hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : GoDaddy phone calls

Forum Jump

GoDaddy phone calls

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Junior Guru

GoDaddy phone calls

Why does GoDaddy call its clients simply to ask "How are things"? I have never had a sales pitch from them and am puzzled as to why they do this? Anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old
Community Liaison

Are you sure it is from Godaddy?

It's Fully Managed and Secured. Ask us at sales @ jonesolutions.com .

Old
Web Hosting Master

I wouldn't doubt it, probably trying to sell him addons.

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDGH-Corey View Post
I wouldn't doubt it, probably trying to sell him addons.
The OP stated they did not try to sell anything. sheesh

Its just a courtesy call. Are you a new client? You can remove yourself from the call list by calling support.

Old
Web Hosting Master

When I had a few hundred domains with them, I would get regular "How are things?" phone calls. OBVIOUSLY, they are looking to drum up more business.

Old
Web Hosting Master

I used to have GoDaddy call me all the time, before I wisened up - I actually find calls terribly annoying and would rather them write me an email or something if they actually care, but whatever. I just ignored them, they stop eventually.

Old

I have heard about this as well. It is called a "courtesy call". Went to a sales conference with Sandro Forte and that is one of the things that he recommended- calling your customer just to see how he is doing. I think they are just trying to build a relationship with their customers by making them feel more special. Just a guess though.

Old

I just signed up for godaddy about 2 weeks ago never used them before avoided them forever but had a few domains being transffered there and ive gotten two call from them already one i anwsered always early in the morning and yeah its an upsale call asking how your doing and trying to find a way to toss in new services.

Old
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagarder View Post
I have heard about this as well. It is called a "courtesy call". Went to a sales conference with Sandro Forte and that is one of the things that he recommended- calling your customer just to see how he is doing. I think they are just trying to build a relationship with their customers by making them feel more special. Just a guess though.
Yes, all customer service seminars, courses and books say the same thing. Some here are determined to poo poo that idea for personal reasons, not for customer service reasons, when they should be learning from it. My bet is if the hosts here took the time out to call their customers to see how things are going they would be more successful.

The self-appointed host-advisors here stomp their feet about big hosts unable to provide personal service and recommending small hosts do it as a way to compete with the big guys, and increase sales. Now when a big guy does it the true motive of these self-important advisors are revealed. Or maybe they are just hiding laziness with negativity.

Last edited by Collabora; 06-09-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old
Premium Member

I received a call from them as well, the day after I transferred a domain to them. I didn't pick it up and got an email shortly after saying that they were sorry they missed me and just wanted to welcome me to the company and answer any questions that I might have. I was quite impressed. I wasn't expecting anything like that and it definitely gave me the impression of a personable host even though they are such a big company.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
Or maybe they are just hiding laziness with negativity.
I'd get a few people reacting badly like that when I used to do this in my ex-registrar life. I'd tell them something like sure it's nice to make money, and ask if they honestly felt good having someone call them without having to sell anything to them.

It's to make money, make customers feel welcome, etc. Kind of like make money without seemingly, necessarily trying.

Old
Community Liaison

Wait are people actually needing to go to a sales seminar to figure out that a courtesy contact with your customers from time to time is a good idea? Ultimately even if they don't get new business they are trying to strengthen the relationship with their customer to keep them as a customer.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Now when a big guy does it the true motive of these self-important advisors are revealed.
Yeah, but it's GoDaddy...why would you ever assume good motives?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
The OP stated they did not try to sell anything. sheesh

Its just a courtesy call. Are you a new client? You can remove yourself from the call list by calling support.
I dont really want to comment on whether this was phone spam or courtesy (I'd rather go for the former) but I am surprised that every time some critic about this company appears you immediately jump in to their defence ....

Old
Disabled

The OP's post was clear. Question is why put words in her mouth?