Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diablo 3

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    People say that about plenty of services, yet, when times are tough, the first thing to go is the free services.
    Just to be clear, you mean from the gamer's point of view right?

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    Just to be clear, this is from the gamer's point of view right?
    It doesn't matter who's point of view it is from. In this case, though it is from the business perspective.

From a business perspective, at some point, servers like these become far too much of a drain on company resources. I mean, common sense here. They're not making anything on them, so, at some point, when things come up on the chopping block, they will be the first to go.

From a gamer's perspective, absolutely, this sucks. I've seen it far too many times, just as recently as last week with playfish/EA closing down an app game , in their words "to focus on bringing better things", but in the end, it's the same thing.. No revenue, things need to close, it is done.

EA's also done this countless other times... Console game servers just go down, leaving the game owner (who paid $60 for the game at retail) wondering just what they bought into.

This is precisely why this method doesn't work. DRM, I get it, it's necessary, not gonna say anything about that. The fact is though, that if a giant like EA (who also owns playfish) is forced to do this due to monetary reasons, there's nothing stopping Blizzard/Activision from pulling the same thing
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

It doesn't matter who's point of view it is from. In this case, though it is from the business perspective.

From a business perspective, at some point, servers like these become far too much of a drain on company resources. I mean, common sense here. They're not making anything on them, so, at some point, when things come up on the chopping block, they will be the first to go.

From a gamer's perspective, absolutely, this sucks. I've seen it far too many times, just as recently as last week with playfish/EA closing down an app game , in their words "to focus on bringing better things", but in the end, it's the same thing.. No revenue, things need to close, it is done.

EA's also done this countless other times... Console game servers just go down, leaving the game owner (who paid $60 for the game at retail) wondering just what they bought into.

This is precisely why this method doesn't work. DRM, I get it, it's necessary, not gonna say anything about that. The fact is though, that if a giant like EA (who also owns playfish) is forced to do this due to monetary reasons, there's nothing stopping Blizzard/Activision from pulling the same thing
    Actually, as time pushes forward it costs these companies less and less to keep the servers alive. Why EA cut stuff off is beyond me, but Blizzard doesn't do this even for Diablo---a game where you pay ONCE and thats it, no monthly payments and the servers still have been running, not only that but with constant patches for new features.

I think Blizzard represents a different way of managing games, a sort of economies of scale that only they can achieve, and this builds a certain trust for the brand. Their model might cause other companies to crash and burn.

I probably guess its not the same feeling like the old Diablo Series but definitely worth the wait.

I actually had diablo 3 pre-ordered and then cancelled it after playing the beta. Got bored of playing diablo 2... beta felt very similar... Maybe I'm just not a gamer anymore.
    I have no sig to spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    I actually had diablo 3 pre-ordered and then cancelled it after playing the beta. Got bored of playing diablo 2... beta felt very similar... Maybe I'm just not a gamer anymore.
    That's my concern too. I don't game at all, except on rare occasions when a sequel to a game I played when I was younger comes out. Doom, Sim City, Grand Theft Auto, Half Life, etc. I'm still on the fence whether or not I will get Diablo 3 when it comes out or wait a couple weeks and see the reviews. Sigh. My gut instinct tells me I'll be disappointed with the game and probably play it for a week then let it sit on my virtual shelf...
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Just a few hours to go ... and I have finally made up my mind (for the nth time) to wait for my gf.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    I can understand that point rather well.
    I've tested and played so many games now, I can totally relate to that. My library of console games runs in the 100s, my library of PC games considerably smaller, but those are pretty much all MMO's... D2, WoW, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, LOTRO... I've played em all.
    The way I look at it is this:

If a game provides me with, say 1-2 hours of enjoyment, I've earned my money back. Any less, and, it's a loss. Finishing the game is , well, it's good, but not something I find obligatory. Some are too confusing to finish, some too complicated, some just not meant to be so (MMO's, for example).

