomla Hosting Study Shows Speed, Uptime Top Selling Points of a Web Host Web Hosting News 2012-11-07 15:06:36
IT Services Firm GlowTouch Acquires Web Hosting Platform Metromojo Web Hosting News 2012-10-10 15:28:50