hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : [FEATURED] SSD-powered VPSes: first results

Forum Jump

SSD-powered VPSes: first results

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Corporate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughnet View Post
For $70/month ... i would hope it was on top haha
Price doesn't mean much, I've paid much more for crappier hardware... I just know the guys that run it are top notch and wouldn't run a business any other way.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
Price doesn't mean much, I've paid much more for crappier hardware... I just know the guys that run it are top notch and wouldn't run a business any other way.
Well if you think about it if they charge 2x more per month than competitors then they can afford higher end hardware giving them that better performance we are seeing. That's pretty much what I was getting at.

Old
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Well if you think about it if they charge 2x more per month than competitors then they can afford higher end hardware giving them that better performance we are seeing. That's pretty much what I was getting at.
Certainly a valid point.

Worth noting that the $35/mo plan would return nearly the same numbers though.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orien View Post
Certainly a valid point.

Forgot about that. Great point sir on that. When you think about that, it's not that much difference in cost than competitors.

Old
Junior Guru

Can't wait to see the scores for serveraxis.com. I'm looking for a east coast VPS to run my game servers. It's a free service I provide so Im always looking for budget (hence why I went with virtualsrv & piesrv that neither worked out). As long as the numbers show decent for serveraxis.com I'll be trying them out next!

Old
Hosting seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orien View Post
Certainly a valid point.

I made a footnote indicating that.

That means that Alto's assigned CPU cores number is the same, otherwise UnixBench would give other results.

Quote:
Can't wait to see the scores for serveraxis.com. I'm looking for a east coast VPS to run my game servers. It's a free service I provide so Im always looking for budget (hence why I went with virtualsrv & piesrv that neither worked out). As long as the numbers show decent for serveraxis.com I'll be trying them out next!
Unfortunately, I have canceled a VPS from them prior to running all the tests.

If they would allow me to have that VPS for a day, the results will appear really soon.

If they won't (and they are not obliged to give it for free). well, I'll order one several weeks later and run tests.

Last edited by Master Bo; 05-05-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: merging responses
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Konstantin... can you just verify that what I read is correct about CleverKite CPU is 4x E31270? I just find that an unusual setup...

Old
Hosting seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Holben View Post
Konstantin... can you just verify that what I read is correct about CleverKite CPU is 4x E31270? I just find that an unusual setup...
Those are 'virtual cores', reported by UnixBench.
If I perform 'cat /proc/cpuinfo', I'll see this

Code:
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 42
model name	: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31270 @ 3.40GHz
stepping	: 7
cpu MHz		: 3392.298
cache size	: 8192 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 8
core id		: 3
cpu cores	: 4
I suppose this is where the number four is taken. I should make a remark on that in the article,

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbo View Post
Those are 'virtual cores', reported by UnixBench.

I suppose this is where the number four is taken. I should make a remark on that in the article,
Yes Konstantin... it must be all 4 cores avaliable in the E3 1270 (4 cores chip) which means all CleverKite offerings have access to all 4 cores? on a Single E3 1270 with RAID10 4x SSD's

Old
Hosting seer

Quote:
Yes Konstantin... it must be all 4 cores avaliable in the E3 1270 (4 cores chip) which means all CleverKite offerings have access to all 4 cores? on a Single E3 1270 with RAID10 4x SSD's
Well I think we should ask Orien to clarify that.

Old
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Technically the E3-1270s report 8 virtual cores, but yes that's more or less our current builds.

Old

nice performance ....

Old
Web Hosting Master

Thanks for making this list. I think we're about to start seeing a faster rise in popularity for this as the VPS market continues growing and disk I/O continues to be on top of the most frequent bottlenecks for the lower price range.

Old
Hosting seer

Update: I have also added
Amazon EC2 benchmarks chart
You can also download from that page a .ZIP containing all the benchmarks data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
Thanks for making this list. I think we're about to start seeing a faster rise in popularity for this as the VPS market continues growing and disk I/O continues to be on top of the most frequent bottlenecks for the lower price range.
Yes, there are more and more SSD hosting offers nowadays. I suppose this moment is the rise of this industry. Let's observe and participate.

Old
Junior Guru

who paid to let you test the:
m2.4xlarge

package for ec2? haha!