Which hosting should I go for?

Hi All,
    I asked this question in the Hosting topic and was told probably Dedicated, so asking the same question here too please.

I have the following requirement:
    - hosting of my website
    - hosting a demo version of my product
    - hosting service for clients of my product.

I need Windows 2008, Sql Server 2008 (express for the website+demo and standard for clients I think) with MVC3 support, in the EU. I have spoken to a few hosting providers and have got conflicting views. Some say I shouldn't go VPS but shared, some say definitely VPS and some say go for dedicated. I am confused now! So I thought I'd ask here. Which hosting service should I go for? Cloud-Shared, VPS or Dedicated? Please help.

Thanks

That's hard (impossible) to say without knowing the resource usage of your applications.

Probably VPS or dedicated? many providers can offer
    Affordable custom Single/DUAL CPU servers EU | Configure
    Linux, Windows VPS in LT/UK/NL/USA | Get one now

How many clients do you have?

sounds like a basic application for a dedicated server IMHO
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - Colocation, Miner Hosting, Dedicated and Cloud Hosting Quotes

In facts, your requirement can fit in dedicated, vps or even shared hosting environment.

However, it's all about controlness. There are a lot of things hardly control in shared environment. If your budget is over $40 USD per month, I would suggest you go for a VPS with at least 4GB memory.

I would suggest dedicated or VPS over a shared account. Of course this will cost more money. So it all depends how much you're looking to spend and what kind of specs you want.

Thanks a lot.

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I didn't get any notification of replies from WHT for some reason.

My budget is around 50 GBP. I was told by one of agents at a hosting provider that a VPS may not be able to provide good performance. Especially since I am using Windows server with Sql Server database. Is that true?

No not really - you may not feel a difference between a good VPS and a dedicated server; it depends on the provider. The only thing is that Windows VPS are a little more uncommon than Windows dedicated servers. However I'm sure whatever you go for it'll work fine.
    If you are unsure I would recommend you start with a VPS and see how it goes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by cpat View Post
    Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I didn't get any notification of replies from WHT for some reason.

My budget is around 50 GBP. I was told by one of agents at a hosting provider that a VPS may not be able to provide good performance. Especially since I am using Windows server with Sql Server database. Is that true?
    Could you elaborate on the type of application you will run? Because without those information we cannot actually help you out.

HI, As I mentioned in my OP, the application is based on ASP.NET 4 C#, MVC3, with Sql Server 2008.

Having a budget of 50 pounds only does not give you many choices. You'd better find a decent VPS which would allow you to run Windows. My advise to you is to forget about a dedicated server if you are not ready to pay 120 + per month.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

I would go shop around in the dedicated offerings section many providers can come up with solutions that will fit your needs and also get you in for a good price. What I would do is contact some hosting companies and explain your situation and let them know they should be able to help you out! Good Luck.

I think you should evaluate your resource consumption as much as possible. In terms of traffic alone, shared hosting plans can quickly become insufficient. In terms of setting up your applications, you will have to rely on the provider's support to enable/disable options, and it's not a given that they will even accept to do so, so choose carefully.
    At the other end, a dedicated server will cost you/your client more, but you will of course have full control on your settings.
    In terms of performance, like others have pointed out, a VPS won't necessarily seem or act any different than a dedicated server, but will cost you much less.
    Finally, if location doesn't matter (and it most likely doesn't if you're not doing any gaming or ping sensitive processing), you will find very good setups outside of the UK, at a lower cost.
    Hope that helps!