Free windows hosting - How to Protect from spammer?

Hi,
    I want to provide free windows hosting so I can encourage peoples to use windows hosting for ASP,etc.

We've a VPS, license,etc..
    - VPS
    - Windows 2008 License
    - Enkompass or other panel?

How can we protect our free hosting from spammers? How to disable mail program in Enkompass?
    I was born Intelligent but Education ruined me

Free Windows hosting is actually something I have like never seen before, not saying it hasn't been done, but thats interesting. Free hosting from spammers? Its going to be hard, but you can manually review and stuff, before the account is setup.

Hello,

You could monitor the SMTP port and if you detect abnormal traffic to disable such accounts.

Regards
    http://www.windowshostingasp.net/ - Windows Web hosting information and resources.

Free Windows hosting was done in the days of IIS5 (Windows 2000).
    EIG bought out most of them and converted them to pay-only hosting.

Most of them used to just disable mail.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

You can setup the SMTP server such that it requires authentication before the email is relayed. Moreover, you can also limit the amount of emails that go out in a single batch and the time duration of the retry. Mostly Spammers send out huge volumes and configuring the SMTP with the right values would prevent it from building up huge queues and unauthorised relay.

You can also disallow connections to the SMTP from known spam-heavy countries (India, China, Russia, some eastern bloc, Korea, Vietnam, AfriNIC, etc). It's your service -- block whatever you want.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Or invest into some spam protection hardware/software - like ironports or McAfee (which offers protection for both internal and external sources)

Are you afraid of people using your mail server for spam, or people using a socket to connect to remote SMTP servers?

Personaly I would suggest.
    Block TCP Port 23, so you avoid people sending mails directly.
    Then setup a local mail server, port: xxxx (Something random not 23) and then limit how many mails a day each site can send, by forcing them to use a username & password to identity each website.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisd View Post
    Are you afraid of people using your mail server for spam, or people using a socket to connect to remote SMTP servers?

Personaly I would suggest.
    Block TCP Port 23, so you avoid people sending mails directly.
    Then setup a local mail server, port: xxxx (Something random not 23) and then limit how many mails a day each site can send, by forcing them to use a username & password to identity each website.
    First, The SMTP port is 25. Second, if you block it, you will never be able to receive mail either.
    Frank Laszlo - Developer
    Franksworld Solutions, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLaszlo View Post
    First, The SMTP port is 25. Second, if you block it, you will never be able to receive mail either.
    Yes and your point is ? Nisd meant to block port 23 (telnet) because it can be used to send mails if you have knowledge on how the "raw" email protocols work besides what you say is not true i can block port 25 and still receive mail...

Quote Originally Posted by cpanellover View Post
    Yes and your point is ? Nisd meant to block port 23 (telnet) because it can be used to send mails if you have knowledge on how the "raw" email protocols work besides what you say is not true i can block port 25 and still receive mail...
    Incorrect. The telnet "client" can be used to send raw SMTP commands, but you still need to connect to port 25. Port 23 is used for the telnet "server" which is rarely used anymore (and rightfully so).

You are also incorrect in stating that blocking port 25 will not block incoming emails as well. Email servers use the SMTP protocol to communicate with each other. If you block this port, you will not receive emails. You will still be able to check using IMAP/POP3, but no new emails will come in unless they are sent from another account on the same server, and as such, would not not need to use the SMTP protocol to transmit the message.
    Last edited by FrankLaszlo; 04-02-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    Frank Laszlo - Developer
    Franksworld Solutions, LLC

Sorry true, the port is 25, and it is just outgoing you need to block it. You can still allow it ingoing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLaszlo View Post
    Incorrect. The telnet "client" can be used to send raw SMTP commands, but you still need to connect to port 25. Port 23 is used for the telnet "server" which is rarely used anymore (and rightfully so).

You are also incorrect in stating that blocking port 25 will not block incoming emails as well. Email servers use the SMTP protocol to communicate with each other. If you block this port, you will not receive emails. You will still be able to check using IMAP/POP3, but no new emails will come in unless they are sent from another account on the same server, and as such, would not not need to use the SMTP protocol to transmit the message.
    if that is what you believe so be it slight detail you are wrong ....

"</unsubscribe>"

Quote Originally Posted by LowVM View Post
    Hi,
    I want to provide free windows hosting so I can encourage peoples to use windows hosting for ASP,etc.

We've a VPS, license,etc..
    - VPS
    - Windows 2008 License
    - Enkompass or other panel?

How can we protect our free hosting from spammers? How to disable mail program in Enkompass?
    not sure what email program you will be using, but with postfix I add all the strict protocol of helo, fqdn, and all that other stuff...and implement a 60 second greylist of all incoming mail and I went from 100s of spam about 6 a day.
    adding a spamassassin type program deleting high ranking spam.

on a newer email address this should be very limiting for spam.

not sure if you would use these on a windows setup, but it gives you a clue of what works.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisd View Post
    Sorry true, the port is 25, and it is just outgoing you need to block it. You can still allow it ingoing.
    you do not need any ports open to send mail out of your server. however mail on the internet sends out helo and mail to port 25, block that an you will not get any internet email..ever.

intranet mail can be made to listen to other ports though.

I think LowVM is talking about customers that could use the VPS for spamming purpose from the inside.

In this case there's no much to do except setting Recipient Limits on IIS Smtp or allow smtp via authentication only that will help you to keep track of any possible spammer.
    Dade2 • Premium Cloud Provider • Infrastructure as a Service
    Managed Cloud • Managed Kubernetes • Partner Program

I think you should disable the email service because of the free.

:- If you are looking for spamming solutions, then please check your mail server’s configurations and find out the grey listing of the domains, and regularly check their smtp outgoing IP’s in the blacklisting check, even if single BL checker block your smtp outgoing IP then immediately remove them, if you are running with smarter mail or any other mail server then please check your spam bots.
    I hope this will solve your query. Post me back if you need any further help.
    RackNap
    Business Automation Platform for Web Hosting and Cloud Solution Providers