hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : How long does it take for Domain Privacy to take effect?

Forum Jump

How long does it take for Domain Privacy to take effect?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Arrow

How long does it take for Domain Privacy to take effect?

Hello, I recently registered a domain and when I registered it I did not choose to add domain privacy. So right now if you do a whois you can see my name, address etc. and I need all my details to be private. If I buy domain privacy for the domain today how long will it take for my info to be no longer visible on whois websites, is it instant? does it take days, weeks etc? im asking because I added domain privacy to another domain and after a week, my details were still available if you did a whois. Can anyone provide an accurate answer?

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

There are no propagation issues, if that is what you mean. The new information is sent to WHOIS database immediately. It may take a few minutes to a few hours for the database to actually get updated. This would apply to any change in WHOIS info

Old

^ Thanks for your answer, yeah propagation is what I meant I wanted to know if it would take time for the new info to filter through to all the whois sites. Now I get it, its instant.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottingham1440 View Post
Hello, I recently registered a domain and when I registered it I did not choose to add domain privacy. So right now if you do a whois you can see my name, address etc. and I need all my details to be private. If I buy domain privacy for the domain today how long will it take for my info to be no longer visible on whois websites, is it instant? does it take days, weeks etc? im asking because I added domain privacy to another domain and after a week, my details were still available if you did a whois. Can anyone provide an accurate answer?
Some time it's depend on registrar to registrar, some domain registrar do this on same time, some do after some time.
like ResellerClub they secure your privacy and do on same time.

hostingoption

Hosting Talk

Old
Disabled

I've actually seen some whois searches return different results a few hours, or even days after the details have been updated.

It does depend on what registry you use.

Old
Web Hosting Master

A few years ago, I had a domain that I needed privacy on. When I did add the privacy to it with dynadot. It took effect within 5 minutes.

Chad

Post Your Web Hosting Offers For Free on Webmasterbabble forums

Old
Temporarily Suspended

Some places will cache results so it could take awhile. But technically it is instantly.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottingham1440 View Post
Adding domain privacy after the initial registration will update the current record but there is a good chance your details may be recorded somewhere else already by another company. By this I'm simply pointing out that you may not be able to totally hide your identity now for that domain, it's really something you should add when you register it, not later.

Old
Web Host Reviewer

I've seen caches that are months or even a couple of years outdated.
It could take several years for a domain to be anonymized, when previously it was not.

Old
Disabled

You should change your whois client. Try telneting to whois.internic.net