* FDC server (1gbps) dedicated ?? true ??

https://www.fdcservers.net/order-1.php?plan_id=406

1Gbps unmetered
    Six Core AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban
    16GB RAM
    1x 2TB HDD + 3x 3TB HDD

1. I'm looking at this special fdcservers is offering 1gbps shared port, and wondering if the server is actually capable of reaching anything close to a full 1gbps speed ?? (even 50% of the speed is still a good deal)

2. I also wanted to know if the hardware could allow you to reach close to the 1gbps (or 500mbps, etc.) since the hard drives 5400rpm ??

3. Fdcservers also offers 3ware raid controllers ?? would this increase the chances of reaching the speed ??

Which location (out of the 3 they offer) are you considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert vd Boorn View Post
    Which location (out of the 3 they offer) are you considering?

Denver, or Chicago. Either one

Speedtests from a gbit port showed Zlin > Denver > Chicago for me (82MBps, 39MBps and only 8MBps), that's with 20 threads to Europe.

Search the forums about this hosting company.

I'm located in the United States, I'm assuming that the results from the speed test will differ based on location (Chicago and Denver) will ping faster for me, than Zlin

Thanks for the info, I have a 100mbps connection that's shared on an dual atom server located in Chicago, When i download a 1gb file i'm getting around 20-60mbps speed depending on the time,

If i get anything near this (20-50%) of the 1gbps i think it's still not a bad deal, considering that the hardware is 10tb of disk space, and a 6 core system

I guess i'm really wondering if i can actually reach the speed with the hardware setup and the fact that it's a shared port

Quote Originally Posted by godrew85 View Post
    it's a shared port
    That should be your hint

It's a shared port, which means you could be the only server on it (Very Short Term), or it could be a whole rack (Or several) full of servers (I.E. 30+ Servers) using the same shared port.

Keep in mind that when FDC says "1 Gbps unmetered", what they actually mean is "if you use more than 100-150 Mbps on a continuous basis we'll cut you off".

I'm located in the United States, I'm assuming that the results from the speed test will differ based on location (Chicago and Denver) will ping faster for me, than Zlin
    Due to using multiple threads I pretty much eliminated the location differences and simply got the actual available throughput. Chicago just seems to barely manage 80 mbit.

https://www.fdcservers.net/order-1.php?plan_id=406

1Gbps unmetered
    Six Core AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban
    16GB RAM
    1x 2TB HDD + 3x 3TB HDD

1. I'm looking at this special fdcservers is offering 1gbps shared port, and wondering if the server is actually capable of reaching anything close to a full 1gbps speed ?? (even 50% of the speed is still a good deal)

2. I also wanted to know if the hardware could allow you to reach close to the 1gbps (or 500mbps, etc.) since the hard drives 5400rpm ??

3. Fdcservers also offers 3ware raid controllers ?? would this increase the chances of reaching the speed ??

I did talk with a sales rep, there offering 1gbps unshared unmetered for $749 per month, This is actually more realistic for the price ($.75 per mbps) but with the hardware specs of the serve can the server actually handle a full 1gbps connection 24/7

What's the kind of content you'd be serving?

flv, rar, jpg, etc it's a cloud hosting site, were currently almost maxed out with our current host and paying too much for 100mbps

In that case I think you'd be looking at SAS drives in a RAID setup at the very least. Normal drives, especially 5.4K RPM ones, won't cut it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert vd Boorn View Post
    In that case I think you'd be looking at SAS drives in a RAID setup at the very least. Normal drives, especially 5.4K RPM ones, won't cut it there.
    Technically he's looking at this new offer from FDC, which means his current offer uses SATA's (7.2k?) - if so he probably doesn't need to use SAS if his current drives are doing fine since the new drives may be slower (5.2k) but probably have more storage and in a raid set up this would make up for the difference. (I'm guessing).

But, you could install Munin or similar software and find out the I/O load.

flv, rar, jpg, etc it's a cloud hosting site, were currently almost maxed out with our current host and paying too much for 100mbps
    Problem is that 100mbps is only 12.5MBps. 125MBps on those drives? I don't see it happening. Add that these are mostly smaller files (flv, rar, jpg) in the sub-50 range, meaning a lot of searching on the disk. I really don't see that working at the speed of > 200mbit without a SAS or SSD setup. The limit used to be the port, now that should become the harddrive setup.

Hello,

Btw, FDC offers not only the shared ports, but also dedicated. Which are more expensive. Contact them if you need a dedicated port.

Thanks,