Dedicated Server with VPS setup

Me and a friend want to share a dedicated server cost. Below are the specs.

3.2GHz Quad Core Xeon E3-1230 CPU
    Passmark CPU mark Score of 8,200
    32GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black Hard Drive

What is the best and easiest way to setup this server into VPS nodes. Basically we want to create two VPS account so that he can have half of the resource and I can have half. In the future if we do not utilize all the resources, we would like to create another VPS account for reseller.

Get server with Centos 6.2, install openvz, install openvz web panel, set up your 2 nodes.

Getting a server with a single disk could be a problem for you - at the very least, get a 2nd drive where you can store backups of the VM's on.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

You will get best performance if you have combination between hardware and software you will be used.
    Web Hosting for ASP.NET | Reliable Webhosting
    Support Latest ASP.NET, MVC,PHP, MSSQL 2012

Quote Originally Posted by top hosting View Post
    You will get best performance if you have combination between hardware and software you will be used.
    What does that even mean?

Are you handy with the CLI? You will need to install OpenVZ, do some basic openvz cofigurations, install some sort of OpenVZ control panel management, create 2 containers, etc.

Also, are these VPS's hosting anything important? Do you need 1TB of space? If not, ask your provider if they can give you 2 x 500gb drives instead of 1tb and have them setup the server with raid 1. That way, should a drive fail you wont lose all your data.

If you guys are running any sort of game server or hosting any important files/websites I would recommend at least a Raid 1 setup, if not Raid 10.

If that single hard drive fails, you will lose all your files. Also, if you or your friend run a resource intensive script you both will feel the bottleneck.
    NewYorkCityServers.com - Specializing In Dedicated Servers and Financial Hosting
    True Enterprise Service, Tier 3 Manhattan Datacenter, 100+ Gbps Network, 100% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7 Support - Email, Tickets, Phone and Live Chat
    Bandwidth Graphs, Remote Power Control, Automated OS Re-installs, Secured IPMI+KVM Included With Every Server

Ask funkywizard from IOFlood where I'm assuming you copied those specs from
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

I would agree with others here that you should get a second hard drive in raid 1 in order to reduce the chances of data loss.

If you're not familiar with setting up virtualization, you might ask the host you're considering if they can set it up for you. Your host should be more familiar with setting this up than you would be if you've never done it before.

I would have to disagree with RRWH however on the choice of centos 6.2. It's not exactly ready for prime time. We've had a lot of problems with it and generally recommend Centos 5.8. You can get away with using 6.2 (it's a lot better than 6.0 or 6.1), but they still need to work out a bunch of bugs.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com