hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Detailed logs

Forum Jump

Detailed logs

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 PM
WHT Addict

Detailed logs

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out why certain php processes are taking up so much CPU usage. One second there's virtually no CPU usage, then all of a sudden a "PHP" process shows up with 65%.

I ran the "top" command via putty (I'm a complete newbie for all of this) to see all this.

Is there a way I can see more details so I can pinpoint what the actual problem is?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Disabled

Quote:
I'm trying to find out why certain php processes are taking up so much CPU usage. One second there's virtually no CPU usage, then all of a sudden a "PHP" process shows up with 65%.

I ran the "top" command via putty (I'm a complete newbie for all of this) to see all this.

Is there a way I can see more details so I can pinpoint what the actual problem is?
What sort of a server is it? A VPS or a dedicated server? And what are the specs?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

While you are watching the process in top you can get a better idea of what is going on if you also watch the error log. On my system it is /var/log/apache2/error.log

So when you notice that PHP is eating up a bunch of resources in top, run the command tail /var/log/apache2/error.log and it will show you the most recent error messages. This can point you in the direction of what the real problem is.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Not This Guy Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjiru Technology View Post
What sort of a server is it? A VPS or a dedicated server? And what are the specs?
This and also what are you running on the server?

-Tyler Morrison