Post Keyword Practice & Keyword Tools!

I am currently trying to better the SEO for my website.
    I used the keyword tool on google adwords to find keywords/phrases that are relevant to my website. After searching several "Exact" keywords relevant to my website, i choose 10 keywords with alot of monthly searches, but not too much as im starting out & i think it will be slightly easier to get better rank in the less used keywords. I also checked the competition on each keyword/phrase & went for low - med competition. I then added these keywords into my website/webpage <head> & then started to build article, blog, forum & web-directory back-links to my website using the keywords/phrases i choose as the anchor text in the backlinks.

This is as much as i have done so far regarding keyword targeting.
    Is there anything about what iv done that you would consider wrong?
    Is there anything else that i should do to improve what iv done already?
    Is there something that im not doing in regards to keyword targeting that i should be doing to help improve my results in the top search engines?

Please comment on this thread with your thoughts as im quite new to the SEO game & will appreciate any help, tips, information, etc.. given to me! Thanks!

It sounds like you are doing the right things improve the SEO of your site. You mentioned that you put the keywords into the <head>... does that mean you just put them in the meta description and meta keywords? Try and use the keywords in your title tag, your heading tags (<h1>, <h2> etc) alt tags and your page content to increase keyword relevance.

The first step to start Search Engine Optimization campaign is to build a keyword list of which there are varying methods of doing so.

1.-Know the Site: Here you will need to know your website. Brainstorm about* a list of somewhat generic keywords. Think about all of characteristics related* to your business which could be used such as: Location, Price, Types, Industry specific, etc.*

2.-The next step is lengthening that list using your favorite Keyword tool: The idea now is to go through the list* by the keyword tool and copy any and all similar terms as well as their corresponding search values, which relate directly to the site you’re optimizing. Once you have copied and pasted, just go through the list row by row. Delete keywords that don’t have to do with the website you’re optimizing and repeat with the next pseudo-generic keyword on your list. The idea is to identify as many keywords as possible.

3.- Narrowing the List : The time to narrow down this long keyword list* by deciding whether you can over take the competition and rank higher than competing websites. Verify the following: The number of searches of a particular keyword, the amount of competition, and which keywords will convert best.

Its very important to use advanced search strings in the search engine of your choice in order to* determine your competition for various keywords and also to know how many quality backlinks you’ll need to acquire.*

4.- Keyword Layout by selecting keywords that are more competitive, which should be placed on pages that will receive deep links.
    You also need to decide on which other highly trusted pages,* your keywords will be mentioned.*

You are on right path but go for quality work not quantity work means use good sites for article submission, blog, forums and web directories. Besides it, you can go for social networking sites like digg, stumbleupon etc. Blog comment also can help but choose only relevant blogs.

For keywords analysis the important thing that should always keep in mind is to select the search terms that are relevant to the business information and products and services a business offers. The second important thing those selected terms must have considerable search volume.

Get a free Google 'Webmaster Tools' account and have your site evaluated by it. It will let you know if any problems exists with your site (duplicate content, etc.), what keywords are used to find your site, and what page(s) your site appears on.
    John Rasri
    Private Label Live Chat Provider For Resellers
    GotLiveChat.com
    White Label/Brand-able live chat software solutions

Keyword research is very important work in SEO.Whole seo work depends upon keywords if wrong keywords have chosen then it means all seo work will ruin.So its very necessary to do this work very carefully.Google adword keyword tool is one of the best tool to research tool.If you want to use paid tool then wordtracker is a great choice.
    Get your fully customized online store that is easy to manage and generates constant revenue. Discuss your eCommerce project with us.

I have an experience regarding keywords competition. If we are optimizing our website for conversion then we should choose keyword, even with high competition.

And if we need traffic, then we should use the formula of low competition and high traffic.
    Motorcycle Accessories
    Bike Locks - Secure Your Bike From Thieves
    Open Face Helmets - Safe Your Life From Bad Days

Quote Originally Posted by LeilaEvan View Post
    If we are optimizing our website for conversion then we should choose keyword, even with high competition.
    I would like to add to this. Just because a keyword is high competition doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it, at least not without investigating it. Do an actual search and have a look at the top ranking sites for it (i.e on the first page).
    When I did this I found there were some low quality sites and I was able to target some high ranking words and get on the first page in front of them.

hmm do you happen to visit semrush.com ? there you can search for keywords and see how "hot" they are, determined from the monthly searches/results etc.

Also if you are using Firefox, the Seoquake addon is awesome
    Mike Zyla - Voicent Communications - VoIP Expert
    VoIP software provider in call center software, IVR, predictive dialer, autodialer, etc.
    Communication tools for sales, marketing, customer service, event notification, appointment reminder, and much more!
    Suites for small businesses, call centers, and enterprises.

Just remember that nowadays google prefers quality, so focus on backlinks from your niche websites

Don't use just your keywords in your anchor texts. Make sure you get many links to your site with your domain name and the actual url as the anchor texts.

Over half of your backlinks should have anchor text like "http://site.com" or "site name". Use multiple variations of these. You can even do things "keyword by Site Name" or "click here to visit Site Name".

Too many keyword anchors will now be considered "unnatural" and devalued by Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vlcek View Post
    Don't use just your keywords in your anchor texts. Make sure you get many links to your site with your domain name and the actual url as the anchor texts.
    Over half of your backlinks should have anchor text like "http://site.com" or "site name". Use multiple variations of these. You can even do things "keyword by Site Name" or "click here to visit Site Name".
    Too many keyword anchors will now be considered "unnatural" and devalued by Google.
    Please give a link to your source for this from Google please, I must have missed it because I haven't seen anything that supports what you are saying.

Really? It has been the biggest talk in the SEO industry for the past few weeks. It is being talked about on every SEO site.

Really? It has been the biggest talk in the SEO industry for the past few weeks. It is being talked about on every SEO site.
    Fine, so please give the source?

Are you perhaps referring to the two references made by Google to anchor text in their blog last week?

I am not going to post links to other communities, but it is even being talked about here...

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1141677

I wasn't asking you to link to other communities but to the source, i.e. where does Google say all that you stated in your posting? Or where have the specifics you quote been speculated on an authoratitive SEO site (e.g. SEOmoz, Searchengineland etc).
    The thread you have linked to here is about whether Google is out to ban SEO, and I can't see anything there related to anchor text.
    I'm on a number of SEO forums and I haven't seen it discussed.
    If I've missed something that's fair enough and I want to know about it, and if you are making a specific statement such as you have then it must have come from somewhere?

Google mentioned they are going after over-optimization. I did not bookmark the original source. The discussion I linked to is a discussion on how Google is going after over-optimization. These discussions are everywhere right now.

This issue started early this year when sites started receiving alert messages in Webmaster Tools about "unnatural" links. Then Google said they will be rolling out major updates that "level the playing field" and devalue over-optimization. The issue really heated up when major network such as bmr were banned. Now people know Google is seriously going after over-optimization.

Google IS going after over-optimization and "unnatural" links. These have been the main topics on the sites you mentioned for a couple months.

Google is not going to come out and reveal what they consider over-optimizing and unnatural. If you read through the conversations on any of the sites you mentioned, you will see what many experts consider to be over-optimizing and unnatural.

I have a client that had their main keyword as their #1 anchor text. We have been trying to increase the number of more natural links because it is not natural to have the main keyword your #1 anchor. My client received a message alert from Google saying they had too many unnatural links.

Put 2 and 2 together and you will see. The evidence is everywhere. Do you think it is natural to have the majority of your anchor texts match your top keywords? This would only be possible if your main keyword is your domain name.

Google mentioned they are going after over-optimization. I did not bookmark the original source......Do you think it is natural to have the majority of your anchor texts match your top keywords?
    I can help with the source for the over optimization issue, it came from an audio recording of an answer given by Matt Cutts during a discussion, both the recording and a transcript of it can be found here:
    http://searchengineland.com/too-much...or-that-115627
    Incidentally it hasn't been a topic of discussion for a couple of months, it was only published last month.

Yes this has led to much speculation but nowhere have I seen anyone else reach the same conclusions from it that you have regarding anchor text. But now you are saying that this is actually based on your findings regarding one client you are dealing with. However, in this latest posting you are also now saying that this client has received a warning because links have been built using just one keyword as anchor text.
    It isn't a new concept to use varied anchor text to avoid links appearing unnatural, but in any case that isn't what you said in your original posting.
    You said "Too many keyword anchors will now be considered "unnatural" and devalued by Google" and that is not only something entirely different (because you make no mention of using just one keyword), but something you are unable to substantiate.

You are separating the "unnatural links" issue from over-optimization. It is the same thing. Having unnatural links (i.e. too many keywords as your anchors) IS over-optimizing.

You are over-analyzing these topics. Quite simply, having varied anchor text always helped, but Google is being much more aggressive about sniffing out the sites that have unnatural anchor text. It is very obvious that this is part of their plan to devalue over-optimization.

Just because Matt mentioned "over-optimization" last month does not mean Google was already looking at over-optimization of anchor text for the past several months.

These are not just my findings. Do searches for unnatural links and you will see that this year Google IS focusing more on this issue.

I don't have time to argue this subject with you. This subject is being talked about everywhere and many seo's are finding the same thing I am.

Quote Originally Posted by ozsubasi View Post
    I can help with the source for the over optimization issue, it came from an audio recording of an answer given by Matt Cutts during a discussion, both the recording and a transcript of it can be found here:
    http://searchengineland.com/too-much...or-that-115627
    Incidentally it hasn't been a topic of discussion for a couple of months, it was only published last month.

Yes this has led to much speculation but nowhere have I seen anyone else reach the same conclusions from it that you have regarding anchor text. But now you are saying that this is actually based on your findings regarding one client you are dealing with. However, in this latest posting you are also now saying that this client has received a warning because links have been built using just one keyword as anchor text.
    It isn't a new concept to use varied anchor text to avoid links appearing unnatural, but in any case that isn't what you said in your original posting.
    You said "Too many keyword anchors will now be considered "unnatural" and devalued by Google" and that is not only something entirely different (because you make no mention of using just one keyword), but something you are unable to substantiate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean101 View Post
    I am currently trying to better the SEO for my website.
    I used the keyword tool on google adwords to find keywords/phrases that are relevant to my website. After searching several "Exact" keywords relevant to my website, i choose 10 keywords with alot of monthly searches, but not too much as im starting out & i think it will be slightly easier to get better rank in the less used keywords. I also checked the competition on each keyword/phrase & went for low - med competition. I then added these keywords into my website/webpage <head> & then started to build article, blog, forum & web-directory back-links to my website using the keywords/phrases i choose as the anchor text in the backlinks.

This is as much as i have done so far regarding keyword targeting.
    Is there anything about what iv done that you would consider wrong?
    Is there anything else that i should do to improve what iv done already?
    Is there something that im not doing in regards to keyword targeting that i should be doing to help improve my results in the top search engines?

Please comment on this thread with your thoughts as im quite new to the SEO game & will appreciate any help, tips, information, etc.. given to me! Thanks!
    its been good to start with . you can also see trends or insight for keywords trends through recent years .

You are separating the "unnatural links" issue from over-optimization. It is the same thing. Having unnatural links (i.e. too many keywords as your anchors) IS over-optimizing.
    I am not separating the issues, I am questioning whether using varied keywords is a signal of unnatural linking.
    You are over-analyzing these topics. Quite simply, having varied anchor text always helped, but Google is being much more aggressive about sniffing out the sites that have unnatural anchor text. It is very obvious that this is part of their plan to devalue over-optimization.
    Nonsense, I am not over analyzing I have simply asked from the beginning that you provide some kind of tangible support for a statement you made. I believe that you are incorrect in your conclusions but would be happy to be shown that I am wrong or perhaps have misunderstood. Surely the purpose of discussing topics is to look at different views and the evidence to support them?
    Just because Matt mentioned "over-optimization" last month does not mean Google was already looking at over-optimization of anchor text for the past several months.
    I am sure that Google were looking at over-optimization long before the publication of the comments, my point was that the real discussion didn't start until afterwards and that I haven't seen mention of the use of varied anchor text being touted anywhere as being a signal Google were focusing on. The use of exact match anchor text yes, but not variations of it.
    These are not just my findings. Do searches for unnatural links and you will see that this year Google IS focusing more on this issue.
    I don't need to, I know that unnatural links are being discussed.
    I don't have time to argue this subject with you. This subject is being talked about everywhere and many seo's are finding the same thing I am.
    That's fine, I agree that further discussion is pointless.

I have 30 different keywords that I use as anchor text, currently 19 of them appear on page 1 of a Google search and I haven't (as yet) received a unnatural link warning from Google.

You can try Market Samurai tools
    MultipleCloud - Multiple location hosting provider
    200+ worldwide location | different server | different ip owner | best for pbn
    BigfootComputing - Dedicated A/B/C class ip
    100% no bad neighborhood | private name servers