Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Softlayer still a toxic network

Hi, I've been getting hit with a ton of spam from a domain name that I won't mention on the forum. When I do a domain look up I see that their host is Softlayer.com. Further Googling reveals that Softlayer is labeled a toxic network due to the huge amounts of spam coming from it's servers. Is this still the case? I thought Softlayer was a respectable host around these forums? My servers continue to be pounded daily by the unmentioned website, even though I blacklisted it. Should I call Softlayer and complain?

Quote Originally Posted by Miami4Ever View Post
    Should I call Softlayer and complain?
    Yes, contact their abuse department.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Yes, contact their abuse department.
    Thank you for your fast response. I will do that.

I called Softlayer's abuse line and an automated voice instructed me to send an email to Softlayer's abuse line. But since they don't monitor that telephone line I have no confidence that they will monitor the email box either.

I called Softlayer's abuse line and an automated voice instructed me to send an email to Softlayer's abuse line. But since they don't monitor that telephone line I have no confidence that they will monitor the email box either.
    SoftLayer is one of the largest dedicated server providers in the world and its not really a surprise that you see spam coming from them, they have 10's of thousands of machines online (heck it might even be close or over 100k by now with their expansions into Europe and Asia).

You will not find many companies that provide live assistance (telephone or chat) for abuse complaints. You need to just email them and I bet you will get a reply back within a few hours.

They are fully staffed support and sales wise around the clock and if the abuse is an emergency I am sure they will route you to get it handled, but since its just spam I wouldn't really qualify it as an emergency - use an antispam tool on your email.

That is STOP to email the abuse address. I am sure they will respond, and open a abuse case with the details you will provide.

Why not create this thread and ask cor a contact after you have emailed them and if they ignore the problem.
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by leckley View Post
    use an antispam tool on your email.
    Thank you. I have boxtrapper and spam assassin enabled on my server, but there are so many spams from that one website that it is overloading my server's resources to blacklist them. Thanks for your response!

Thank you. I have boxtrapper and spam assassin enabled on my server, but there are so many spams from that one website that it is overloading my server's resources to blacklist them. Thanks for your response!
    Manually blacklist that website then. Make sure you do submit a complaint to that abuse email. There's a reason why it exists.

-Tyler Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Ro View Post
    Why not create this thread and ask cor a contact after you have emailed them and if they ignore the problem.
    In my experience, I get a faster response if I create a thread here on Webhosting Talk. Normally if it is just my tiny voice shouting into the wind, I get no response other than my own echo. That's life, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by morrisonhosting View Post
    Manually blacklist that website then.

-Tyler Morrison
    I manually blacklisted the website using Boxtrapper. When I check my logs I see that the website is successfully blocked, but there are hundreds of instances of that site being blacklisted in my logs. That means hundreds of emails leaving my server to that website letting them know they are blacklisted. It's slowing down my server.

I manually blacklisted the website using Boxtrapper. When I check my logs I see that the website is successfully blocked, but there are hundreds of instances of that site being blacklisted in my logs. That means hundreds of emails leaving my server to that website letting them know they are blacklisted. It's slowing down my server.
    Use a firewall to block the IP of the website then.

-Tyler Morrison

Send an email to softlayer letting them know about the problem and showing evidence of it, they will take care, I know it for experience.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by morrisonhosting View Post
    Use a firewall to block the IP of the website then.

-Tyler Morrison
    That's a great suggestion. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    Send an email to softlayer letting them know about the problem and showing evidence of it, they will take care, I know it for experience.
    Thank you. I sent the email earlier. I'm awaiting a response from them.

If softlayer is toxic that must make several other large providers known minefields and open air uncontained nuclear waste dumps.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    If softlayer is toxic that must make several other large providers known minefields and open air uncontained nuclear waste dumps.

You're using boxtrapper???

In my experience, I get a faster response if I create a thread here on Webhosting Talk. Normally if it is just my tiny voice shouting into the wind, I get no response other than my own echo. That's life, I guess.
    So you expect Softlayer to know exactly who you are and who you're referring to when they have over 90,000 servers currently in operation globally?

abuse@softlayer.com -- Contact them.

I worked with them for over five years and I can assure you that they take spam reports very seriously. While you might not get a response, trust me, the owner of the IP address sure as heck hears from them.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    You're using boxtrapper???
    Yes. It's quite effective. Do you suggest something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
    So you expect Softlayer to know exactly who you are and who you're referring to when they have over 90,000 servers currently in operation globally?

abuse@softlayer.com -- Contact them.
    As I already noted in this thread, I contacted Softlayer at the abuse email earlier today. I gave them the name of the spam domain. I am awaiting a response from them. I hope you are right. Thank you for your response.

That's a great suggestion. Thank you.
    No problem, I have a good idea every once in a while.

Just remember that you did it incase you have issues with another person on the same ip (if it's shared) trying to send emails to your server.

-Tyler Morrison

This problem can be solved by disabling box-trapper (not only to reduce your load), but you might also find your-self black listed your-self (if you continue to use box trapper).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Thank you for the suggestion. By the way, Softlayer never replied to me about the spam domain hosted on two of their servers. The spam domain continues to send hundreds of emails a day to my server.

Thank you for the suggestion. By the way, Softlayer never replied to me about the spam domain hosted on two of their servers. The spam domain continues to send hundreds of emails a day to my server.
    Why haven't you just blocked the IPs for the two mail servers sending spam to your server?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

As I already noted in this thread, I contacted Softlayer at the abuse email earlier today. I gave them the name of the spam domain. I am awaiting a response from them. I hope you are right. Thank you for your response.
    They do handle abuse complaints - we alone get a huge volume of them daily from them passing along complaints originating from our machines (see: compromised accounts).

SoftLayer is a huge network and they also engulfed ThePlanet making them "size huge".
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Official Let's Encrypt Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast