hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : How Robust is my server?
Reply

Forum Jump

How Robust is my server?

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 AM
bigscanner bigscanner is offline
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 80

How Robust is my server?


Can someone here tell me what kind of performance I should expect out of this server?
I have about 40 accounts. Only 5-6 of them are actually active every day. One of them is a VERY active image gallery and has 300-400 users on at one time.

I have a Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz with 12GB Ram.

Is it normal to assume a very active site with 300-400 users at a time will overload this system?
Hosting company is suggesting putting MySQL on a second drive. Is this a good solution for constant system overloads?

Curious.
T



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 AM
vpsfusion vpsfusion is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 631
I think it is a good idea to move your MySQL DB to another drive. Since you have about 300-400 users poking at your database, it is probably using up alot of I/O which might also cause high CPU usage. Placing the MySQL DB on another drive will help speed things up and lower your CPU load as well.

__________________
Hussain Baig - 1-866-954-6747
Toronto based VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation
VPS Fusion - Providing scalable and reliable hosting solutions.

  #3  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 PM
bigscanner bigscanner is offline
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 80
Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 04-17-2012, 04:32 PM
funkywizard funkywizard is offline
unghhh... Baaandwidth....
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscanner View Post
Can someone here tell me what kind of performance I should expect out of this server?
I have about 40 accounts. Only 5-6 of them are actually active every day. One of them is a VERY active image gallery and has 300-400 users on at one time.

I have a Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz with 12GB Ram.

Is it normal to assume a very active site with 300-400 users at a time will overload this system?
Hosting company is suggesting putting MySQL on a second drive. Is this a good solution for constant system overloads?

Curious.
T
Image galleries, particularly popular ones, are notorious resource hogs. First off, every pageview tends to have what, 100 thumbnails? A regular hard disk can only read about 100-150 random i/o / second, so in general you'll be maxing out one typical SATA drive with 1 pageview / second. Secondly, a lot of these image galleries tend to use really bloated and inefficient software that's really heavy on cpu / database.

The only sane way to host that kind of site is either put all of it on SSD (if the size needs aren't too great), or put all the thumbnails on SSD and all the large images on regular hard drives. Even then, if it's a really popular site, it'll be using a lot of ram and cpu as well.

__________________
IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
Watch this space...

  #5  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 PM
bigscanner bigscanner is offline
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 80
Thanks FunkyWizard.

  #6  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 PM
AdmoNet AdmoNet is offline
Web Hosting Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
Image galleries, particularly popular ones, are notorious resource hogs. First off, every pageview tends to have what, 100 thumbnails? A regular hard disk can only read about 100-150 random i/o / second, so in general you'll be maxing out one typical SATA drive with 1 pageview / second. Secondly, a lot of these image galleries tend to use really bloated and inefficient software that's really heavy on cpu / database.

The only sane way to host that kind of site is either put all of it on SSD (if the size needs aren't too great), or put all the thumbnails on SSD and all the large images on regular hard drives. Even then, if it's a really popular site, it'll be using a lot of ram and cpu as well.
I am not completely sure I agree with each page view requiring 1 IOP/sec.... that's where your OS comes in handy and caches to free memory or MySQL keeps the queries cached in the table/query cache. I would recommend that you look at your IO currently on the system at your busiest point of the day with a command like "iostat -d -x -k 1" (use CTRL+C to break out of that command when done) and analyze your total %iowait and how many reads/write/sec you are seeing.

IOFlood - I agree it seems simple that one page view = 1 IOP/sec but really... a single page view could execute 2000 MySQL queries generating lots of IO ... or simply hit cache and generate little to no IO other than what is written to disk for web logs.

Just my 2c

__________________
=>Admo.net Managed Hosting
=> Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
=> Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
=> Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

  #7  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 AM
funkywizard funkywizard is offline
unghhh... Baaandwidth....
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmoNet View Post
I am not completely sure I agree with each page view requiring 1 IOP/sec.... that's where your OS comes in handy and caches to free memory or MySQL keeps the queries cached in the table/query cache. I would recommend that you look at your IO currently on the system at your busiest point of the day with a command like "iostat -d -x -k 1" (use CTRL+C to break out of that command when done) and analyze your total %iowait and how many reads/write/sec you are seeing.

IOFlood - I agree it seems simple that one page view = 1 IOP/sec but really... a single page view could execute 2000 MySQL queries generating lots of IO ... or simply hit cache and generate little to no IO other than what is written to disk for web logs.

Just my 2c
It all depends. On larger image boards, the linux disk cache isn't very useful as all of the general traffic amounts to a bunch of noise that will eject the hot items from the ram cache. I.E each 200KB image that gets loaded will eject 20 thumbnail images from the cache, even though that large image won't be loaded again before it is ejected itself. For really big boards, even without this effect, the sheer amount and variety of images being loaded would overwhelm the ram cache regardless. Although a solid cache hit rate will reduce this problem quite a lot, the larger the image board and the more diverse the images being loaded, the closer the disk usage matches the worst case. In general, if you're even bothering to ask the question in the first place, chances are you have a problem here.

The point about mysql is certainly valid as image board software tends to be just as heavy and inefficient on the mysql side as it is on the image side. If you put the thumbnails and the mysql onto an SSD, generally things will perform well, and then your next bottleneck would be CPU, but that tends to happen at a much higher traffic level.

__________________
IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
Watch this space...

  #8  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 AM
AdmoNet AdmoNet is offline
Web Hosting Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 462
I agree ... if you can just go with SSD but there are lots of variables I think its impossible to make a complete recommendation without the full hardware specs and more details...

At any rate Funkywizard's recommendation will take you far as most things that are database related or even just high concurrency flakes out at the storage layer first. Good luck!

__________________
=>Admo.net Managed Hosting
=> Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
=> Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
=> Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

  #9  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 AM
net net is offline
Community Liaison
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11,244
Moved > Dedicated Server.

__________________
.
JoneSolutions.Com + SSS = Your Number One Choice On The Net - since 2001

It's Fully Managed and Secured. Ask us at sales @ jonesolutions.com .

  #10  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 AM
bigscanner bigscanner is offline
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by net View Post
Moved > Dedicated Server.
Sorry. It is *managed* dedicated so I thought I was in the right place.
Again - thanks for the responses in this tread.

  #11  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM
GigeNETDave GigeNETDave is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Definitely agree,that you should separate MySQL to a database server which will increase the performance of your server

Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which server is more robust... Frosty Dedicated Server 10 07-15-2009 10:09 PM
Need a robust server, and help :) tranceformer VPS Hosting 4 11-23-2007 01:15 PM

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Total Server Solutions Buys Its Second Web Host in Three Months: Hands-On Web Hosting Web Hosting News 2014-01-09 11:29:23
CA Technologies Launches Free Monitoring Tool Web Hosting News 2013-10-10 14:27:42
Codero Hosting Adds Dell PowerEdge Servers Web Hosting News 2013-04-03 15:48:11
Web Host 1&1 Internet Adds Server Restoration Tool for Virtual Machines Web Hosting News 2012-11-07 15:45:16
Cloud Software Provider GreenButton Launches Cloud Fabric Server Platform Web Hosting News 2012-11-06 17:11:09


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:
WHT Membership
WHT Membership



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?