Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1

    Thumbs down Sharktech.net didnít meet my expectations (DDOS Filtering)

    Ok, so i started receiving an attack and i contacted Sharktech.net to inquire about their DDOS Filtering, i got in touch with Tim.

    I asked him if they can handle DDOS attacks. He replied.

    We can protect servers inside of our network of DDoS attacks with the capacity to handle upto 20Gbps.
    I got happy, and personally with their cost effective servers i thought they will be great for me for years. I started transferring my sites starting from non-DDOS sites and finished with the DDOS prone site. As soon as the attack came it bought down all my websites and crashed my mysql databases. I asked them previously if everything is setup for DDOS filtering and i was told yes.

    When it crashed my website i told them to harden the DDOS Filtering and here is what they said.

    The hardware firewall in our network will block the attacks to the servers. But if the attack is too large then the firewall will automatically null route the server to prevent the server from crashing down. Once the attack stops or subsides the null route will be removed automatically.
    Then my response

    I know how it works. I was under the impression that DDOS attack which i am receiving is well under the range of your capability which is why i signed up.
    Later response

    I understood your concerns. Michael is better to handle such issues as he is Our Network admin.

    Thanks for your patience on this.
    Michael didn't show up for hours. Then basically i asked them for a refund (After 20 hours max, due to migration) since i know they dont have the capability of DDOS filtering as what they claimed after i signed up.

    Their response came.

    We can not issue a refund for your payment. All payments to Sharktech are final.
    So basically, they are not honest of what they claim. Don't go for them purely for DDOS protection. Go for them if you want just hosting as it is cheap. But their support and protection may not be for you.

    <<snipped>>

    Thanks.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 02-09-2015 at 08:59 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    3,744
    I am sorry to hear of your issues and that your first post on WHT was a problematic one. Perhaps the company's rep can chime in here and help you out. Maybe they can put forth some addditional ACLs? Did you ask them what size the attack is and if they can filter it further?

    How much bandwidth do you actually use with your sites? Perhaps you can sign up for remote bandwidth protection.
    AYKsolutions.com - High Bandwidth Specialists - 100TB/1Gbps/10Gbps Unmetered
    Over 20 Global Locations - Asia, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, US, CA, EU - Bare Metal and Virtual Cloud. All Managed.
    View our current Specials.
    We are Professional. Painless. Polite.
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    The attack was around 9-10 gbps. This is why i signed up, knowing that their protection should be able to hold up. Unfortunately, their claim was just for me to sign up.

    I am open to remote protection, let me know if there is a good one.
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,553
    You can try Cloudflare Business. It starts at $200/mo. You can also look at Vistnet which starts at $270/mo I believe.
    Wow Technologies Inc.
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,141
    Quote Originally Posted by VN-Ken View Post
    You can try Cloudflare Business. It starts at $200/mo. You can also look at Vistnet which starts at $270/mo I believe.
    From what I understand, cloudflare does not have a real ddos protection.
    is the place to be.
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001.
      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,141
    Quote Originally Posted by cheenamalai View Post
    The attack was around 9-10 gbps. This is why i signed up, knowing that their protection should be able to hold up. Unfortunately, their claim was just for me to sign up.

    I am open to remote protection, let me know if there is a good one.
    Looking at their response, I don't think they have a real ddos protection.
    is the place to be.
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001.
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,553
    Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    From what I understand, cloudflare does not have a real ddos protection.
    You're going to have to define what you call 'real ddos protection'.

    We use their services, and it definitely has proven itself to us.
    Wow Technologies Inc.
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,141
    Quote Originally Posted by VN-Ken View Post
    You're going to have to define what you call 'real ddos protection'.

    We use their services, and it definitely has proven itself to us.

    I am talking about 10Gbps attack.

    Since you used them, what kind of attack you got that cloudflare stopped/protected it?
    is the place to be.
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001.
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    3,744
    OP, how much clean traffic do you need?
    AYKsolutions.com - High Bandwidth Specialists - 100TB/1Gbps/10Gbps Unmetered
    Over 20 Global Locations - Asia, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, US, CA, EU - Bare Metal and Virtual Cloud. All Managed.
    View our current Specials.
    We are Professional. Painless. Polite.
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    I am talking about 10Gbps attack.

    Since you used them, what kind of attack you got that cloudflare stopped/protected it?
    On the free tier cloudflare can handle ~<800mbps without issue. After that if its all single-source, all of the traffic will hit the same one of CloudFlare's DC's and will probably cause problems (One of my personal sites got hit by a reasonably large attack over a year ago). Works great for layer 7 attacks though.

    A properly distributed attack should be nicely scattered across their network and not problematic though.
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,951
    Cloudflare do not have real DDOS protection. You can get software and see real server IP. We tested and it really works.
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by BalticServers Andrius View Post
    Cloudflare do not have real DDOS protection.
    Only if you haven't configured it well . All that software does is check direct, direct-connect A records and MX records.
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    Only if you haven't configured it well . All that software does is check direct, direct-connect A records and MX records.
    I personally tested software to see IP behind cloudflare. It really works. It is like a fake ddos protection.
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by BalticServers Andrius View Post
    I personally tested software to see IP behind cloudflare. It really works. It is like a fake ddos protection.
    I'll re-enable CloudFlare on my personal domain and I can almost guarantee that software won't work for finding the IP
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    I'll re-enable CloudFlare on my personal domain and I can almost guarantee that software won't work for finding the IP
    Depends on software Do not be guaranteed
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by BalticServers Andrius View Post
    Depends on software Do not be guaranteed
    There's no way to get the IP without checking historical records which as far as I know nobody but domaintools keeps

    Will PM you with my domain once DNS has propagated.
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    There's no way to get the IP without checking historical records which as far as I know nobody but domaintools keeps

    Will PM you with my domain once DNS has propagated.
    Waiting for your PM
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by BalticServers Andrius View Post
    Waiting for your PM
    And sent . Results should be interesting.
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,278
    OP, How much did you pay for the server that you expect to be able to handle 10Gbps DDoS attack?
    CNSERVERS.COM Portland, Oregon since 2005
    Fully DDoS Protected BGP Network - Hardware Based Automatic Network and Application Level Protection
    IP Transit / Colocation / DDOS-Protected Server / High Bandwidth Server
    Portland, OR / Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, LA / Frankfurt, Germany
      0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    I paid 360$ something, i signed up just because they said they had the capability. I should have looked at the reviews more.
      0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by cheenamalai View Post
    Ok, so i started receiving an attack and i contacted Sharktech.net to inquire about their DDOS Filtering, i got in touch with Tim.

    I asked him if they can handle DDOS attacks. He replied.



    I got happy, and personally with their cost effective servers i thought they will be great for me for years. I started transferring my sites starting from non-DDOS sites and finished with the DDOS prone site. As soon as the attack came it bought down all my websites and crashed my mysql databases. I asked them previously if everything is setup for DDOS filtering and i was told yes.

    When it crashed my website i told them to harden the DDOS Filtering and here is what they said.



    Then my response



    Later response



    Michael didn't show up for hours. Then basically i asked them for a refund (After 20 hours max, due to migration) since i know they dont have the capability of DDOS filtering as what they claimed after i signed up.

    Their response came.



    So basically, they are not honest of what they claim. Don't go for them purely for DDOS protection. Go for them if you want just hosting as it is cheap. But their support and protection may not be for you.

    Now my server is sitting here..if anyone wants to use it let me know you can pay me whatever.

    Thanks.
    cheenamalai,

    First of all, yes as I have informed you our systems are capable to filter upto 20Gbps. However, due to the fact that most of our peers are at 10GE links and due to the fact that your attacks going entirely on one provider and not the other effecting our entire network, we do limit attacks at <10Gbps and nullroute IP of the destination of the attack.

    As I write you this message your systems is being attacked with 3-4 Gbps, the attacks keep switching IPs and our systems keep on adapting and blocking the new targetted IP.

    I was informed of the details of your case during the entire time and almost 99% of your attacks were being filtered (just like they are right now without nullrouting the destination IP).

    If you find a provider that can protect you from even 10Gbps attacks for the price we are offering you, please by ALL means go ahead and move there.

    DDoS protection is an extremely costly business, the bandwidth your attack has caused us so far exceeded what you have paid already.