Just got my GTX 670 installed...ready to play!
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    Just got my GTX 670 installed...ready to play!
    hah, overkill much?
    I think my 460 pushed around 60+ FPS on the beta, though it's been a couple weeks.
    I really wish Amazon would have mailed these out earlier in time to get here today, so I could have it installed and all, ready to go tonight, but I can wait a few hours

My body is ready.

hah, overkill much?
    I think my 460 pushed around 60+ FPS on the beta, though it's been a couple weeks.
    I really wish Amazon would have mailed these out earlier in time to get here today, so I could have it installed and all, ready to go tonight, but I can wait a few hours
    I've been waiting to upgrade my older Radeon to something better--good thing the 670 came out just in time.

I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition too. That's the one thing that's weird--Blizzard didn't provide a pre-downloader for those of us who have ordered hard copies. I wonder why not?
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition too. That's the one thing that's weird--Blizzard didn't provide a pre-downloader for those of us who have ordered hard copies. I wonder why not?
    That's actually pretty easily explained
    Without the key, a downloader is pretty useless. I wouldn't want anyone opening my box and giving me my key, will wait till tomorrow afternoon when it shows up.

This is going to be a heavily anticipated release, I'm really surprised that Blizzard didn't authorize the retailers to mail out copies so they'd get there today, or earlier. A smart company would have, it's not like we could actually PLAY the game till they hit the magic 'on' button

That's actually pretty easily explained
    Without the key, a downloader is pretty useless. I wouldn't want anyone opening my box and giving me my key, will wait till tomorrow afternoon when it shows up.
    No, I mean just allow us to pre-download and install the game first to save the time installing via DVDs (would save us half an hour or more if there are already any Patch updates). When the box arrives at my doorstep is the time when I'd register my key.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Exciting

hah, overkill much?
    I missed the beta.

I wanted to see how it would perform on my 560Ti.

Oh FFS.... Battle.net won't let me reset my password, saying the email+name combination doesn't exist. That's BS! I've had the same email forever, I don't understand why it won't just send me a password reset link. Ugh.

EDIT:

To submit a ticket to Battle.net... I NEED TO SIGN INTO BATTLE.NET? WTF? There doesn't appear to be anyway to restore my lost password, god damnit.
    Last edited by Patrick; 05-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Oh FFS.... Battle.net won't let me reset my password, saying the email+name combination doesn't exist. That's BS! I've had the same email forever, I don't understand why it won't just send me a password reset link. Ugh.
    Might try calling blizzard support?
    If you ever had a WoW account or a battle.net account they should be able to sort you right out.

Same thing happened with my battlenet account. Im sure its due to the fact its been so long since ive used mine that they just got rid of it due to inactivity. Possibly what happened to yours. But i think this games just way too overhyped. Overhyped games tend to be garbage. MW3 for instance was so overhyped. Ffs it still is on commercials. Just means theyre desperate.

Might try calling blizzard support?
    If you ever had a WoW account or a battle.net account they should be able to sort you right out.
    I've never played WoW and I never played any of the earlier versions of Diablo in multi-player. To be honest, I don't recall ever creating a Battle.net account. It's just horribly aggravating that:

1. I cannot get a password reset link.
    2. To contact support via email, I need a Battle.net account.

I'll give them a call later. I try to avoid having to call for these things when possible, but I suppose with how many people try to compromise WoW accounts they need extreme measures.

battlenet is one of the most hacked systems imaginable, so if you don't have an account, my bet is that some idiot created an account for you under someone else's name... Believe it or not, these gold farmers do anything and everything

Diablo 3 requires a good graphics card. Diablo 2 will be unsupported in Windows 8.

And only a fanboy will ever upgrade to Windows 8.
    Irregardless, D2 is crap in Win 7 anyways. It was designed 12 years ago, and you can seriously tell.

Played the beta from January up until May and loved every single patch. I bought the collector's edition for the extras

The game is awesome, hands down. Anyone who wants to play co-op this weekend let me know!
    GorillaServers Inc. Powerful Bare Metal Servers
    Instant and Custom Deploy 1Gbps/10Gbps Servers in Los Angeles & Ogden Utah
    Follow us @GorillaServers | GSI on Facebook

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast