Open-E - Has Anybody Used It

I'm looking at building a storage server with Open-E and was wondering if anybody had used it and had general opinions?

Everything looks pretty neat and seems to be exactly what we're looking for. Will install the trial version once the new server is ordered in a couple weeks.

http://www.open-e.com/products/open-...e-v6/features/

Never heard or used it but look forward to hearing back from you about it
    Currently hosting with SolidShellSecurity.com && awknet.com
    -- I give them both 10/10 ratings for support, uptime, fast servers, security and quality services =)
    I do freelance programming, server management, and web design work. =)

Open-E is a very good product. Talk to Todd to get more information about it. If you set things up properly it is very reliable and you can get good speed off of it. A lot have moved to Nexenta now, but the price is a lot different than Open-E.

I think its a good product, I considered for use as well, looks good in features, price and support. Never heart to serious complaints about it, but then again I never heart serious claims that its great either, so I really would also like to love some feedback.

I did read here on WHT once, that vps.net was down all the time because of storage problems and they blamed it on Open-e software. Not sure if that story is true but they said they where changing to another back end. When I say I donīt know if its true, is because down times and outages continues on vps.net for years after I read that, so I cannot verify if indeed it was an open-e software issue or they just made up an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    I think its a good product, I considered for use as well, looks good in features, price and support. Never heart to serious complaints about it, but then again I never heart serious claims that its great either, so I really would also like to love some feedback.

I did read here on WHT once, that vps.net was down all the time because of storage problems and they blamed it on Open-e software. Not sure if that story is true but they said they where changing to another back end. When I say I donīt know if its true, is because down times and outages continues on vps.net for years after I read that, so I cannot verify if indeed it was an open-e software issue or they just made up an excuse.
    The software provider also had said that vps.net signed up for a trial and never renewed it so they canceled they blocked them from the licensing software causing the downtime. That thread magically disappeared

Open-e has just about the best pricing possible if you don't want to manage everything yourself (Some company's pricing will be similarly priced though if you are getting many TB commits but still not comparable to the unlimited license if it has all the features you need already). I believe it has more support than similar solutions so if something breaks you aren't completely alone in the issue and within a reasonable time frame.

Hi Sajan - This is Todd from Open-E and if I can assist you on your setup send me your details or contact me from the USA number on our site in the about us and contact section. If you do not reach me tell one of the engineers that I recommended you to call.

Also thanks to many of you who have been very supportive on the attacks that vps.net did against us which is totally not true what they stated. Techjr was correct when he stated that they did not renew on a free trial version and thus the reason it was offline. It was out of our hands but they had to blast us for something that was not our fault. I can tell you I did an internal investigation on this and it really hurt our engineers when we work hard to provide the best support and product.

Anyway many thanks to all of your support guys and if I can be of assistance me and the support team will be here to help you.

We use open-e in our shop, and have never had any issues that could not be resolved. Pricing is spot on, and support is within minutes typically.
    I would say, give it a try.
    We did, as the trial is a full version free for 60 days.... our testing had awesome results, and we moved quick to a licensed version.

And to add about the rumors... we heard them too, but could not find any issue like VPS.net was claiming. We assumed blame was just being projected, and went forward. The systems work as advertised for us.

Thanks for the reply everybody. Todd, I will contact you on Skype in a couple weeks. Our hardware has not even been ordered yet.

However, more and more people I talk to...Open-E seems like a solid option. Pretty excited.

Sanjan,

Whats the hardware config? Also will you be using the iSCSI Auto Failover?

And or ping me when you want on skype.

Im also interested in Open-E for a small setup and if it works out I would roll it out it as main setup for storage.

Does this include some type of support? If you go with commercial software I expect it to at least have basic support.

Also, I read somewhere besides the vps.net issue that if the licenses cannnot be checked the server cannot be used. Now I want to know if this is correct or not, because it means if their license servers has problem or your server has an outage it could not verify the license and not being able to use because of that, even if you have a valid license its a single point of failure.

Their reply here gives me a good vibe. Never saw them before on WHT.

When we bought our license it comes with one year free support at basic level, and can be upgraded if you want. We stayed at Basic, as email support is fine with us. Response time is real fast, even though they have 24hr window on Basic.
    Our servers are on private vlan without internet access and we do not have any problems with the license or the hardware activation.
    The license is a alpha-numeric key we entered, rebooted, and it sets our storage limit. The hardware activation can be done via email from your PC, and is not an issue for us either.

We used a lot of the how-to's also, was a huge help in getting things set up for us.
    I think we had the servers up and running in HA failover in under an hour.

nibb,

Polystigma is correct on what he stated.

The DSS V6 comes with 1 yr free Standard support to receive phone or email support as many times as you wish. Also we offer other types of support packages like 24x7 as well but this is rarely utilized as many are hardware related that we have seen.

Once you have placed the product key and reboot your system then you have 30 days to activate the server either Offline or Online. The Online is like what Ploystigma stated, just send us the Hardware stamp from the GUI email address provided and we will provide the key within a few hours or less, the Online activation is faster and we have several servers worldwide so if there is an outage then there is a backup, you will need port 10444 and access to the internet. For our military and lockdown sites most will do the Offline activation as they can't be online. Please note that if you have restricted Internet access set up for this server on your firewall or router you will need to allow TCP connections to activation-key.com. Then open outgoing port 25 or 10444 for this domain to continue with the activation process.

The Trial version of the DSS V6 allows you 60 days to test and if you past the 60 day mark you still are able to use it, though it will throttle down to 100MB speeds to allow you access, or you can email us and ask for more time as we know many still need more testing time and we know this and have no problem extending this. Keep in mind most of us at OE are engineers so we understand. And if you want another 60 days just delete the volume from the Console screen. So in the end there are no restrictions on using the DSS V6.

Hope this helps.

Oh and thx to Polystigma!!

Todd

Thank you Open-e.
    We searched high and low for SAN/NAS software when we made the move to remote storage, and nothing came close for the money. Our ROI was very fast, and the systems are rock solid. We are very pleased with our purchase, cant thank you enough!

OK that sounds nice. When you mean hardware problems, you mean like incompatibility with Open-E or real hardware problems like drives failing, etc?

I ask this because actually software problems are more common this days. Will Open-E work fine on standard hardware or its picky on what it will run in terms of performance and load?

We tried it, can't recall why we decided to ditch it. I think the trial doesn't support block level, only file based storage repository. Honestly cannot recall.

Now happy with QuantaStor.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteTech View Post
    We tried it, can't recall why we decided to ditch it. I think the trial doesn't support block level, only file based storage repository. Honestly cannot recall.

Now happy with QuantaStor.
    We are using block level iSCSI, with no issues.
    Best part we found was we can tweak settings per target, and initiator for our needs with vmware.

Thats is right, NFS is file level and iSCSI is actually block level. They probably did not offered iSCSI support with their trial. But the minute you offer iSCSI storage is has to be block level as far as I know.

The reason I did not went with Open-E some years ago was because they did not supported XenServer and when someone asked that in their forums their reply was that they may neversupport for it because of some problems. I remember that, but I think that changed and today they fully support Citrix XenServer because then I read on a press release they where Citrix Verified.

So they changed their mind.

Thats is right, NFS is file level and iSCSI is actually block level. They probably did not offered iSCSI support with their trial. But the minute you offer iSCSI storage is has to be block level as far as I know.
    Thats not true. Microsoft still uses file storage repository for iSCSI.

When creating new LUNs in Open-E we do have the choice to do blockIO, or FileIO ... we picked block.
    But iSCSI is a block level device. I won't venture to guess what MS is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteTech View Post
    Thats not true. Microsoft still uses file storage repository for iSCSI.
    What Microsoft does is one things but that doesn't deny the fact that iSCSI is a block level technology, not file level.

If you want file level you would go with NSF, or CIFS.

Also not sure where you got that info. I never used Microsoft iSCSI initiator but as far as I know it would still be block level if its iSCSI.
    Last edited by nibb; 03-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.

We've used Open-e. It's stable. It works. It's easy. It's not fast. That said, we have clients using Open-e very successfully.

Fast is Nexenta. Pricing for entry level is comparable. When you want HA, Open-e is cheaper. But again, Nexenta is far faster. It's really no contest when it comes to speed. Reliability with Nexenta has so far been good.

Of course, even cheaper would be to roll your own ZFS san.
    Fully Managed Fast Hosting
    Litespeed, SSD's, Great Support
    Vancouver, BC, Canada and Marietta, GA, USA
    ezp.net

Quote Originally Posted by lostmind View Post
    We've used Open-e. It's stable. It works. It's easy. It's not fast. That said, we have clients using Open-e very successfully.

Fast is Nexenta. Pricing for entry level is comparable. When you want HA, Open-e is cheaper. But again, Nexenta is far faster. It's really no contest when it comes to speed. Reliability with Nexenta has so far been good.

Of course, even cheaper would be to roll your own ZFS san.
    Thanks for the feedback. When you mention its not fast is the difference really noticeable? Did you tested it on the same hardware?

There is a review of them in Toms hardware vs DataCore and it doesn't achieve the same performance but for the price its pretty good, I mean DataCore costs a small fortune.

I have to look into Nexenta as well but Open-E seems nice for small business or small setups. Of course if you need to scale bigger in the future, that would not fix performance or speed issues either once you deployed a solution its pretty much the same except features.

We use Open-E ISCSI with Xenserver and like it alot. Recommend anyone starting a SAN to use newer LSI disk controllers and CacheCade 2.0 software with SSD's which really speeds things up.

Download the Open-E DSS trial to a USB stick and use that to boot off of on a PC to check it out. Very easy to test for 2 whole months which is great.

The Disk On Modules are better than the USB sticks. They are designed for long life where the USB sticks have limited life.

Quote Originally Posted by kris1351 View Post
    The Disk On Modules are better than the USB sticks. They are designed for long life where the USB sticks have limited life.
    I Agree. But for testing to see if you even want to go that route a USB is quick and easy. Not sure if any of the other low cost SAN products out there like Nexenta or OpenFiler will even fit on a USB.

Thanks for the feedback. When you mention its not fast is the difference really noticeable? Did you tested it on the same hardware?

There is a review of them in Toms hardware vs DataCore and it doesn't achieve the same performance but for the price its pretty good, I mean DataCore costs a small fortune.

I have to look into Nexenta as well but Open-E seems nice for small business or small setups. Of course if you need to scale bigger in the future, that would not fix performance or speed issues either once you deployed a solution its pretty much the same except features.
    When I say faster, I mean faster. Once the cache is hit in Nexenta/ZFS, the speed is incredible. When hitting the raw storage, it's still just as fast as Open-e.

Datacore... I could never actually GET pricing out of them. That disqualified them in my mind. And the lady who runs that company still calls me once in a while trying to sell her product to me. But won't give me pricing. It's a strange world!
    ezp.net

Quote Originally Posted by WebGuyz View Post
    We use Open-E ISCSI with Xenserver and like it alot. Recommend anyone starting a SAN to use newer LSI disk controllers and CacheCade 2.0 software with SSD's which really speeds things up.
    Odd, I've had no luck actually showing any performance gains with the cachecade 2.0 software. It's like I can't get the cache to actually cache.
    ezp.net

take a look at http://www.drbd.org/