Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 254
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Düsseldorf Germany
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by masterbo View Post

    Now let's see what HP hides in their cloud...
    Konstantin... yes what is a the Cloud really? What's a "true" Cloud? Everyone has so many different opinions on this. There's many who claim their platform is Cloud or IaaS but in reality all they are is glorified highly optimized SSD VPS there's so much hype marketing and deception with this Cloud concept..

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Holben View Post
    Konstantin... yes what is a the Cloud really? What's a "true" Cloud? Everyone has so many different opinions on this. There's many who claim their platform is Cloud or IaaS but in reality all they are is glorified highly optimized SSD VPS there's so much hype marketing and deception with this Cloud concept..
    There's no strict definition of cloud (in terms of cloud computing).

    Cloud resources are distributed over a number of physical computers/devices. Terms "load balancing", "scaling", "redundancy" will also be uttered if the question "what is a cloud?" will be asked.

    Talking of HP cloud, they have API to control their cloud entities (servers and their components, storage objects), so it can be named cloud of IaaS type. Roughly speaking, just like at AWS, although HP cloud has significantly less services types available at this time.

    But first tests showed that for the same cost/performance ration HP instances are more efficient.
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Düsseldorf Germany
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by masterbo View Post
    There's no strict definition of cloud (in terms of cloud computing).

    Cloud resources are distributed over a number of physical computers/devices. Terms "load balancing", "scaling", "redundancy" will also be uttered if the question "what is a cloud?" will be asked.
    I'm not so much referring to HP or AWS here, but don't forget to add in my opinion a "true" Cloud has to have HA High Availability and Automatic Failover ie a node goes down it get's replaced on the Grid instantly or Separate SAN storage or Local Grid Storage like AppLocic or what OnApp is doing with the new OnApp Storage... this is what differentiate in my honest opinion a Cloud and a pumped up glorified VPS running SSD's with no HA or Failover...

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Holben View Post
    I'm not so much referring to HP or AWS here, but don't forget to add in my opinion a "true" Cloud has to have HA High Availability and Automatic Failover ie a node goes down it get's replaced on the Grid instantly or Separate SAN storage or Local Grid Storage like AppLocic or what OnApp is doing with the new OnApp Storage... this is what differentiate in my honest opinion a Cloud and a pumped up glorified VPS running SSD's with no HA or Failover...
    As I said, there's no strict definition of a cloud. If HA and AF are the must, there's almost no real clouds.

    And those true clouds, in this case, will hardly be for general public, their prices will go, sorry for banal metaphor, sky-high.

    Could you give examples of clouds as you understand them?
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Düsseldorf Germany
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by masterbo View Post
    As I said, there's no strict definition of a cloud. If HA and AF are the must, there's almost no real clouds.

    And those true clouds, in this case, will hardly be for general public, their prices will go, sorry for banal metaphor, sky-high.

    Could you give examples of clouds as you understand them?
    Sure Kontantin no problem... the whole CA 3Tera AppLogic Cloud Grid infrastructure is very well done and meets all this requirements, so does OnApp with it's current separate SAN architecture but will be even more awesome once the OnApp Local Storage currently goes from Beta this summer hopefully live it will be absolute huge change a major industry changer... also VMvare EXK vCloud vDirector however that's a very much expensive proposition...

    I can find many providers who can provide this HA AF at a reasonable price point perhaps a bit more expensive but not by much, also Cloud pricing will gradually come down and stabilize itself over the next 1-2 years where everything now is still in it's infancy and hyped up and like in Europe we're way behind the US in Cloud implementation... in about 5 years time everything we do now will be based on the Cloud concept it will be just how things will be done and I can't wait for this to happen!

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Holben View Post
    Sure Kontantin no problem... ...

    I can find many providers who can provide this HA AF at a reasonable price point perhaps a bit more expensive but not by much, also Cloud pricing will gradually come down and stabilize itself over the next 1-2 years where everything now is still in it's infancy and hyped up and like in Europe we're way behind the US in Cloud implementation... in about 5 years time everything we do now will be based on the Cloud concept it will be just how things will be done and I can't wait for this to happen!
    Thanks, Henrik. As far as I see, CA cloud services are for companies, not for individual users.

