How many shared accounts on this server...

I would like to know how many could fit on the following server without causing problems:
    2.4GHz Pentium 4 (with Hyperthreading) CPU
    2.25GB RAM
    Dual Gigabit LAN
    Linux OS
    zPanel (NOT cPanel)

Thanks!

That totally really depends on the accounts usage, how you can calculate the account usage of clients before hosting them ? may be some one use more and some one less... so no one can give you estimate.

Right, I get all will be different. But on average.
    10? 100? 1000?

Theres really no way to tell as it really depends on the usage of clients like stated above.

What about HDD space? Also 2gb ram will be a fairly limiting factor as well.
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

Ignoring Disk space and speed, how many do you think we can fit with that CPU and that RAM? Just average shared hosting clients...
    What if we upgrade to 3GB RAM?
    Last edited by shovenose; 05-15-2012 at 01:27 AM.

I have only played with Zpanel for a few minutes. But as any control panel you probably need 512 ram just to run efficiently. So your looking at 1.5 gigs left, call it 1.2 for safety.

Get 5 or 6 clients running WordPress with a slew of plugins and you probably maxing out your mem.

Truly it depends on what type of things clients are running and you cant really take disk out of the factor of consideration.

p4 with 2 gigs and no disk spec just sounds like a bottleneck waiting to happen.
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

So, how about the following then:
    -3GHz Pentium 4 HT 64bit CPU
    -4GB DDR RAM
    -SATA HDD in RAID

Quote Originally Posted by shovenose View Post
    So, how about the following then:
    -3GHz Pentium 4 HT 64bit CPU
    -4GB DDR RAM
    -SATA HDD in RAID
    You are going to have better luck and better profit margins to use a cpu and memory that wasn't made 12 years ago.

What kind of budget do you have at the moment? Also, as everyone else has said it depends on the usage of the websites and the type of sites there are. What I can tell you is most technically inclined customers aren't going to take you seriously when they see a pentium 4 listed. And I assume you intend to sell hosting to others considering the section this is posted in.

You aren't going to easily find an average either. When people were using that type of system to host websites 8-12 years ago, most websites were vastly different compared to what they are today. The type of servers used today are easily 20x faster than that system in every way.
    Last edited by techjr; 05-15-2012 at 02:31 AM.

You may also have to consider things like cron jobs that get run, or the number of (and size of) databases that are being used buy the clients.

You will find even certain high end VPS plans offering better CPU and disk performance than the specs you are providing. Apart from that fact, it is not possible to casually estimate how many clients could be hosted on that because even just one resource intensive script could be too much for it.

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    You are going to have better luck and better profit margins to use a cpu and memory that wasn't made 12 years ago.

What kind of budget do you have at the moment? Also, as everyone else has said it depends on the usage of the websites and the type of sites there are. What I can tell you is most technically inclined customers aren't going to take you seriously when they see a pentium 4 listed. And I assume you intend to sell hosting to others considering the section this is posted in.

You aren't going to easily find an average either. When people were using that type of system to host websites 8-12 years ago, most websites were vastly different compared to what they are today. The type of servers used today are easily 20x faster than that system in every way.
    Well, see, me and my friend are opening a datacenter. We're buying a building, outfitting it with several good connections, installing UPSs, etc...
    So we have to get servers for it. And we have two of these already, and I'm trying to prove a point. He's like "let's put no more than 50 accounts per server" and I'm like "no we can put 100" but now I'm thinking we can do more than that so I told him w ecan put 200 and I hope that's OK... we'll run out of disk space (using RAID 1 with 2x 2TB disks) before we run out of CPU power and RAM power...
    Right?

How about the following server:
    -2.2GHz AMD Dual Core CPU
    -4GB RAM
    -4x 3TB in RAID 10

Could that hold a lot more?

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post

I have to agree here. Your CPU choice is too outdated for serious hosting tasks. You may be able to fit 100-300 websites on the server but it wont be fun.

A mid range VPS with 1 GB of RAM will outperform this setup.

How about the following server:
    -2.2GHz AMD Dual Core CPU
    -4GB RAM
    -4x 3TB in RAID 10

Could that hold a lot more?
    Why go with the RAID 10 setup with such a weak processor. You should look for a Core2Quad or an i7 at least. Also go 8 GB of RAM. You can thin fit 700-1,200 websites on the server depending on the types of sites being hosted
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

The point is, we have these servers. We're going to use them. Down the road, we're going to run everything on nice new servers, that'll be great, but for now we have ot use this...

10+ years old spec. I think you can run but at some specific point due to age of hardware. It will have higher fail rate.
    MultipleCloud - Multiple location hosting provider
    200+ worldwide location | different server | different ip owner | best for pbn
    BigfootComputing - Dedicated A/B/C class ip
    100% no bad neighborhood | private name servers

I would like to know how many could fit on the following server without causing problems:
    2.4GHz Pentium 4 (with Hyperthreading) CPU
    2.25GB RAM
    Dual Gigabit LAN
    Linux OS
    zPanel (NOT cPanel)

Thanks!
    I personally don't like the Pentium 4 CPU. It consumes a lot of power without deliverying enough performance in return. Several years ago, I decided we were going to purge every last one of our old Pentium 4 based servers from the server room. We could not even sell all of them because so many people are aware of how poorly Pentium 4 based servers run. A lot of the servers just ending up getting donated to local schools. Either way, I was thrilled to be rid of those slow, power thirsty Pentium 4 servers.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Well, see, me and my friend are opening a datacenter. We're buying a building, outfitting it with several good connections, installing UPSs, etc...
    So we have to get servers for it. And we have two of these already, and I'm trying to prove a point.
    The point is, we have these servers. We're going to use them. Down the road, we're going to run everything on nice new servers, that'll be great, but for now we have ot use this...
    No offence but if you have only 2 of these low end servers and in your own words "need to use" them, how do you expect to be able to pay for a datacenter to be built? Do you have any idea how much money is involved with doing that? If you had the money you needed for that, you wouldn't need to use these 2 servers, you would have the money to buy decent ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Wullie View Post
    No offence but if you have only 2 of these low end servers and in your own words "need to use" them, how do you expect to be able to pay for a datacenter to be built? Do you have any idea how much money is involved with doing that? If you had the money you needed for that, you wouldn't need to use these 2 servers, you would have the money to buy decent ones.
    I'm guessing it is not a serious datacenter. It is probably one of those home-datacenters (in other words not a datacenter at all).
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Perhaps use the 2 p4s as a dev server or something in your office.

Weren't you just posting about reselling you first dedicated from GoDaddy? Why not just stay on that route for a while, instead pulling your site down (shovehost.com), & trying to open a data center (which requires huge capitol expense)and put clients on a really old server that's not really good for production.

The one guy was doing this with a p4 not to long ago on this forum and it was one of the factors that, among other things put him in the deadpool.

If you really want to use the server your speaking of then you could sell it as a really low end dedicated, though you still need to have it colocated and you would be pushing the limit on any hopes of a profit margin.

Use those servers as backup servers and run the business website on one. Just use them to hold your backups. Then go lease/purchase a proper server for the hosting accounts.
    Hostjunkies Affordable Web Hosting
    Professional Web Hosting | 99.9% Uptime | Cloudlinux | Softaculous
    Daily backups | cPanel Control Panel | Tier III Datacenter
    Follow us on twitter @hostjunkies | 4+ Years in Industry

Whoa guys
    Our (note the OUR, not MY - I am teaming up with another person) datacenter is going to be a freestanding insutrial building (not my closet), with good power, UPSs, multiple bandwidth providers, etc.
    so no we're not making some "fake" datacenter.

By the way,
    Me and my friend BOTH cancelled our GoDaddy reseller accounts because I first realized, then convinced him, that it was crap. That got us back pretty much $300! That's an entire 1/2 of a server LOL...

And ShoveHost.com is not going to be the company name!

You will probably find that you will need faster HDs if you want to fit more customers on one server. The Disk IO will also be a limiting factor and will probably be the first resource you run out of. Again this is all based on how heavy a load the accounts put out. The more active the users are the more usage on the disks. So you could have 100 static accounts that dont get used much or 10 accounts that are always calling DB requests. So as it has been said already...IT all depends on how active the accounts are.
    Kevin Boyle- Hivelocity- Account Manager
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Exclusive Flat Rate cPanel Provider

Whoa guys
    Our (note the OUR, not MY - I am teaming up with another person) datacenter is going to be a freestanding insutrial building (not my closet), with good power, UPSs, multiple bandwidth providers, etc.
    so no we're not making some "fake" datacenter.
    I have seen many a comment over the years here about people building their own datacenters and to be honest, I could count on 1 hand the amount who have actually done so. Going by your posts here and the question you asked in the OP, I'm just stating the obvious that I just see this as a dream that isn't going to materialise. I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just saying what I see.

When it comes down to it, the cost to build any datacenter is massive. You obviously need this to be big enough to make money from it so you need to house many servers, so a small datacenter simply isn't normally viable.

Right, I get all will be different. But on average.
    10? 100? 1000?
    As for your original question:

How many people could you fit into a car? It would depend on their size. The answer is the same to your question about servers, it depends on the size of the sites.

That server could hold a huge amount of unused sites or it could crumble under the load of 1 site, depending on the setup and usage.

Why don't you just try it out?
    You will see how many sites your server can hold.