Redemption Grace Periods UPDATE

For those who are suspicious of the Redemption Grace Periods, here's a real-world example of how at least ONE registrar handles an expired domain name.

As mentioned in some other posts here, I intentionally let expired one of my less important domains. This is what happens:

Registrar: NameBargain.com (i.e. Register.com)
    Expiration Date: 18 January 2003
    Active through: 23 February 2003
    Enter Redemption Period: 24 February 2003

As you can see, Register.com deactivate this domain name 35 days after expiry, which is the same as they used to delete expired domains before this RGP thing.

Let's see if it is available for registration again 30 days from now.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

When you say "active through" - does that mean you were able to renew it, and did it still point to the website (ie, did it still work like a regular domain)

How much are register.com charging for redemption?

By "active", I mean the website is still working! Surprise? Me too. One day it's still active, the next day it's already in the RGP and deactivated.

I don't know how much Register.com charges for Redemption; nobody has contacted me for that. The "final" notice regarding this domain I got from them was on 12 February 2003.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Originally posted by nameslave
    By "active", I mean the website is still working! Surprise? Me too. One day it's still active, the next day it's already in the RGP and deactivated.
    They should de-activate it within 2 to 3 days of expiry and only push it into the RGP ~30 days later, thus giving the registrant enough time to notice that their site is down and renew at regular price before they get robbed of all their money from the RGP.

You at least got your renewal and reminders, but some don't.

One day it's active and the next day it's gone to the RGP is simply not on

Now you know why some of us are about this RGP thingy.

Thanks nameslave for undergoing this noble experiment I now have to wait and see what happens to a domain I have set my eyes on.

Originally posted by nameslave
    I don't know how much Register.com charges for Redemption; nobody has contacted me for that. The "final" notice regarding this domain I got from them was on 12 February 2003.

Think you could email register.com and tell them you want to renew your domain? Then you can renew it and tell us how much it cost you and also tell us how long it took them to re-activate your domain.

LOL the ultimate experiment.

Originally posted by Dylan
    They should de-activate it within 2 to 3 days of expiry ... thus giving the registrant enough time to notice that their site is down ...

You at least got your renewal and reminders, but some don't.

The rationale behind deactivation during the RGP (if you have gone through the official documents in details) is to do exactly that: to give the registrant enough time to redeem his or her expired domain name. No registrar (or any other businesses) will risk alienating their customers by suspending their services 2-3 days past due. But true, Register.com USED TO deactivate the domain name earlier than 35 days.

By the way, they usually send out A LOT of renewal notices/reminders to the extend that I consider them SPAM.

Originally posted by Dylan
    Think you could email register.com and tell them you want to renew your domain? Then you can renew it and tell us how much it cost you and also tell us how long it took them to re-activate your domain.
    I'll leave that for somebody else. I actually do not intend to renew this domain name, and that's why I let it expire in the first place. Domain name investors like timechange can surely tell you that there are silly registrations once in a while.

I havent got around to asking enom how much they charge to redeem a domain which has entered the redemption period.
    Does anyone know the answer to that question?

Enom are charging $200, does'nt matter if your an ETP the price is the same. Surprisingly, Tucows are the cheapest at $125.

Tucows: $125
    Bulkregister: $149
    Stargate: $169.95
    Enom: $200

Out of interest, I'd like to find out what Go Daddy, Schlund, 000domains, directnic, dotster, Netsol and register are charging.

Originally posted by blob2
    Surprisingly, Tucows are the cheapest at $125.
    Why the surprise? Tucows/OpenSRS has ALWAYS been the best overall.

Its because they refuse to compete in any pricing wars with enom and the rest.

Godaddy is the cheapest. I'm sure.

Didn't they say they were going to charge ~$90 + domain registration fee (which is currently ~$9)

Originally posted by blob2
    Out of interest, I'd like to find out what Go Daddy, Schlund, 000domains, directnic, dotster, Netsol and register are charging.
    $90.00...for GD, we don't charge for the registration, too. We choose not to take advantage of the RGP and gouge our customer’s like some competitors seem to be doing.....