Thread: Squid vs Nginx

Squid vs Nginx

I wanted to know the caching features Nginx support. Does Nginx has the same rich features of squid.
    I am trying to select a reverse proxy server for my project.
    So I decided to use either of the two.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

nginx is used for web server and squid is used for proxy server . you cant compare both of them .
    you can use nginx with apache as a reverse proxy . you can cache static/dynamic contents using Nginx as reverse proxy cache .
    Last edited by host4offshore; 03-13-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Squid vs Nginx

Thanks for the reply.

As read through the Squid documentation, we can configure Squid as a reverse proxy cache.

My actual requirement is a Reverse proxy server with caching facility.

Actually I am thinking of building my own CDN and thought of using either of the two, but could not decide which one to use.

Thanks.

It's not a good way to compare the two, but either way both are very solid and used by many. You'd have to play a lot around with tweaking the settings however.

Good luck!
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

cant they both be used as a reverse proxy? or is that nginx and varnish?
    Currently hosting with SolidShellSecurity.com && awknet.com
    -- I give them both 10/10 ratings for support, uptime, fast servers, security and quality services =)
    I do freelance programming, server management, and web design work. =)

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_raul View Post
    Actually I am thinking of building my own CDN and thought of using either of the two, but could not decide which one to use.
    Squid has more features and scales better, but Nginx is faster in simple cases. If you're just running a single site without any complex requirements, you'll probably be better off with Nginx. However, for multiple sites, things like the lack of pipelining in Nginx will hurt you, so Squid would be the better choice in that case. You may also want to consider Varnish for a reverse proxy cacher, but you won't be able to do HTTPS.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    Squid has more features and scales better, but Nginx is faster in simple cases.
    Thanks for your wonderful reply. I think I have to think between the rich features of Squid and good performance of Nginx.

What exactly specific features of squid do you need? As reverse proxy nginx is probably the best solution nowadays.
    Supportex.Net server management, full range of services. EU-based outsourced company. Since 1998.
    Outstanding quality for high performance projects; clustering and high-availability solutions, DDoS protection.
    Cisco/Juniper network management & deployment assistance. Network design and monitoring.

Squid vs Nginx

Apart from the reverse proxy ability, I am looking for a good caching support and wanted to have inter proxy communication in a farm of cluster of server at one location.