    But yes, I would be glad to know of the true clouds. The longer is the list, the better - the more information could be achieved. I will greatly appreciate any list to investigate.

    The list I worked is mostly VPS services - advanced, automated, not too expensive.

    High availability isn't too rare a thing, but automated failover is. It reminds me of (Tandem) NonStop, since such a cloud should keep the exact copy of everything at hand.
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Düsseldorf Germany
    Posts
    305
    Konstantin I would love to give you a few providers names but I'm not sure I can find any who are capable of running all SSD platforms yet, this SSD technology is still also new and is just beginning to explode and will replace SAS over the next few years, also many current VPS providers will build their whole infrastructure on the Cloud concept... in many ways we're in the middle of a very big revolutionary time right now... it's very big...

    Many people thing the Cloud is all about scale up and scale down and scale out, but they forget the major component has to be Automated Failover, if any part of the Cloud's components, a node, a SAN, a switch, a hard disk fails automatically it gets replaced in the chain, you can't say that with normal VPS where ideally with a Cloud you would have a HA AF on guaranteed 99,95% or better... a Cloud without HA and AF is not a Cloud in my opinion... all the other stuff is all "fluffy" super hyped marketing tricks and gimmicks!

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Holben View Post
    Konstantin I would love to give you a few providers names ...
    I can start another thread in Cloud forum, since the immediate availability of SSD isn't that important.

    It could also be more correct, since cloud-specific discussions could be considered an offtopic.

    So, I am going to Cloud forum, if you don't mind. Thanks.
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Düsseldorf Germany
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by masterbo View Post
    I can start another thread in Cloud forum, since the immediate availability of SSD isn't that important.

    It could also be more correct, since cloud-specific discussions could be considered an offtopic.

    So, I am going to Cloud forum, if you don't mind. Thanks.
    Sure that's a great idea Konstantin! my apologies if I took the thread off topic on another tangent and direction... so back to the SSD VPS Seer!

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,399
    I think a blog post explaining the difference between SSDs in RAID and SSDs not in RAID. I've noticed that a few of the providers are not using RAID...
    DediCube (Servers For Resellers) and SiFuQi (Servers For Everyone Else)
    Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California • Chinese & English Support
    Cheap Bandwidth • Cheap SSDs • Cheap HDDs • Premium 24/7 Support
    Contact me at Steven[@]DediCube.com if you have any questions.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by EndServer View Post
    I think a blog post explaining the difference between SSDs in RAID and SSDs not in RAID. I've noticed that a few of the providers are not using RAID...
    No problem writing such a post.
    However, I supposed providers should know the effect of RAIDs in such a case.
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,399
    Quote Originally Posted by masterbo View Post
    No problem writing such a post.
    However, I supposed providers should know the effect of RAIDs in such a case.
    Mdadm doesn't support TRIM, you're right, BUT that is fine...
    DediCube (Servers For Resellers) and SiFuQi (Servers For Everyone Else)
    Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California • Chinese & English Support
    Cheap Bandwidth • Cheap SSDs • Cheap HDDs • Premium 24/7 Support
    Contact me at Steven[@]DediCube.com if you have any questions.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by EndServer View Post
    Mdadm doesn't support TRIM, you're right, BUT that is fine...
    Yes, that's a separate big field for discussions. I know, I know, the famous 'discard' option for ext4 on SSD can do wonders (of either kind).

    As far as I know, TRIM is a controversy in itself, and still not supported by majority of hardware and software means to handle dives/filesystems.
    Last edited by Master Bo; 05-14-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: typo
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    320
    Interesting thread
    █ Subnet Labs, LLC : | Contact Us
    Impact VPS | Cloud Servers | IP Leasing | Consulting | Software Development
    █ Seattle based servers

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,575
    Commencing extensive tests of CloudSigma services, detailed review shall follow.

    They offer SSD storage, so it can be interesting to those looking for well-balanced and resources-optimized hosting *and* high-efficiency hosting.

    More details to be covered in VPSeer. Stay tuned.
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,575
    ******** listing added to the mentioned banchmarks table.

    To those interested, ********'s VPSes are new leaders in terms of throughput/efficiency, beating CleverKite ones into the second place.
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Bo View Post
    ******** listing added to the mentioned banchmarks table.

    To those interested, ********'s VPSes are new leaders in terms of throughput/efficiency, beating CleverKite ones into the second place.
    Can you also do results by country? Best SSD for UK, USA, etc.
    HostXNow - http://www.hostxnow.com | Since 2009
    Fast, Secure and Reliable [UK/USA/Asia] Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - VPS Hosting
    cPanel/WHM • CloudLinux (Multi PHP) • Offsite Backups • LiteSpeed • TrendyTools • Softaculous

  18. #93

  19. #94
    Excellent thread and should help people make a well informed decision when choosing a High Performance vps host.

    Good Work Master Bo!

  20. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Bo View Post
    ******** listing added to the mentioned banchmarks table.

    To those interested, ********'s VPSes are new leaders in terms of throughput/efficiency, beating CleverKite ones into the second place.
    Thank you for posting your benchmark results to your site!

    <<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 06-05-2012 at 11:39 AM.

  21. #96
    Hello

    I have noticed that the download link for minivps is for a different company, is that correct ?

    Kind regards

    Simon
    miniVPS - UK/EU Value and Premium VPS Servers!
    miniVPN - UK/EU Personal VPN Service.
    - Coming Soon!
    Xavvo.com Innovative Hosting for Innovative People!

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    Can you also do results by country? Best SSD for UK, USA, etc.
    No problem adding country information. Do I assume correctly, that datacenters locations is what is of interest, as well?

    Quote Originally Posted by frmok View Post
    ******** got a really excellent result. Tempted to try it.
    Well, I suggest giving it a try.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dradden View Post
    Excellent thread and should help people make a well informed decision when choosing a High Performance vps host.

    Good Work Master Bo!
    Thanks. However, please note that benchmarks are to give an impression, they can't be a guarantee of exactly the same performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by GV-Seann View Post
    Thank you for posting your benchmark results to your site!

    It is very promising that as we continue to put new systems online, we are moving in the right direction with our configuration and optimization. ...
    I hope the tests results would lead to more happy customers. SSD aren't yet widely used, so the picture of what lies ahead could help to make decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by mVPS-Simon View Post
    I have noticed that the download link for minivps is for a different company, is that correct ?
    No, that's a cut-n-paste type of error. Corrected. Thanks for letting me know, Simon.
    Last edited by Master Bo; 06-03-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typos
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

  23. #98
    For me, datacenter location(s) are what matters. I had to click on each one to figure out what the options were.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Novosibirsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFresco View Post
    For me, datacenter location(s) are what matters. I had to click on each one to figure out what the options were.
    OK, I'll add datacenters locations during the next list update.
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    819
    Hi guys,

    @Master Bo, not sure if the following providers offer ssd but it looks like promising.

    stratogen.com
    webair.com
    gearhost.com

    Now, with regards to "cloud hype" I think it is not something new. It came out back on 80's or so but the technology and software to back it up was not there and so it was left to mature. It now certainly very advanced and well defined as a farm off 100's or 1000's of nodes/vps/servers that controlled by the "cloud software layer" aka control panel.

    I agree that is here to stay and is quite good and definitely provodes HA and instant failover, at least the big players. There are other things to concider though suvh as one more layer to fail the "cloud", data recovery when something really goes wrong, confidentiality issues may arise and could lead to a monopoly like the energy sector cause many firms that now own theeir own hardware they will eventually have to rent/depend on someone else.

    That is just a view and of course there are many questions to be answered, food for thought maybe:-)

    Have a good wkd all

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ramnode ssd powered vps
    By imthebest in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 01:26 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-13-2012, 04:54 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 04:47 PM
  4. Premium cPanel Hosting + Litespeed Powered with SSD Drive
    By kunc86 in forum Shared Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •