VPS with large disk space - do they exist?

I am looking for a Windows VPS server in the U.S. with 750GB of space to use as a FTP server.

I don't need ram/cpu power but im not sure if the 'virtual enviroment' allows for such large disk space to be allocated to one account as i cannot see any such configuration on any webhost websites.

Reliability is more important than cost.

Any thoughts?

I don't know of any 'VPS' that offers as much space, it would essentially require nearly an entire large capacity drive to be allocated to you and you alone. It's more feasible in a SAN/Cloud type of environment but still unlikely.

At the end of the day, if you really need 750GB, your best option is going to be a dedicated server.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

If you really need 750GB Disk, Why not contact the sales department of any VPS provider? Im sure they will be able to sort a deal out for you.

It's certainly an opportunity in the market that's being ignored currently. It's anyone guess as to why this is not being offered. Plenty of people would want something like this for storing backups etc.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Could I ask, What is your budget for a VPS with 750GB Disk and Windows or Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaNicholson View Post
    Could I ask, What is your budget for a VPS with 750GB Disk and Windows or Linux?
    He already said that he needs Windows.

@OP. To answer your question directly, yes its possible and I am pretty sure it can be done. Though it requires that the host node is setup with larger number of disk arrays. Though I am slightly unsure if a host will get you a VPS exactly as per your needs (I mean stripping off the CPU and RAM to a minimal). However, I am curious to know how do you define minimum CPU and RAM and most importantly what is your budget.

Also it would be good if you can confirm your BW requirements too.

Having said that I would still second the above opinion to opt for a dedicated instead.
    WebHATS - Authorized Zamfoo License Distributors
    cPanel/WHM - Zamfoo - RvSkins - Softaculous - Fantastico - RV Site Builder - 24/7 Support - 100% Uptime
    Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, Alpha Reseller, Super Alpha and VPS Hosting.

If you do end up finding a VPS provider that states they offer that amount of space on their website I would be very careful especially if they are offering it for a cheap price. A lot of the "kiddie" hosts will say they offer the moon for a cheap price just to get customers.

An example would be the whole "unlimited bandwidth" scheme. Try pushing TB's worth of traffic and chances are you will get suspended. The same might be true for VPS hosts that say they offer xxx GB's of storage. If you start getting up there in storage space used they may suspend you. Be careful!

With a dedicated server you know exactly what resources you have. It's guaranteed that you will get that amount of storage space with a dedicated server.
    NewYorkCityServers.com - Specializing In Dedicated Servers and Financial Hosting
    True Enterprise Service, Tier 3 Manhattan Datacenter, 100+ Gbps Network, 100% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7 Support - Email, Tickets, Phone and Live Chat
    Bandwidth Graphs, Remote Power Control, Automated OS Re-installs, Secured IPMI+KVM Included With Every Server

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    It's certainly an opportunity in the market that's being ignored currently. It's anyone guess as to why this is not being offered. Plenty of people would want something like this for storing backups etc.
    It isn't ignored, there just isn't very great margins in it.

We have an E3 1230 w/ 16 drives in it and we're only doing like $550/m for 2A of power. Maybe some people could just use a bunch of LVM'd space and not worry about RAID's, but for our setup we got a RAID50.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

To answer some of the questions posted

Price - I dont know. Would pay more for reliability. I was 'hoping' for less than $200 per month.
    cpu/ram - 1ghz cpu and 1gb ram would be more than adequate

I dont think there are any VPS providers offering this size space. The reason for the question was VPS has some advantages over dedicated we liked:

1) We dont need the cpu and ram requirements of dedicated.
    2) VPS gets backed up regularly as image.
    3) VPS pricing is lower than dedicated.

With $200 you can get a pretty good dedicated server.
    If you want a VPS, I think price will depend on the bandwidth you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc_ View Post
    To answer some of the questions posted

Price - I dont know. Would pay more for reliability. I was 'hoping' for less than $200 per month.
    cpu/ram - 1ghz cpu and 1gb ram would be more than adequate

I dont think there are any VPS providers offering this size space. The reason for the question was VPS has some advantages over dedicated we liked:

1) We dont need the cpu and ram requirements of dedicated.
    2) VPS gets backed up regularly as image.
    3) VPS pricing is lower than dedicated.
    $200 is pretty much reasonable. You shouldn't have problems finding one in the offers section. Some may not advertise this sort of package outright but if you contact their sales team, they should be able to get you set.
    WebHATS - Authorized Zamfoo License Distributors
    cPanel/WHM - Zamfoo - RvSkins - Softaculous - Fantastico - RV Site Builder - 24/7 Support - 100% Uptime
    Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, Alpha Reseller, Super Alpha and VPS Hosting.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1186447
    Serveraxis has been around here for some times.... they have high capacity VPS from 1TB to 16TB with min. CPU/RAM

For $200 you have a solid dedicated server, and that sounds like it's more suited to what you need. You won't be doing yourself many favors shooting for a customized VPS.
    Amanah Tech Inc.
    151 Front Street, Toronto, Canada
    Affordable Colocation & 100TB Dedicated Servers.
    Email: sales@amanah.com | +1 416 603 9825 X1 | http://www.amanah.com

Your budget is very reasonable. You get get probably 2TB space for that. Do you need management with the dedicated server?

- Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
    For $200 you have a solid dedicated server, and that sounds like it's more suited to what you need. You won't be doing yourself many favors shooting for a customized VPS.
    We haven't been able to find any dedicated for that price which is why we were looking at vps. Note: it needs to be with a large established host as we cannot afford any downtime.

We haven't been able to find any dedicated for that price which is why we were looking at vps. Note: it needs to be with a large established host as we cannot afford any downtime.
    There are many . Do you require a control panel, management etc?

- Daniel

$200/mo can certainly get you a high end dedicated server with more resources than any VPS.

I understand you want to work with a large company to avoid downtime, but keep in mind that even large companies experience issues as well.

I would recommend you finding a reputable provider and find out more about the datacenter as this is very important in every case.

Good luck and this is very easy to accomplish.
    IrieHost Inc - Professional Web Hosting Provider & Social Network Servers
    VPS • Shared Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Reseller Hosting
    24hrs Support | 30 Days Money Back | 99.99% Uptime
    See you soon @ www.riehost.com

Quote Originally Posted by server-guy View Post
    $200/mo can certainly get you a high end dedicated server with more resources than any VPS.

I understand you want to work with a large company to avoid downtime, but keep in mind that even large companies experience issues as well.

I would recommend you finding a reputable provider and find out more about the datacenter as this is very important in every case.

Good luck and this is very easy to accomplish.
    I would agree with this. Being big and expensive doesn't make a host better... it just makes them bigger and more expensive.

If you find a company you like but it doesn't match your budget, talk to their sales department and ask for a better price. Especially at the 'big reliable' hosts, homepage prices are a work of fiction.

For a VPS there is no reason you could not get one with that kind of space for what you are willing to spend. Although, you are most likely going to have to talk to some sales departments at the companies you are considering; as what you are asking for is definitely a custom order.

As for company size I definitely agree with the other posters here, bigger does not equal better. You can have a very bad experience at a big company just as easily as a small one. Checking out the datacenter the smaller company uses (you may have to ask their sales staff for that info) may give you the uptime confidence you want.

Here's a couple warning flags I used to use when looking at a company:
    If they claim 100% uptime.
    -- This is impossible. People screw up, and backhoes & boat anchors are always on the prowl. Anyone who claims 100% network and/or power uptime put that there with the hope that no one will call them on it.

If they use buzzwords almost exclusively.
    -- Cloud is the new one lately, but this is basically any instance where the wording is purposely evasive or illogical on a product.

If their sales people are extremely pushy.
    -- Quite hard to determine if you're new to hosting but you'll eventually get a feel for it. Basically someone saying whatever they think you want to hear just to make the sale.

If you're not dead set on a VPS, you could certainly get a dedicated server for the amount you are willing to pay a month. The only suggestion I would have would be to use a Linux based OS instead of Windows. If you are only going to use the box for FTP, you can do a lot more with a lot less if you use a less processor intensive OS. Plus with the money you save not paying for a Windows license you can get slightly better hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by YottaServers View Post
    If they claim 100% uptime.
    -- This is impossible. People screw up, and backhoes & boat anchors are always on the prowl. Anyone who claims 100% network and/or power uptime put that there with the hope that no one will call them on it.
    I generally agree with your points but on this point, I wanted to point out that if you read what the 100% uptime guarantee covers, it's usually in the form of a refund when you experience down time. So if you suffer downtime due to a fault of your host (and not something that you or your site did), then they will give you a partial refund for that down time.

You're right, 100% uptime is pretty much impossible. But if you're with a host that offers a 100% uptime guarantee, then at least you'll get a partial refund out of it.

It's actually a pretty good deal, IMHO.
    Jordan Michaels - viviotech.net
    Exceptional Managed Hosting

There is one host in this topic who has hinted twice who can fulfill your needs.

Are you still looking for host?

Check out BuyVM. They offer VPS with 1TB storage for $29.95/month.

Take a look at http://www.server4you.com cheap with 2x HDD, so you can run them in software RAID1 configuration for data safety.
    Jumpto Media | Your Technology Experts!
    ■ Experts in setting up, configuring, securing, and managing Linux & Windows servers.
    ■ Experts with almost all control panels, scripts, apps, and softwares.
    ■ Experts Guaranteed Work.

Configure one of these with a big disk?
    https://hivelocity.net/cart/configure/8c65141eca