Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stablehost problems

I signed up for stablehost about a month ago for just a shared hosting package and just feel like I have had way too many outages... at least that I have been aware of. Who knows how often it is down that I have not been looking. Has anybody else noticed these issues? Is it just a recent thing or is this what I can expect on an ongoing basis? I am ready to move on to another company.

I have heard nothing but good things about them but I just can't believe how bad it has been.

Have you tried requesting them to move you to a different server? or worked it out with their support team, perhaps management?

However, if you have made up your mind to move away to a different host, there are several out there - check out the hosting offers section.

I'm surprised to hear this. What's your ticket number on the outages?

Did you just go down? We had a scheduled maintenance tonight that we emailed everyone about.

There shouldn't be any other recent outages that I'm aware of though.

Is it a scheduled outage? You got a pretty fast response from StableHost here as I can see. Hope everything is resolved soon.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

My site was down today(503041) for about 5 hours based on my analytics which was what was down. No data coming in for 5 hours. It only was restored when I submitted a ticket.

The previous issue(513147) was a couple weeks prior when the mysql server went down. It came back up shortly after I noticed it. I was not informed so I submitted a ticket that I would have liked to be informed when my site goes down since I was not.

Also there has been a few times that I went to my site and I would get what I assumed was a dns error but tonight I got that same couldn't connect error and also checked it over my cell and had the same issue. This would indicate that it must be something other than my dns having trouble.

I haven't had these issues with the other hosts I have used. Seems to me that stablehost isn't so stable.

ps... stablehost has been very responsive to my tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by crumb View Post
    Has anybody else noticed these issues?
    I personally haven't heard of many StableHost outages... ever. However, hopefully they can get this fixed for you. They are a great provider from all of the reviews i've read on the forum!
    Kyle C. - Sales & Marketing Director
    Managed VPS - tmzVPS.com - Florida, US/Los Angeles, US/United Kingdom Locations - INSTANT Setup - cPanel/WHM Included - Fully Managed & Unmanaged VPS's
    14 day money back guarantee | 5+ Years in Business | PaypalAlertPayGoogle Checkout2CheckOut★Liberty Reserve Accepted

My site was down today(503041) for about 5 hours based on my analytics which was what was down. No data coming in for 5 hours. It only was restored when I submitted a ticket.

The previous issue(513147) was a couple weeks prior when the mysql server went down. It came back up shortly after I noticed it. I was not informed so I submitted a ticket that I would have liked to be informed when my site goes down since I was not.

Also there has been a few times that I went to my site and I would get what I assumed was a dns error but tonight I got that same couldn't connect error and also checked it over my cell and had the same issue. This would indicate that it must be something other than my dns having trouble.

I haven't had these issues with the other hosts I have used. Seems to me that stablehost isn't so stable.

ps... stablehost has been very responsive to my tickets.

I can assure you, the server wasn't down for 5 hours today. 503041 refers to a PHP module that you needed installed.

We haven't changed PHP settings in months on that server, are you sure it didn't start requiring it or did it auto update?

The 10 minute outage tonight was a scheduled maintenance window that we sent you 2 emails about.

based on my analytics
    These may not be accurate.
    Analytics are subjected to numerous variables that give false results.

I've had almost 100% uptime for 3 years now with Stablehost.

There was a small downtime this past weekend, but an email was sent several days prior, so it was planned for and expected. It only lasted maybe 2-3 hours that I saw. I'd have to check my local logs for exact times, but it wasn't unacceptable given what it was for (server re-racking).
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

We'll be happy to move you to another server though, please reply to #503041 authorizing the transfer and we'll get it done ASAP.

Facts:
    A. Piwik does not auto-update. I have to take action. Which there was no update or action to take.
    B. Piwik has ran without this error for a month.
    C. My analytics data stops today at 11:47:31 and starts back up at 18:29:53 (~7 hours later) for one site and for the other lower traffic site it stops at 11:27:31 and starts back up at 19:59:09.
    D. My second analytics software shows constant user actions through that time.
    E. The php modules Piwik said was missing when I found the issue are required upon installation (php_pdo.so and php_mysql_pdo.so)

The scheduled maintenance could be the reason for the second outage, but still doesn't explain my previous experience not being able to access the server through my isp. This could have merely been a dns issue. I still have not had this much trouble just keeping a site up with any other vendor. It has been a month and my site has been down twice that I know of. The first time I was not notified so who knows how many times my site has gone down. Maybe none but how am I to tell? The second time for at least 6 hours.

... I will be happy to move to another server, but if I continue to have problems what is my course of action at that point. As of now I can cancel and get my money back as I am still within my 45 days. In a week I will no longer have that ability.

- Sorry, but Piwik is not a reliable uptime monitor.
    - ISP DNS are notoriously crap. Switch to Google DNS or OpenDNS.

I firmly believe Stablehost is being unjustly blamed here.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I will be happy to move to another server, but if I continue to have problems what is my course of action at that point. As of now I can cancel and get my money back as I am still within my 45 days. In a week I will no longer have that ability.
    IF the outages are correct and Stablehost are at fault, then I'm sure they would be willing to extend your money back guarantee when they transfer you. However Stablehost have confirmed there was no downtime for 5 hours today.

When you are notified of these outages, have you tried to load your site ? or are you just going by uptime monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    These may not be accurate.
    Analytics are subjected to numerous variables that give false results.
    True. Best to monitor your site with Pingdom. You can monitor upto 5 sites with Pingdom for free.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    True. Best to monitor your site with Pingdom. You can monitor upto 5 sites with Pingdom for free.
    No. You can monitor 1 site for free. 5 sites cost $9.95/mo.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

Quote Originally Posted by lakridserne View Post
    No. You can monitor 1 site for free. 5 sites cost $9.95/mo.
    Sorry, that's what I meant to say. Thanks for correcting me.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Pingdom has false results, too.
    The only way to ascertain downtime is from multiple concurrent sources.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Pingdom has false results, too.
    The only way to ascertain downtime is from multiple concurrent sources.
    Funny, few say that from time to time. I've never had any problems with Pingdom regarding stats being inaccurate. Had a billing problem after being with them for 2 + years but that's about it. I find their service is very reliable.

Funny, few say that from time to time. I've never had any problems with Pingdom regarding stats being inaccurate. Had a billing problem after being with them for 2 + years but that's about it. I find their service is very reliable.
    We had a brief outage where pingdom had connectivity issues and thought we were completely offline when we absolutely were not offline. It was only once, and I don't recall how long it lasted (hours, maybe?)... It was within the last few months, I think.

To the OP: Next time you think your site is down, I would suggest opening a support ticket with your host right away so they can help you identify if it is really down or if it is something on your end. As you said, it could be an issue with your DNS, but also consider issues with your ISP or the routing between your ISP and your host. Also, if checking with your phone, be sure it isn't connected to the same wifi network as your computer, or it will just get the same result.
    Scott Swezey
    TCL Fasteners, Inc.
    Automotive fasteners for collision shops.

I can recall Pingdom having one issue where their control panel was down. Else they have been very reliable for me.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

I have alerts sent to my phone.
    If I'm asleep, I don't even get out of bed unless two of them concur.
    Same if away from a computer, etc. Don't even bother to check unless 2 of 3 agree.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Lets assume for a minute that I am not a bumbling idiot when it comes to web stuff and that maybe stablehost doesn't want everybody on webhosting talk to know they made a mistake that took a customers analytics down for 6 hours.
    Here are some more facts:

1. I have been running my own LAMP server at home for the last 8 years. Plus dabbled with tomcat.
    2. I have been working in web dev for 8 years.
    3. I have been using Piwik for about 6 years.
    4. I AM using openDNS (now that you bring it up)
    5. I have my wifi off on my phone for other reasons ALWAYS (plus I checked prior to trying to access my site - since a different network was the purpose behind even using my phone)
    6. My website outage for the 6 hours was not because the server was down but because a php module was at some point turned off. Since I don't have access to the php.ini file it was not me that turned it off.
    7. I do have redundant analytics running elsewhere which shows data coming in for the 6 hours that my stablehost analytics was not receiving anything.

If stablehost is as good as everybody says they are then I am still willing to give them another chance.

I recognized that I am not perfect and could have made a mistake but the data does not lie. If there is another explanation I would like to hear it.

Have you checked your apache error log in your public_html folder to see what was going on for this time period? If it's due to a missing php module, it should be noted in there if this is a cPanel server. Then you have some proof.

Lets assume for a minute that I am not a bumbling idiot when it comes to web stuff and that maybe stablehost doesn't want everybody on webhosting talk to know they made a mistake that took a customers analytics down for 6 hours.
    Here are some more facts:

1. I have been running my own LAMP server at home for the last 8 years. Plus dabbled with tomcat.
    2. I have been working in web dev for 8 years.
    3. I have been using Piwik for about 6 years.
    4. I AM using openDNS (now that you bring it up)
    5. I have my wifi off on my phone for other reasons ALWAYS (plus I checked prior to trying to access my site - since a different network was the purpose behind even using my phone)
    6. My website outage for the 6 hours was not because the server was down but because a php module was at some point turned off. Since I don't have access to the php.ini file it was not me that turned it off.
    7. I do have redundant analytics running elsewhere which shows data coming in for the 6 hours that my stablehost analytics was not receiving anything.

If stablehost is as good as everybody says they are then I am still willing to give them another chance.

I recognized that I am not perfect and could have made a mistake but the data does not lie. If there is another explanation I would like to hear it.
    Nonetheless, I'd still recommend getting something like pingdom set-up (its free) and will give you another source to monitor your website's uptime. Just keep in mind (as many have already stated) that 3rd party monitoring software will/can report inaccurate information from time to time.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by twikamltd View Post
    Have you checked your apache error log in your public_html folder to see what was going on for this time period? If it's due to a missing php module, it should be noted in there if this is a cPanel server. Then you have some proof.
    Unfortunately the error log is quite uninformative. I suspect it may be that piwik gracefully handles the absence of this module in its own code and therefore doesn't throw an error on the server. It just tells the user at access time what is missing so I can fix it.

Im with stablehost my self, according to Pingdom I have had 30 downtimes during the last 6 months, giving me a downtime of 6 hours and 39 minutes.

I havent been able confirm everytime, but the times where Im sitting at my computer getting the "alert down" email, I havent been able to confirm any downtime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast