hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : What is going on?

Forum Jump

What is going on?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2003, 03:42 PM

Angry

What is going on?

I'm a rookie webmaster, and I need some help! I have changed my dns numbers days ago (5). My site has migrated on everyone else's computer but mine? When I ping my ip address I get the old ip address. When anyone else pings my ip address they get the new one. I've turned of the dns clients in the services of my control panel. I've deleted all of my cookies and temp files in my internet options. Still nothing. My isp checked the site from their computers and they get the new one? Can anyone help me?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Dont sweat it.. its probably that your particular network just hasnt updated its DNS yet, give it 2 or 3 more days...

Old 02-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Designer

I agree.

It usually takes 48-72 hours for DNS propagation to go through.

If you also take into account your individual ISP's network, cache, etc.... it can take longer.

lol you may also want to make sure you didn't choose a Cogent provider, while you have an AOL, RoadRunnner, or TImeWarner connection.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

We had a client not being able to access his site for 13 days, apparently his isp only updates their dns every 2 weeks

Old 02-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Myacen
We had a client not being able to access his site for 13 days, apparently his isp only updates their dns every 2 weeks
Thats just sad, and wrong, DNS should be updated atleast every 3 days, anything longer than that is to long in my opinion.

AIM: LipWebNet MSN: daniel[at]lipweb.net [color=red]

Old 02-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Designer

yep, and unfortunately the customer looks to us for answers, on something that is on their ISP's end....sometimes even blame us.

Old 02-28-2003, 04:21 PM
iNET Senior Community Advisor

Quote:
Originally posted by idoogleceo
. . . . . .sometimes even blame us.
Sometimes??

Old 02-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
DNS should be updated atleast every 3 days, anything longer than that is to long in my opinion.
I think it should be even shorter than that. Changes at the registrars should be sent out right away and each server should send out updates every 6 hours. That gives it enough time to go around in about a day or two, tops.

Old 02-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Man, do I hate this scenario. There's an ISP in Boston that shall go unnamed that routinely slacks off on updating DNS. The result is that we can usually expect people using them to not be able to view their sites that are hosted with us for up to 2-3 days after the changes seem to have propagated everywhere else.

It's like clockwork, and so irritating. So now when someone in the Boston area submits a ticket flipping out about propagation, the first question is "Who is your ISP?", instead of what we used to do which was fall all over ourselves and scramble to find out what the heck was up. We've had 3 like that in the last month.

Old 02-28-2003, 04:28 PM

operating system?...

my isp updated everything! still nothing. They think it's the new service pack of windows xp? Is this possible? I need to know from professionals before I erase my hard drive. And reformat it without the New service pack. Microsoft has a community in which they post problems. Several people it seems have this trouble with the new internet explorer? Help! It has been 5 days!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

That sounds slightly flaky to me. I can tell you that a lot of ISP's will routinely say that it's not on their end (even if it is). Don't do anything to your computer yet. I'd give it a little more time to sort itself out.

What is your url, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 02-28-2003, 04:47 PM

my url is www.apparelpro.com. Everyone even on my isp can see my site but me. if you ping the address you'll probably get 64.247.31.223, i get 64.127.197.195.????

Old 02-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Web Hosting Master

Yup my old ISP claimed it wasn't their fault yet everyone else had no problems getting to my new host. Funny thing was after I sent them an email explaining to them I wasn't their everyday idiot customer it started pointing to the new site...

Oh well, I've noticed Ameritech is really quick changing nameservers. Like 6 hours...

OnApp - Automate Everything, Everywhere.

Interested in OnApp? Give it a try with our 24 hour demo!

Old 02-28-2003, 04:55 PM

aol, ameritech, time warner and road runner all seem to view my site fine.

Old 02-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I got 64.247.31.223 . Have you been able to positively verify that people using your same ISP can see the new IP address, or is it just your ISP saying that? If it's the latter, I wouldn't buy into it so much.

If not, and you have friends in the area or whatever who use the same ISP and that can see the site, and you've rebooted, cleared your cache, cookies, temp internet files, and everything else you can think of, try shutting everything down and unplugging your cable modem (if that's what you use) for a minute. Turn it all back on and see if there has been a change.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted