Twlight zone - Perhaps Im just cynical

Reading this thread:
    https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showt...32#post8278932

Perhpas I'm just being cynical or is it all little fishy, reminds of demandmedia content. Also see the replies, especially the last two, basically thanks for sharing.

I wouldnt call it but the post is extremely vague and even though I not an SEO expert I doubt anyone would rank that article, only someone who was banned from using google would find anything of value in it. Its also synicated on a few other shady sites.

To be fair, I cant figure out whats going on, perhaps crap content is more common here than elsewhere and its all innocent.. Or later they captialize on by adding signatures, I dont know? Perhaps its some black hat marketing, they get points for their sites, because it looks like WHT has quoted it and people have "thanked it", all the thanks posts use over-the-top sentences

You have posted awesome information thank you so much for this...
    That cant possibly be genuine. We have different opinions and different understandings of the industry (as reminded) but seriously that cant possibly be genuine...

you have posted some great information about reducing bounce rate and it will be really helpful for everyone who want to reduce bounce rate.
    Similar language 'You have posted' and quotes 'reducing/reduce bounce rate' twice.

Yes, improvements in design, speed, content, and users of a website can always help in lowering down the Bounce rate.
    Nice tips, thanks for sharing.
    Yes we all forgot what the post was about, include bounce rate again and several keywords.

Im pretty sure Some_User is a rent-a-seo'er, i.e. rented by webhostforasp.net, but interestingly same reg month as thread starter, look at the absolute jibberish posts:

"To get maximum performance, you can use the high speed of RAM. Especially if you need stability of speed. For some kind of RAM, usually have been integrated with latest technology. "

I know Id probably get reminded that WHT is a welcoming community for all levels from beginner to expert but some of this crap is really making WHT look like YouTube comment cesspit, will WHT be able to continue to attract advertisers and serious people to discussions when we have to navigate through tons of [insert-word-of-choice].
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 08-10-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: balance
    MattF - Since the start..
      0 Not allowed!

The SEO forum is a magnet for sig spammers unfortunately. See the recent discussion here. And junk posts are in no way unique to this forum
      0 Not allowed!

I see, there is definitely a lot leakage of cesspit material out of SEO forum*, for example the-rent-an-SEO guy that posts jibberish all the time. I understand this type of abuse is difficult to police as needs to be monitored over time to distiguish between newbie-posts and true SEO crap, perhaps we need a forum below this called Community Moderation where members can point out members that has contributed nothing over several posts so at some point there accumulates enough evidence to ban the member. I have seen several members behave like the Some_User guy but because I dont keep track of the sightings I not got round to grouping the posts and presenting to the moderators.

As suggested in the thread anon-e-mouse references some SEO guys believe that there is a google benefit to link spam we see at WHT, I still highly suspect this "belief" is due to absence of no-follow, weather it makes a difference or not (disputed), the fact reminds that we attract it, and thus still have SEO jibberish posts making poor efforts to blend in with discussions and signature expolitations (in most cases that dwarf that of the content of the posts)
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 08-10-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: balance
      0 Not allowed!

As for the SEO forum specifically, delete it, or at least stop new topics/threads, I dont see the point if there only a very small fraction of quality discussions, the value of WHT is not judged by the quantity of posts but quality. Ive been vocal about it but some big changes need to occur to stop WHT turning into a craigslist..
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    ... perhaps we need a forum below this called Community Moderation where members can point out members that has contributed nothing over several posts ...
    We have the REPORT button. It works quite well. It's not uncommon to get a Reported Post that states, "Look at this guy's posts. Is he sig-spamming? Or something else?".

Like the thread you pointed out in your opening. If members alert us, we'll take action.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

How about removing all of Some_User posts and warning/banning company behind the hired SEO guy, this isnt me being harsh on new-comers or non-native english speakers, this is just my desire to have WHT cleaned up and rid of SEO filth.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...rchid=42066997

Im too lazy to quote all this pointless SEO jibberish. And I propose banning the company too, or at least warning them to withdraw their philippines hired SEO guy from WHT.

- Legit or not, I think you must be try one of their service plans hosting. You can take basic plans to try and know their features.

- Various way to calculate for you if you want to do. You can ask directly to your hosting provider, or you can use the special applications for that.

- If you looking for remote backup server, I think you must be compare first, especially for capacity storage. With high capacity that large enough, you will get the best performance for your data or...

- To speed test, you can provide or install using online speed facility. Or you can ask to your hosting provider, what the actually speed of your site.

- Above your specification, you can upgrade your monthly budget so that you can get the best performance.

- I have some experience about this hosting company. For some features they have, you can do your hosting transfer and all your website file for this company.
    This isnt a problem with non-native english language, or me being harsh on newbie, this WHT accomodating SEO jibberish.

I see countless examples of this and significant percentage of threads, but obviously this guy gets a medal!

On reflection it might actually be a summarizing bot, the algorithms for summarizing text are pretty simple, and this obviously a very primitive one, hmmm.. not a bad idea to get signature everywhere, if you allow this. Clever...
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 08-10-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: balance
      0 Not allowed!

The thread you linked to has been removed. It would've been removed even if you hadn't pointed it out. I checked it before I saw your thread here, and someone else had already gotten to it.

As anon-e-mouse mentioned, the SEO forum is a magnet for sig spammers. But the problem is a lot smaller than it used to be. We remove fluffy new threads from that forum every day as well as dozens of fluff posts daily. And yes, we issue alerts and infractions. Quite a few members have been banned for repeatedly posting fluff.

These members' posts on other forums often stay there. I see them when I look into the posting patterns of particular members.

We can't ban the companies because we don't know who they are, and they aren't the ones posting anyway. Look at the variety of spammy sigs in the SEO forum, and you'll see what I mean. But we are taking more steps to further reduce fluff and sig spam. Stay tuned. I mean

We still have fluff, but we also have useful content in the SEO forum, and it's easier to find than it was. As SoftWareRevue pointed out, you can be part of the solution by using the Report button when you see fluff.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt
      0 Not allowed!

Okay great about thread being removed, but onto the individual users who spew this crap, outside of the SEO forum:

Particularly, I dont understand how the user Some_User (I dont really want to strain my mouse on reporting 314 posts) has still not been banned as all of his posts are fluff (there are hundreds from his post count), most absolute utter medal winning jibberish, have they not been reported before?. What about checking the other users behind "thanks for the esome posts", bots or part of spamming syndicate? Just removing the threads solves the problem for one day... kill the users, penalize the associated companies.. Another theory, in addition to the auto-summarizing bot, they are all low paid link spammers part of same SEO operation, just assigned to different clients, occasionally asked to support each other, willing to bet the IP is somewhere in Asia to, probably the in philippines (sp?)

We can't ban the companies because we don't know who they are, and they aren't the ones posting anyway.
    Are you saying Some_User is posting jibberish isnt paid by the hosting company in his signature? penalizing the source (the funding) might send a fair message if you ask me.

Im also willing to bet a beer if Some_User company in his sig webhostforasp or something like that becomes a nice stream of *****, you'll have some dialog open with the company pretty sharp and an opportunity to tell them direct to cut the nonsense out.

I appreciate the work involve in moderating this site, and I dont want to undermine that, kudos, but Im seeing pattern that perhaps need proactively tackled somehow. I look forward to seeing what you have in store to tackle fluff, staying tuned
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 08-10-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: balance
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    I appreciate the work involve in moderating this site ...
    Thanks. We appreciate the appreciation.

As for the "I don't want to report 314 posts" bit; just report one when you see a user posting that you'd like the staff to look into more. We don't see every post. But we see every report.

Since there's nothing more to discuss here, we'll just close this thread.

Thanks again for bringing it up!
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!