hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Abovenet routing

Forum Jump

Abovenet routing

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Web Hosting Master

Abovenet routing

Has anyone noticed strange routes on ABVT lately? I live in NJ and most of my routes go through NYC... except for ABVT. Their routes go through WDC, for some reason. Is ABVT always this crappy? I get much better routing through XO, and that's saying something.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Head Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
Has anyone noticed strange routes on ABVT lately? I live in NJ and most of my routes go through NYC... except for ABVT. Their routes go through WDC, for some reason. Is ABVT always this crappy? I get much better routing through XO, and that's saying something.
You didn't state the destination of the traffic, so how can we assume it's "crappy"? Did you consider various maintenance schedules?

Dallas, TX and Seattle, WA Data Centers: SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Old 04-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
You didn't state the destination of the traffic, so how can we assume it's "crappy"? Did you consider various maintenance schedules?
This has been going on for months. It doesn't matter what the destination is, everything is routed from WDC and not NYC. Considering I'm less than 30 miles outside of NYC, this doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Even if the server is in NYC, ABVT routes me to WDC and back to NYC.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Head Geek

Traffic from your home in nj to NYC going via wdc would be your ISP making the route decision.... No? What do you see if you trace from the NY server to your home in nj? No wdc Im guessing?

Most likely your ISP is peering with abovenet in wdc or something like that. Hard to guess without seeing complete routes back and forth.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Web Hosting Master

Your outbound has nothing to do with Abovenet and everything to do with YOUR home ISP.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Ive actually been seeing non-optimal routes via above.net in LA as well. Most of the time it routes through northern california/sanjose area outbound and inbound so 20ms latency to a local server instead of <3ms like it should be.