hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Industry Announcements : Providers and Network Outages and Updates : Directspace VPS DOWN FOR HOURS!!!

Forum Jump

Directspace VPS DOWN FOR HOURS!!!

Reply Post New Thread In Providers and Network Outages and Updates Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Display Modes
Old

I'd just like to leave this here xD

(It's a screenshot of a support ticket of mine in January)

So essentially I was lied to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (76.4 KB, 152 views)

Sponsored Links
Old

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaintoms View Post
I'd just like to leave this here xD

(It's a screenshot of a support ticket of mine in January)

So essentially I was lied to?
Absolutely. If they had full node backups their downtime would have been minimal and accounts would have been reversed to the changes last made at the time the backup was taken.

They just confirmed via support ticket to me that they were implementing a backup system in the near future.

I guess their thought was "well, they're fully unmanaged so we don't care about their silly files", but failed to recognize that their business depends on those backups being available should a full scale hack of a server happen.

I'm an ex direct space client who has lost nothing more than /etc config files. Still, I chose to leave due to what ***in my opinion*** is an incredibly stupid way of managing a hosting business.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFON View Post
Absolutely. If they had full node backups their downtime would have been minimal and accounts would have been reversed to the changes last made at the time the backup was taken.

They just confirmed via support ticket to me that they were implementing a backup system in the near future.

I guess their thought was "well, they're fully unmanaged so we don't care about their silly files", but failed to recognize that their business depends on those backups being available should a full scale hack of a server happen.

I'm an ex direct space client who has lost nothing more than /etc config files. Still, I chose to leave due to what ***in my opinion*** is an incredibly stupid way of managing a hosting business.
I think this is about normal with VPS or dedicated servers. Unless the servers are specifically stated that they are backed up, they are not.

It is usually up the client when they have their own server to take and store backups.

Sponsored Links
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
I think this is about normal with VPS or dedicated servers. Unless the servers are specifically stated that they are backed up, they are not.

It is usually up the client when they have their own server to take and store backups.
Yeah, my point was that the downtime is not excusable. They were down 3+ days (they may still be ... who knows) because there is no full node backup to restore from in a matter of hours.

Old

See, I would understand if it were an individual VPS issue and they didn't have backups (as I did eventually in my support ticket which I linked above). But for a full node? That's inexcusable. Even if the backup was only a weekly backup, it would have saved so much time, money, and effort in the end, as not EVERYTHING would have been lost.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Since they speciffically say in a ticket to a customer that they have full nodes backup, then they should restore those when the full node has been deleted because of their security problems.
In this case, customers have to backup in case their VPS is hacked, for instance, the company goes bust, they forget to pay, node is suspended or cancelled by host for whatever reason, fs corruption by out of control script, hdd bad sectors, whatever is affecting only that particular customer because the company will certainly not do a rollback for everyone or do extra work to restore that speciffic container when they dumped everything in one tar file.
If they do have the full node backup as they claim, they HAVE TO restore it when data was lost because of their exclusive fault. They are not forced to take the full back-ups, agreed, but it does make sense for their own reputation. A customer which lost data (even if it is just a bit since last back-up the customer took) through the host's error will be much happier with low downtime and some kind of a back-up restored than just receive the blanket "we are sorry, dunno when will be up" letter. 3 days downtime is inexcusable, especially when the data is not restored. I mean, I can install and configure manually (without any script) VMWare, XEN, Proxmox servers in half an hour each on low end hardware for my homelab to test things and they cant finish all in 3 days ?
When **** happens you ask employees for extra hours, pay extra, get them pizza and coffee to get the things done since you cant really hire others in that short time, it is impossible not to be done in this way in 24 hours of hard work and iron bugs later.
I hope they learn from this. **** happens to everyone sooner or later, it is the way they deal with it that makes the difference.
M

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I am not a DS client but, the services are unmanaged. On your server you have the full ability to backup your own files. The only hosting that I buy and expect to be backed up is website and gameserver hosting, but even with my website i have a cron to zip the public html once every 7days and upload it to another place, and mysql databases are backed up every our, how hard is it to take your own backups? Not hard at all.

IMHO you shouldn't blame the host for your own incompetency to setup your own backups, it isnt hard to connect to FTP and click and drag files to your desktop if you dont know how to use crontab and bash scripting.

Last edited by JackVX; 04-19-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old

@JackVX, @Maounique,

The point of this thread is not just about backups and what not. Sure, we should all backup our files, and I am sure we all did. And for those who didn't have backups, it's just their bad luck.

The point being, the node went down for days, we the clients are left without access to our servers. How are we to answer to our own clients when we can't even access our own servers?

I eventually moved to another vps provider after 24hours without access, because I just couldn't bear my clients breathing down my neck asking about why their emails went down. I'd come clean with them saying there is no hope in restoring webfiles, but at least I get to salvage a few due to the fact that uptime was more important to them.

So to sum up, it's not just about backups, more about DS getting us back up ASAP, which apparently they failed to even do so.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by webserveme View Post
@JackVX, @Maounique,

The point of this thread is not just about backups and what not. Sure, we should all backup our files, and I am sure we all did. And for those who didn't have backups, it's just their bad luck.

The point being, the node went down for days, we the clients are left without access to our servers. How are we to answer to our own clients when we can't even access our own servers?

I eventually moved to another vps provider after 24hours without access, because I just couldn't bear my clients breathing down my neck asking about why their emails went down. I'd come clean with them saying there is no hope in restoring webfiles, but at least I get to salvage a few due to the fact that uptime was more important to them.

So to sum up, it's not just about backups, more about DS getting us back up ASAP, which apparently they failed to even do so.
The fact that you actually accept money from clients whilst using cheap, rumoured to be 'oversold' OpenVZ hosting, answers your question about the downtime sorry to say.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Actually, it is a bit about back-ups. They said they have back-ups of the entire nodes. If that was the case, restoring those would have been fast and easy.
Since there were days of downtime, either those back-ups were a myth or they were deleted as well.
Every customer is different, some might value uptime over data retrieval (especially those that made back-ups), others could wait longer just to get their data back (those with important data without (recent) back-ups).
BOTH would have benefitted if the company did have those full node back-ups available, also the company itself would have pulled a great victory out of a disaster, increasing customer's confidence that they are safe with it, even if hiccups can occur.
Sure, unmanaged and all, but a dump a day keeps the angry customer away and 2 TB drives are 100 bucks a piece. They can hold many compressed and incremental back-ups of a much larger node (depending on how compressible the data is and how much can they fine tune the back-up to avoid the OSes and only get user data).
I never said they have to do it, but it would have been a good thing for everyone.
M

Old
Junior Guru

Could someone provide an update about this issue?
What the company did about it?
Did you get your data/files?

Old
Web Hosting Guru

service was restore but create new one. Client data all loss. Fortunately, I always keep backup. Pls keep backup, if you use all of budget vps

Old
Junior Guru

Such a joke company!!!!!! Wonder how they still in business. In the advertising section of WHT they should force threads to include all links of reviews of their company/services. This would allow new clients to be well informed of the service of they are getting into. Maybe help innocent new clients avoid poor companies. Just my 2 cents.

Old

My VPS at DirectSpace is again OFFLINE for many hours!!!

Old

<< removed >> this company is really threating me!! my VPS is offline about more than 36hours!! << removed >>

My customer is runaway!! and i don't know how to get my backups , becuase my ticket still not reply!!
My Support Tickets - #575100 [my VPS is DOWN or OFFLINE! for more than 24hours!!]

Last edited by writespeak; 06-20-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Removed non-family-friendly language