Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    381

    Xeon E3-1230 vs Dual Xeon 5520

    I am presently having Xeon E3 server.
    If i need to upgrade which is the better choice?

    Dual Xeon 5520 a better choice?

  2. #2
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
    Xeon E3-1230 : 8367
    Dual Xeon 5520 : 9020
    Intel Xeon E5 : 10401↑
    █ Hostitek - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ Shared Hosting – Reseller Hosting – VPS – Dedicated Server – Domain Name Registration
    http://hostitek.com | E-mail: service@hostitek.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by hostitek View Post
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
    Xeon E3-1230 : 8367
    Dual Xeon 5520 : 9020
    Intel Xeon E5 : 10401↑
    I can see you have double Xeon 5520's value.
    Does it really faster than E3?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    165
    While the double 5520s do seem to perform slightly better the price for them compared to the 1230 seems quite a lot higher, if you buy them at least. If you're renting somewhere and the price is the same, I guess you could go for the double 5520s.
    Regards
    Jacob

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    381
    I checked in future hosting.
    E3-1230 approx $149 (16GB Ram)
    Dual Xeon 5520 $259.95 (24GB Ram)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    165
    if you dont need the extra ram, I think you should go for the 1230 (or try removing some ram from the dual 5520 setup and see how much the price will be reduced), the performance gain from the dual 5520s is not that big. Maybe they have a E3-1270 or E3-1290?
    Regards
    Jacob

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    381
    That extra ram costs $50
    They dont have E3-1270 or E3-1290

    Have you seen this E3-1270 or E3-1290 with any hosting provider?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12,930
    Quote Originally Posted by agriz View Post
    I checked in future hosting.
    E3-1230 approx $149 (16GB Ram)
    Dual Xeon 5520 $259.95 (24GB Ram)
    You should grab it.

    It is a good price already.
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net providing web hosting services and support 24/7 since 2001.
    .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    You should grab it.

    It is a good price already.
    Nope, I want to know whether it will perform better than E3 1230
    If the performance is same as E3 1230, Why should i spend that much money?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    657
    Personally E3-1230 just rocks at its level and price point,

    The main reason i could see going with the 5520's would be additional RAM, As its rather expensive to fill a E3-1230 based system with RAM, the 5520 could have more than 32GB and generally that will cost less!
    Nic (nic[at]doctorcloud.com.au) | Doctor Cloud Pty Ltd

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally Posted by agriz View Post
    Nope, I want to know whether it will perform better than E3 1230
    If the performance is same as E3 1230, Why should i spend that much money?
    If you don't want to upgrade the RAM in future, just pick Xeon E3. Its tremendous value for money but can support only 32GB RAM (most providers won't go over 16gb unless you are going to pay a lot).

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12,930
    Quote Originally Posted by agriz View Post
    Nope, I want to know whether it will perform better than E3 1230
    If the performance is same as E3 1230, Why should i spend that much money?
    I thought you read hostitek post already?

    We are talking about 1 cpu vs 2 cpu. Both are quad core with HT but the E5520 you mentioned has 2 cpu.

    Although E3 is latest, I will still go for Dual CPU for the obvious reason.
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net providing web hosting services and support 24/7 since 2001.
    .

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by chennaihomie View Post
    If you don't want to upgrade the RAM in future, just pick Xeon E3. Its tremendous value for money but can support only 32GB RAM (most providers won't go over 16gb unless you are going to pay a lot).
    I am already using E3.
    I have limited ram. Only 16GB

    I want to upgrade.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    I thought you read hostitek post already?

    We are talking about 1 cpu vs 2 cpu. Both are quad core with HT but the E5520 you mentioned has 2 cpu.

    Although E3 is latest, I will still go for Dual CPU for the obvious reason.
    I Agree with this, because ofcourse, dual cpu is better... or else your ram wont be nothing if you use ur cpu 100%

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    I thought you read hostitek post already?

    We are talking about 1 cpu vs 2 cpu. Both are quad core with HT but the E5520 you mentioned has 2 cpu.

    Although E3 is latest, I will still go for Dual CPU for the obvious reason.
    I asked question for "hostitek" post.
    Why do you say you will go for Dual CPU?

    The E3 is double times faster then single 5520.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by BuyAServer View Post
    I Agree with this, because ofcourse, dual cpu is better... or else your ram wont be nothing if you use ur cpu 100%
    Hi, Great.
    Can you please explain me this in little details. I really really want to know. So i can go ahead to get the dual xeon.

    Thanks

  17. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 03:50 PM
  2. NEW packages XEON X3430, XEON X3450, Dual Xeon 5520 starts from $169/mo
    By BoxIntense in forum Dedicated Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 10:07 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 01:44 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 03:49 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 12:32 PM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •