hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Software and Control Panels : What's new in cPanel 6?

Forum Jump

What's new in cPanel 6?

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Software and Control Panels Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Web Hosting Master

What's new in cPanel 6?

I'm currently running cPanel 5, but I'm interested in cPanel 6...just one question though, what's new? Is there anything really good that I should know about?!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Disabled

heres the cpanel news since 6

Minor Changes. The email account listing now includes disk space.
Reseller Stats now includes the allocated disk space.
cPanel Branding (see cpanel 6 header in whm).
(6.0.0 build 94 or later only)

Fixups WHM now generates an error when unable to connect to a remote nameserver.
Fix an issue with awstats not running on some systesm.
Fixed a problem with the advanced guestbook, phpbb, and other php programs in cPanel.
Fixed a problem with horde under redhat 8.x.
Fixed a problem with changing the password from the webmail interface with addon domains.
Fixed a problem with installing xmb.
Severity:
(6.0.0 build 94 or later only)

Minimum UID Setting. Please do not set the MINUID in Server Setup to a value under 500 as suexec and other secuirty measures will not work.

cPanel 6 RELEASE & STABLE. cPanel 6 is now avalible in the RELEASE and STABLE trees. (6.0.0 build 72,73 or later only)

New Bandwidth System Features. Admins and user will now recieve an email when a user's bandwidth limit has been reached. WHM new displays the bandwidth limit on the bandwidth usage page. Accounts suspended because they have gone over their traffic limit are now listed under the systemed accounts page. You can now disable the bandwidth limit checking/suspension under Tweak Settings.
(6.0.0 build 71 or later only)

Filter Test You can now test how email filters/blockers with behave (this only tests filters you have created in cPanel).
(6.0.0 build 69 or later only)

Improved Crontab Editor There is a new crontab editor which is more human readable/friendly.

Fixups The pop3 connection flood checker is now less sensitive.
Hidden pids are no longer checked for under RedHat 8.x as the 'ps' utility that comes with RedHat 8.x has unresolved problems.
Fixed a problem with the park function allowing invalid domains to be parked.
New crontabs no longer display 'no crontab for user'.
Worked around a problem with awstats using ip.address.conf.
Patched stunnel to properly work with chained certificates.
New Addon domains no longer redirect to their subdomain conterpart.
New Parked domains do not grab *.domain.com, which prevented subdomains from being setup on parked domains.
All traces of openwebmail have been elimiated as it has multiple secuirty issues.
Fix a large secuirty hole in guestbook.cgi
A bug in cppop's flood protection was fixed.
Fixed a problem with the listpops page which caused a javascript error under IE when Outlook Express(R) Auto Config was disabled.
SSH/Telnet no longer show up in cPanel if the user does not have a valid shell (default themes only).
Severity:

cPanel Secuirty Updates If you have disabled updates, you have not recieved 2 critical updates. You should Click Here to Update your /scripts. Once that is completed, Click Here to update cPanel.
Severity:

cPanel 6 EDGE Users If you are using a cPanel 6 EDGE build, do not downgrade to cPanel 5 RELEASE or STABLE as the bandwidth tracking systems are not compatible. If you have already done this, please have your admin run the following from a root shell (or contact support@cpanel.net to have us do it for you):
/scripts/updatenow;/scripts/cleanbw;echo "CPANEL=edge" >> /etc/cpupdate.conf;/scripts/upcp

Severity:

Ip Deny Manager You can now block selected ip addresses from accessing your site in cPanel. (6.0.0 build 47 or later only)

Fixups Account creation now send an email to the reseller creating the account as well as the server owner.
Fixed a problem with domains showing up twice in List Subdomains.
Restore Backup now lists users in alphabetical order.

Severity:
(6.0.0 build 43 or later only)

Reset Accounts to Package Bandwidth You can now easily reset an account to the bandwidth limit that is associated with the package it is on. (6.0.0 build 43 or later only)

Unparking a Addon Domain You can now unpark a domain that has been parked on top of a subdomain (addon domain) from the List SubDomains Function. (6.0.0 build 43 or later only)

Outgoing SMTP Limits You can now prevent the user 'nobody' from sending mail outside of the server. You can also limit the amount of emails each domain can send per hour. (6.0.0 build 42 or later only)

