Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by edudomainhosting View Post
    Another good article that shows the insanity of US healthcare:

Arizona Hospital Charges Woman $83,000 To Treat Scorpion Sting:
    Insanity is an understatement. The situation here is sad, pathetic and embarrassing.
    TiaWood.com - Smart Web Development Explained

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    Steve, I hope you don't mind. What is your insurance company?
    Kaiser Permanente
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Kaiser Permanente
    Thank you
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Quote Originally Posted by edudomainhosting View Post
    Another good article that shows the insanity of US healthcare:

Arizona Hospital Charges Woman $83,000 To Treat Scorpion Sting:

lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2012/09/05/arizona-hospital-charges-woman-83000-to-treat-scorpion-sting/

Quote Originally Posted by meganerd View Post
    Insanity is an understatement. The situation here is sad, pathetic and embarrassing.
    But why is the gov't allowing this? Or they know this, its just that they also earn from this.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    That's crazy! Blood tests are free in Canada.
    They are not as they are paid by high taxes!

I knew a 97 year old woman, 80+ year smoker, took care of herself, never had health insurance, went to the doctor 2 times in her life, and lived a happy life.

I now know paranoid kids / adults going to the doctor every 2 weeks, fully covered under insurance, and most of them don't look nearly as healthy as the lady I knew.

It feels like a business sham. I'm not insured, 27 years old, take care of myself, and I do all my own "Preventive" stuff. I eat healthy, get my regular exercise, and shun stress at every chance I get. We're all gonna die, who needs health insurance! Health insurance is not "Insurance" from death.

The Blood Count test for $200, that's about my yearly expenses on bandaids, power bars, energy drinks, and doctors visits. I'd rather pay that a year than $250-$400 (Quoted health insurance cost) a month.
    GlowHost → Affordable Managed Web Hosting Since 2002.
    ۪Cloud Servers- Hot Failover + Clustered Storage
    ¬Managed Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated Servers
    ۪Shared & Reseller packages - 20 Min Ticket Response - 24/7/365 Phone & Live Chat

Quote Originally Posted by crazylane View Post
    They are not as they are paid by high taxes!
    The "high taxes" in Canada are not much worse than taxes in the USA.
    The big different is Canada doesn't dole out corporate welfare, such as huge farm subsidies.

There's also not as much tax evasion. High rates doesn't equate to collection being made.

As someone who works as a healthcare professional here in the US I certainly agree that costs are quite high. However, keep in mind that hospitals often hide their operating costs within the price of items. For example, a single pill may cost $70 because it pays for a fraction of the cost to pay nurses, pharmacist, pharmacy aids (to name a few) who are part of the medication process at the hospital. Running a hospital is a very very expensive ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Wright
    I knew a 97 year old woman, 80+ year smoker, took care of herself, never had health insurance, went to the doctor 2 times in her life, and lived a happy life."
    That's called good genes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Wright
    Health insurance is not "Insurance" from death.
    I disagree, health insurance can help decide whether you die at 16 from a ruptured appendix or live till 90 where you die from old age.
    Last edited by MikeWalczak; 10-01-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    MRI and CT scan of my head: $150
    This actually seems around standard pricing for a private scan over here the UK without any bloody insurance...

It seems if you don't have insurance in the U.S your paying highly excessive costs however if you do have the insurance your paying the correct cost...

I think my MRI brain scan over here the UK cost me £75 (without radiologist) if I remember correctly.

Regards,
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    It seems if you don't have insurance in the U.S your paying highly excessive costs however if you do have the insurance your paying the correct cost...
    Exactly, because you are paying for something that you do not use everyday and ultimately they are earning a lot from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWalczak View Post
    As someone who works as a healthcare professional here in the US I certainly agree that costs are quite high. However, keep in mind that hospitals often hide their operating costs within the price of items. For example, a single pill may cost $70 because it pays for a fraction of the cost to pay nurses, pharmacist, pharmacy aids (to name a few) who are part of the medication process at the hospital. Running a hospital is a very very expensive ordeal.
    This is given but for $200 CBC and a fraction of this will go the lab technician that's still too much for a simple job. $20 for CBC is already expensive but two hundred...is really unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick67 View Post
    The prices here are insane! Plus they charge and markup things that should not be charged for. I went to the ER once and on the bill was a 99.00 charge for a Blood Oxygen saturation test. Thats the little plastic clip they put on your finger.

Then once on a Bill my mother recieved after a stay there was a 500.00 charge for " mucas removal swabs" I.E. tissues! Sounds like they are using the Gov'ts 500.00 toilet billing system!

You can call and negotiate the pricing with them and have it reduced if you can navigate the system. Most people give up.
    When my little sister was born (1 lb, 12 oz.. super premie), between her few months stay in the NICU and my mom's week or week and a half stay, it was about $600,000 by the time everything was said and done.
    AS395558

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin
    This is given but for $200 CBC and a fraction of this will go the lab technician that's still too much for a simple job. $20 for CBC is already expensive but two hundred...is really unbelievable.
    Once again, that cost goes into maintaining/purchasing new equipment, calibrating machines several times a day as well as cost of lab supplies...etc.

Things add up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy
    When my little sister was born (1 lb, 12 oz.. super premie), between her few months stay in the NICU and my mom's week or week and a half stay, it was about $600,000 by the time everything was said and done.
    I believe it. I work in a pediatric Cardiac ICU and I have heard that base prices for a bed on our unit is roughly $10k-15k a day. That pays for all of the ICU physicians, NP's, nurses, monitors and other high tech monitoring equipment mounted in each room.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWalczak View Post

I believe it. I work in a pediatric Cardiac ICU and I have heard that base prices for a bed on our unit is roughly $10k-15k a day. That pays for all of the ICU physicians, NP's, nurses, monitors and other high tech monitoring equipment mounted in each room.
    what do you do?
    AS395558

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Wright View Post
    I'd rather pay that a year than $250-$400 (Quoted health insurance cost) a month.
    Health insurance doesn't have to be expensive. My high-deductible plan is $40/month. It covers 100% of expenses above the $5500 annual deductible, and they cover a free annual checkup. I put all the money that I save in a Health Savings Account using pre-tax dollars, and when I do have to pay for a medical expense, the withdrawal is tax free. Even for the bills under the deductible, the insurance company still negotiates the final price for me, like they would if they were going to pay the bill.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12