hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Comments on Interland?

Forum Jump

Comments on Interland?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2000, 07:24 AM
Mark C

Hi, we are about to pick a web host and are leaning towards Interland. Has anyone had any experience with these guys??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2000, 08:25 AM
Web Hosting Master

There have been many questions about their unreliability and comments are quite mixed.
http://www.scriptkeeper.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000718.html might scare you away!

What are you specifically looking for? People around here will be able to give better recommendations if you provide details.

Btw, Mark, I see you're on the same hosting provider as me (Telstra Big Pond Cable) - good to see you around!

[This message has been edited by BC (edited 05-29-2000).]

Old 05-29-2000, 09:15 AM
Mark C

Red face

****! What a list of complaints! There doesn't seem to be 1 web host around which doesn't have a mega list of complaints and warnings posted about it somewhere.

To elaborate, we need a host which will provide a whole series of pop e-mail accounts for use at our domain.

Hey BC, speaking of Telstra when are they going to give us our own IP address back? Since they turned their "transparent" proxy on I seem to have the same IP as a stack of others.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2000, 09:44 AM
SurfingJoe2000

Smile

MARK C -

Actually your reply was rather interesting.
I will agree many webhosting company's do have many complaints. One reason is many of the company's are one man operations which absolutely nothing is wrong with that. But many get overloaded and can not handle the clientel with just one person. This is what I have found to be the case.

Some of the complaints are legitimate. MANY complaints ARE NOT.

I would not believe everything you read. These forums and threads appear to be VERY bios. Especially when ther hosting company's come to the board and start replying and slammng other competition. Such as you will read on this board.

Thank you

Old 05-29-2000, 10:50 AM
WHT Addict

Interland is NOT a "one man operation". As a reseller (at that time) I had problems with them myself a year and a half ago. They repeatedly double billed me, had many FrontPage extension crashes, and tech support apparently would not actually read email before replying with standard answers like "we reinstalled extensions" when the email pointed out that had already been done. I eventually had to file a complaint with the States Attorney office before I got my money back that they had stolen (stolen defined as taking something without permission and refusing to return it).
I'll grant that was a long time ago, but judging by posts I read they have still not improved.
Biased? Well, if things had gone well, I would still be using them. That would not be competing with them would it?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the best example of their tech support level and "customer service". At one point their teches published my site to itself as a sub web (FrontPage) and than my "account rep" (whom I never heard of before or again) called me voice to complain that I was over file limit size and that I fix it right away! She continued to be belligerent even after I explained that it was their techs that did it!!

[This message has been edited by CFoxHost (edited 05-29-2000).]

Old 05-29-2000, 08:03 PM
Web Hosting Master

I partially agree with SurfingJoe as to be careful of such complaints. However, when they become extremely consistent (e.g. check Usenet - http://www.deja.com/group/alt.www.webmaster and it'll throw up plenty of search results about Interland) and you hear the same company time and again then questions do really arise as to whether they are legitimate or not.

Remember though, it's the Net - it's bloody easy to be anonymous. So you never know... But if the complaints are consistent and they come from all sorts of different sources, then suspicions are raised...

And Mark, as for Telstra, I have no blooming idea... I certainly didn't hear about this 'transparent proxy' until I noticed my IP address range had changed for the umpteenth time in the last 3 weeks! Grrrrrr.....

Hmmm, a whole series? 200? 300? What about space and features? I've got a short list of hosts that might suit you.

POP mailboxes are quite cheap to set up these days, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a decent mailbox host for a decent cost. Just don't go for any 'unlimited' hosts

Old 05-30-2000, 01:53 AM
Chicken

Not that you can't find this at a host (the POP emails), but have you looked at bn3.com ? I think you might like the system they have (and it won't matter who you are hosted by).

Old 05-30-2000, 01:27 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Interland are very good spammers they sent me over 40 emails in a week asking me to join there service when id never had any contact with them

Old 05-31-2000, 08:35 AM
Mark C

Talking

Well guys I read enough about Interland to scare me off. I've just signed up with Mavcorp ( www.mavcorp.net ). They allow for 100 pop accounts and 300 megs of space on NT servers. They were 1 of many that offered the features I was looking for but I picked them because:

1) Couldn't find too many negative comments/feedback about them.
2) Webmail access to all your pop accounts - real handy.
3) Price is fair and frozen for life - awesome if it's really true.
4) Corporate office and contact number in Australia (where I am) so I can speak to someone during local business hours if I need to. (but their servers are actually in California not Australia in case you're wondering.)

Hope these guys are as good as they appear to be!

Old 05-31-2000, 07:16 PM
Chicken

Like I said, if 100 is not enough, check out bn3.com!!!

Old 07-18-2000, 04:03 PM
davids

Though I have seen plenty of negative comments about Interland, I have not noticed anything wrong myself. We host our website with them and it has yet to go down. (Knock on wood) As for the support, sure I used to stay on hold for an hour or so, but lately it has been nothing but the best. Anyhow, hope your experience is as good as mine!

Old 07-18-2000, 06:56 PM
Web Hosting Master

While I have read about some problems with Interland, I can attest to one personally. I was spammed more than two weeks ago by a site hosted by Interland. Despite having reported it twice to Interland, even quoting their obviously hypocritical policies against spam with the second report, this site is still functional.

See for yourselves. http://www.lightspeedmarketing.com is a spamware site (they sell spam servives and software) Do a whois lookup and you will see it is hosted by Interland.

Registranteko and Associates (LIGHTSPEEDMARKETING-DOM)
PO Box 493
Centreville, VA 20122
US

Domain Name: LIGHTSPEEDMARKETING.COM
Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:
Patton, Dave (RM13375) admin@LIGHTSPEEDMARKETING.COM
Peko and Associates
21495 Ridgetop Circle
Sterling, VA 20166
(703) 406-7805
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Support, Tech (TS6330) hostmaster@INTERLAND.COM
Interland, Inc.
101 Marietta St Ste 200
Atlanta, GA 30303
800-589-5060 (FAX) 404-586-0001

Record last updated on 31-Mar-2000.
Record expires on 01-Oct-2000.
Record created on 01-Oct-1998.
Database last updated on 18-Jul-2000 02:18:20 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

DNS1.INTERLAND.NET 64.224.20.132
DNS2.INTERLAND.NET 64.224.20.133

That should be reason enough for anybody to pass on Interland, or even to leave them. Any spam haven should be avoided. If you lay down with dogs, you'll get up with fleas (and ticks).

[This message has been edited by Duster (edited 07-18-2000).]

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Neustar Releases New gTLDs and DNS Collision Analysis Web Hosting News 2013-09-18 13:58:36
US Attorney says Government Should Have Warrants to Search Email Web Hosting News 2013-05-16 15:09:26
Egnyte Launches Content Cloud Storage and Sharing Infrastructure Service Web Hosting News 2012-11-15 12:01:19
UK Web Host The Bunker Names Sales and Marketing Director Web Hosting News 2012-10-01 10:56:16
Web Host Immedion Names Director of HR and Administration Web Hosting News 2012-08-16 10:50:33