SMTP Bandwidth Outgoing SMTP Bandwidth is now monitored. (6.0.0 build 42 or later only)

cppop 3.0 cppop 3.0 support limiting the number of connections per host (flood control), as well as limiting the number of times a user can login per hour. (6.0.0 build 41 or later only)

Anonymous Ftp Logs for Ipless Domains Domains that have a shared ip address will now have webalizer ftp stats. (6.0.0 build 41 or later only)

Contact Manager You can now change where specific types of alerts go and alter their which contact method each one uses. (6.0.0 build 41 or later only)

Clustering Core The clustering core is now integrated into the Web Host Manager system. Version 6.1 should have the first cluster aware functions. (6.0.0 build 41 or later only)

Disk Space Warnings Users will now recieve a warning when their account is about to exceed its quota. This can be disabled in 'Tweak Settings'. (6.0.0 build 41 or later only)

Mailbox Quota Warnings Users will now recieve a warning when one of their mailboxes are about to exceed their quota. This can be disabled in 'Tweak Settings'. (6.0.0 build 41 or later only)

rrdtool Integration rrdtool graphs are now generated on for cPanel yearly, monthly, and daily bandwidth stats. (6.0.0 build 41 or later only)

Detailed Bandwidth Reporting The type of traffic (http,pop3,ftp), and the day that the traffic happened is now displayed in cPanel's bandwidth page. (6.0.0 build 41 or later only)

Improved Bandwidth Monitoring mod_log_bytes now records the exact time that files were downloaded via http. (6.0.0 build 41 or later only)

Fixups Fixed a problem with Internet Explorer and Addon Scripts.
Phpmyadmin no longer gives improper warnings.
Neomail fixes for RedHat 8.x.
Fixed a Problem with Remote Access Keys under RedHat 8.x.
Additional Secuirty Added for Addon Accounts with Ftp.
Mail Trouble Shooter is now Graphical.
.files are no longer displays as languages.
Fixed a problem with multiple ScriptAliases in httpd.conf.
Vastly improved file locking over nfs.
dcpumon fixed under FreeBSD.
Negitve ACLS are now red.
SIGUSR1 is only sent at the end of the month now.
Fixed a problem with installing comodo ssl certificates (buy a crt) under Internet Explorer.

Severity:
(6.0.0 build 40 or later only)

Old 03-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Web Hosting Master

lots of new things. upgrade it

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2003, 03:30 PM
Web Hosting Master

Nothing but trouble for us all the way around. Broken themes, broken email, broken spam assasin...an absolute mess. On several servers too. I guess nobody else's clients notice this stuff.

Old 03-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Web Hosting Master

BUG FIXES! upgrade that biotch!

Old 03-06-2003, 05:42 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by lightnin
Nothing but trouble for us all the way around. Broken themes, broken email, broken spam assasin...an absolute mess. On several servers too. I guess nobody else's clients notice this stuff.
whats weird for me is they moved the login page, right after you log in to CPanel i sometimes get "this document has moved" but i tried to clear my cache and to no avail. Than i popped my hard drive and incidentally had to reinstall everything -- after which i dont get the redirect scripting anymore, but some of my customers do...it has left me a bit

Old 03-08-2003, 07:16 AM
Web Hosting Master

Are the themes automatically updated when you upgrade to CPanel 6? I'm currently using the Vertex theme (which I customized a bit). Will it break anything?

Old 03-08-2003, 08:31 AM
learning is in the doing

Won't 'break' but will overwrite, otherwise, how could you have Themes with the new features? Customized Themes are a drawback with Major releases as one has to adapt their own code to accomodate the new changes.

Old 03-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Web Hosting Master

Well I upgraded to CPanel 6, and I must say I love the new CronTab creation page .

I had no problems what-so-ever with the upgrade, and am now using cPanel Xskin v1.6.

Was a good upgrade me thinks .

Thanks for the information atjeu

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
cPanel Security Updates Address Perl Module Vulnerabilities Web Hosting News 2012-12-06 12:55:54
Hosting Control Panel cPanel & WHM 11.34 Release Hits Stable Tier Web Hosting News 2012-11-12 17:04:57
cPanel Releases cPanel, WHM 11.34 with New User Interface Web Hosting News 2012-10-16 13:09:49
cPanel Conference 2012: Branding and How to Do it Better with Felipe Gasper Web Hosting News 2012-10-09 18:00:02
Video: cPanel and Attracta Talk About Integrating SEO Tools into the Hosting Control Panel Whir Tv 2013-10-05 05:55:56