    We have been in business for almost 10 years now, we have dealt with DDoS attacks north of 40Gbps, we understand your frustration, our mission is to help budget companies coupe with the damage of these attacks and remain in business. However, at the same time we need to take in consideration many factors, (A) We don't want to effect our entire network because of one IP. (B) We don't want to effect your entire server because of one IP. (C) When the attack reaches 10Gbps on one of our upstream providers links there is a very good chance the attack is much higher than that, and at this point even if we filter the attack it's really not going to help since traffic is already being dropped at this level.
    Tim Timrawi
    Founder, Sharktech
    https://sharktech.net
    Sharktech provides secure cyberspace with unique in-line and cloud-based DDoS protection.
      0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by cheenamalai View Post
    I paid 360$ something, i signed up just because they said they had the capability. I should have looked at the reviews more.
    You need to re-align your expectations. $360 isn't going to get you 10gbps of DDoS protection, period. $3600 may not either. (At least not sustained, getting hit frequently/for large periods of time)

    Now that you understand that you should look at what you're doing and either pay for real protection, or change your architecture to be able to sustain large attacks at a low cost (ie distribute/balance services over many providers) -- likely still costly and may not be possible depending on what type of site/service you're running.
      0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigy View Post
    cheenamalai,

    First of all, yes as I have informed you our systems are capable to filter upto 20Gbps. However, due to the fact that most of our peers are at 10GE links and due to the fact that your attacks going entirely on one provider and not the other effecting our entire network, we do limit attacks at <10Gbps and nullroute IP of the destination of the attack.

    As I write you this message your systems is being attacked with 3-4 Gbps, the attacks keep switching IPs and our systems keep on adapting and blocking the new targetted IP.

    I was informed of the details of your case during the entire time and almost 99% of your attacks were being filtered (just like they are right now without nullrouting the destination IP).

    If you find a provider that can protect you from even 10Gbps attacks for the price we are offering you, please by ALL means go ahead and move there.

    DDoS protection is an extremely costly business, the bandwidth your attack has caused us so far exceeded what you have paid already.

    We have been in business for almost 10 years now, we have dealt with DDoS attacks north of 40Gbps, we understand your frustration, our mission is to help budget companies coupe with the damage of these attacks and remain in business. However, at the same time we need to take in consideration many factors, (A) We don't want to effect our entire network because of one IP. (B) We don't want to effect your entire server because of one IP. (C) When the attack reaches 10Gbps on one of our upstream providers links there is a very good chance the attack is much higher than that, and at this point even if we filter the attack it's really not going to help since traffic is already being dropped at this level.
    None of my sites are on your server at the moment so not sure how your IPs are magically being hit by 3-4Gbps attacks. I signed up to your service "thinking" that 20Gbps would be able to handle my max 10-11 Gbps attacks (most of them falling before your null-route range). However, they continued to be null routed. Not just that but my other IPs on the same server were being effected causing the sites to crash. Your network administer wasn't available to deal with the attack nor were your firewall were designed to mitigate it.

    It was just a waste, i didn't just waste my time, money, but was hurt that i wasn't compensated. I have already requested the server to be deleted, but seems like it is still on hold because ticket may not have been forwarded to the sales team.

    Anyways, no hard feelings.
      0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by cheenamalai View Post
    None of my sites are on your server at the moment so not sure how your IPs are magically being hit by 3-4Gbps attacks. I signed up to your service "thinking" that 20Gbps would be able to handle my max 10-11 Gbps attacks (most of them falling before your null-route range). However, they continued to be null routed. Not just that but my other IPs on the same server were being effected causing the sites to crash. Your network administer wasn't available to deal with the attack nor were your firewall were designed to mitigate it.

    It was just a waste, i didn't just waste my time, money, but was hurt that i wasn't compensated. I have already requested the server to be deleted, but seems like it is still on hold because ticket may not have been forwarded to the sales team.

    Anyways, no hard feelings.
    The attack is STILL going against your server as we speak. I have no reason to lie to you about that. If you want open a helpdesk ticket and I'll gladly paste you a sample of the attack. There is NOTHING magical about it.

    I have no idea how would your "database" be crashing because of the attack unless this is a service attack and your system was not configured properly to handle service based attacks. The reason your other IPs were being effected was exactly the reason why we nullrouted the attacked IP. The current attack you are receiving isn't even

    The ticket was forwarded to the sales department and was handled according to our Terms of Service policy which you agreed on purchasing our service.
    Tim Timrawi
    Founder, Sharktech
    https://sharktech.net
    Sharktech provides secure cyberspace with unique in-line and cloud-based DDoS protection.
      0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    change your architecture to be able to sustain large attacks at a low cost (ie distribute/balance services over many providers) -- likely still costly and may not be possible depending on what type of site/service you're running.
    My sites are running vBulletin. How can balance/distribute over many providers? Would you be kind enough to tell me more?
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2015, 01:05 AM
  2. High Performance DDoS Protected Cloud - Sharktech.net
    By Jigy in forum Cloud Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2015, 11:23 PM
  3. Sharktech.net - High Performance DDoS Protected Cloud
    By Jigy in forum Cloud Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2015, 04:01 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •