New SuperMicro FatTwin

http://www.supermicro.com/newsroom/p...14_FatTwin.cfm

Apparently this was announced today. This offering is more interesting to me than the Microcloud offerings they have as there is more storage capacity per node. They also seem to be optimized for wider temperature operational range.

It also appears that more of the recent/newest Supermicro boards have onboard LSI controllers(2208,2308). Does anyone here have experience or knowledge if they can function in IT/JBOD mode?

I like that the trays pull out from the front instead of the back where all the wiring is. Wonder where the fans are unless they put smaller ones on each tray which would make more sense then a few big ones on each microcloud or 2u Twin. This way if a fan goes it affects only one tray. Very cool! (pun intended :-)

'no air-conditioning required' that's a pretty broad statement...
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

these have been "behind the scenes" for some time.

We've been talking with SM on them and eagerly awaiting their official announcement. We heavily deploy their existing Twin solutions and are excited to see the expansion of their twin product lines.

could not find a price online, how much do you think that baby goes for?

Intel only?
    i love banging my head against a brick wall - this is why i'm here.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    'no air-conditioning required' that's a pretty broad statement...
    Maybe they simply say "operating enviroment 10-45 Deg max"
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

What a superb name for a server.

Not sure I fancy racking one on my own though, look like they could get a bit heavy! Though I guess you take the nodes out to rack it so should make it a bit lighter!

Quote Originally Posted by UK Servers View Post
    What a superb name for a server.
    That was my first thought.

I like the 4 node version. I don't see any prices for them yet though.

Interesting platform. Definitely going to be interesting to see the pricing on these and also to get a look at the other configurations they've mentioned (ie. 2 node and 4x 1u).

Quote Originally Posted by RU-Adam View Post
    I like the 4 node version. I don't see any prices for them yet though.
    The 4 node version does not look interesting to me. I see no advantage using the 4 node version VS 4 x 1U with 4 Hotswap trays each.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    The 4 node version does not look interesting to me. I see no advantage using the 4 node version VS 4 x 1U with 4 Hotswap trays each.
    The 4 node has 8x 3.5 HDDs per node so it would double the available HDD space.

The 4 node has 8x 3.5 HDDs per node so it would double the available HDD space.
    I missed that, but you are right. 8x 3.5 Hotswap HDD per node is interesting indeed!
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    I missed that, but you are right. 8x 3.5 Hotswap HDD per node is interesting indeed!
    It is a nice feature, but depending on the price of the node it might offer no advantage over 4x 2U with 8 drives even with double the space requirement. Or if you only require 4 drives per server than this node would offer no advantages as well.

I love the name of the server.

It is a nice feature, but depending on the price of the node it might offer no advantage over 4x 2U with 8 drives even with double the space requirement. Or if you only require 4 drives per server than this node would offer no advantages as well.
    there are 1U chassis with 8x (or 10x) 2.5" drives bays with single or dual PSU as well. so, if you want to use all SSD's, 2.5" SAS, or even 2.5" enterprise SATA such as Seagate Constellation.2 drives, 4-node 4U fat-twin (or 2-node 2U thin-twin) offers really no advantage over 4x 1U single-node. it's all boiled down to whether the cost numbers are making sense or not.

these types of 2U twin2 or 4U fat-twin are excellent for standard VPS deployments since they can have 6+ per node drive bays plus on-node hardware RAID core configured as hardware RAID-10 for local storage, but they don't really make a whole lot of sense as cloud hypervisors unless you are planning to use them as VPS nodes for now, then convert all these drives for OnApp hyper/software SAN when it becomes production worthy.
    Last edited by cwl@apaqdigital; 06-16-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    there are 1U chassis with 8x (or 10x) 2.5" drives bays with single or dual PSU as well. so, if you want to use all SSD's, 2.5" SAS, or even 2.5" enterprise SATA such as Seagate Constellation.2 drives, 4-node 4U fat-twin (or 2-node 2U thin-twin) offers really no advantage over 4x 1U single-node. it's all boiled down to whether the cost numbers are making sense or not.

these types of 2U twin2 or 4U fat-twin are excellent for standard VPS deployments since they can have 6+ per node drive bays plus on-node hardware RAID core for hardware RAID-10 as local storage, but they don't really make a whole lot of sense as cloud hypervisors unless you are planning to convert all these drives for OnApp hyper/software SAN when it becomes production worthy.
    What is your opinion of reliability of say a 1TB 2.5inch drive and a 3.5 inch 1TB drive? I typically consider the 3.5inch ones since they are cheaper and tend to have better warranties at least for the SATA variety. That's why I like the nodes with 8x 3.5inch drives.

What is your opinion of reliability of say a 1TB 2.5inch drive and a 3.5 inch 1TB drive? I typically consider the 3.5inch ones since they are cheaper and tend to have better warranties at least for the SATA variety. That's why I like the nodes with 8x 3.5inch drives.
    Judging by the MTBF of seagate drives. It seems like the 2.5" SAS Constellations have a higher MTBF over the 3.5" ones. I may be getting the 10K/15K confused with the 7.2K's mtbf though.

Just looking at the capabilities of these, and the power densities required to actually fill a rack with them starts to get pretty high if you were to populate every node of a 4U 4-node unit with dual E5's, a boatload of ram and all 8 drives.

200-300 watts per node perhaps without trying too hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    Judging by the MTBF of seagate drives. It seems like the 2.5" SAS Constellations have a higher MTBF over the 3.5" ones. I may be getting the 10K/15K confused with the 7.2K's mtbf though.
    according to the numbers published by Seagate, 2.5" constellation.2 is more reliable than 3.5" constellation ES.2. surprisingly, 2.5" Savvio SAS drives are the most reliable among what Seagate makes, even better than 3.5" Cheetah 15K.7!

series: MTBF(meantime between failure)/AFR(annualized failure rate)/warranty:
    2.5" constellation.2: 1.4M hours/0.62%/3-year
    3.5" constellation ES.2: 1.2M hours/0.73%/3-year
    2.5" savvio 10K.5/15K.3: 2M hours/0.44%/5-year
    3.5" cheetah 15K.7: 2M hours/0.55%/5-year
    3.5" barracuda desktop (7200.14): ?/1%/1-year

so, 2.5" enterprise drives are actually looking very good against 3.5" counterparts.

true, 2.5" enterprise drives cost more, but they consume about half of the 3.5" drives. 32pcs 2.5" drives would use about 1.3A-1.4A/120v less power than 32pcs 3.5" drives installed on 4-node fat twin.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com