hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : HostGator / EIG Transaction
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

HostGator / EIG Transaction

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 PM
How Can I Help You Today?

Exclamation

HostGator / EIG Transaction

HostGator - One of the world's biggest web host is being acquired by Endurance International Group (EIG). The deal will be completed in the next two weeks.

Are your sites hosted with HG?

If you are like me, you would be happy with HG's excellent services, but things can happen when ownership changes. Should you take precautionary measure, for safety?

What are your thoughts?

http://greatresponder.com/2012/06/26...r-web-hosting/

Share with us!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Junior Guru

Wow! I never thought HostGator would be acquired by anyone. I'm actually pretty shocked about this one.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Temporarily Suspended

What precautionary measure do you think should be taken?

I mean, people should already be making backups etc...

If things go down, a simple transfer out would do.

I hope HostGator is another EIG success story though .

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Web Hosting Master

It's still unconfirmed. I frown on any sites that are saying HostGator has been acquired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostPanda View Post
What precautionary measure do you think should be taken?

I mean, people should already be making backups etc...

If things go down, a simple transfer out would do.

I hope HostGator is another EIG success story though .
What success stories have they had? I can't think of one. Sure a ton of EIG hosts are hugely successful but I can't recall any hosts from them that hadn't had some type of support or performance degradation or got rid of a large amount of staff.

Last edited by techjr; 06-26-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by techjr View Post
It's still unconfirmed. I frown on any sites that are saying HostGator has been acquired.

What success stories have they had? I can't think of one.
I would have thought BlueHost was a success story for EIG.

I don't really see any increase of negative reviews from them in comparision to before and after acquision, they have nearly doubled their number of employees etc...

I'd assume they have couple other brands that are going good also.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:58 PM
WHT Content Curator

BlueHost seems to be keeping their momentum. I think EIG has found a new direction with BlueHost and probably hoping to keep that streak going with HostGator.

I assume EIG has learned a lot about BlueHost and have plenty to learn with HG as well. I'm sure these two hosting brands have plenty to benefit from each other. As long as EIG can move forward without making any drastic changes, then it should be good for both brands.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

As far as I can tell most of these claims that HG is being sold revolve around an internal email that was posted on pastebin. While it very well may be true, until we see an actual press release for either EIG or HG, its all speculation.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 PM
WHT Content Curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLaszlo View Post
As far as I can tell most of these claims that HG is being sold revolve around an internal email that was posted on pastebin. While it very well may be true, until we see an actual press release for either EIG or HG, its all speculation.
I wouldn't expect a press release. EIG likes to keep things quiet so it doesn't disturb the peace. Just imagine if the majority of their customer's knew they were being bought out? Chaos.

I expect a quiet as possible transaction.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Community Liaison 2.0

Ongoing discussion, for those that missed this thread --> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1165849

Old 06-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
I wouldn't expect a press release. EIG likes to keep things quiet so it doesn't disturb the peace. Just imagine if the majority of their customer's knew they were being bought out? Chaos.

I expect a quiet as possible transaction.
Something that large would be impossible to keep under wraps. All we have right now is a pastebin of an email and a few scattered articles on random sites. Nothing concrete.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM
How Can I Help You Today?

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLaszlo View Post
It is actually happening, Brent is getting paid in the next couple of weeks

Time to relax and enjoy the sun for him before going to the next adventure.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrianto View Post
It is actually happening, Brent is getting paid in the next couple of weeks

Time to relax and enjoy the sun for him before going to the next adventure.
source? Or just more speculation?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Could EIG improve HostGator?

--There is a lot of talk about EIG and the rumors about the HG takeover. I thought I'd make a thread for people to discuss how they believe the takeover would affect HostGator--

I used to hate EIG, but as I've been thinking more I wonder if EIG might actually improve HostGator. I assume EIG was financially successful with its first bunch of acquisitions, but most people would agree EIG destroyed the quality of some of the services. More recently with BlueHost EIG gained a little bit of respect, although few people would deem BlueHost as a great service.

At first when I heard about EIG acquiring HostGator, I was worried HG would fall apart. I'm still a little worried about that, but I've started to wonder if there's actually potential for improvement with EIG.

Unlike some one EIG's other acquisitions, I think HostGator has a more recognized and respected brand name. I'm wondering if EIG may have a strong financial incentive to preserve that reputation.

I feel like there should be some advantage via economies of scale with EIG. I also think HostGator's billing system has always been a little silly, and it looks like EIG would probably implement its own system.

I don't know what will happen; only time will tell. EIG's track record isn't very good, but it seems like there's a good chance they'll redeem themselves now.

Do you guys think there's a reasonable chance of EIG improving HG or will it have a bad result like many of the previous acquisitions?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Web Hosting Master

We can all guess, but unless any of us have insider information or a time machine then guessing is all we can do.

Could they improve it? Yes
Will they improve it? Maybe, maybe not.
Do I have a time machine? I wish.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Technical Nutcase

To be honest, EIG puts a lot of energy into marketing, some of that goes to artificially make them look better then they are. They have been known for opening up fake review sites and posting fake reviews in order to attract more customers.

In reality, they cause more harm then good. When was the last time you saw a legitimate customer refer a user to FatCow unless they wanted to sabotage the site?

Closed Thread