Trying to understand bandwidth

i'm trying to learn all about webhosting, including things like how bandwidth exactly works.

so let's do a basic example.

say i have 3gb of bandwidth from a webhost. and i have a 1mb file uploaded. if 3000 people download this 1mb file, i wouldn't have anymore bandwidth, is that right?

The real life situation is a little different (due to how the HTTP protocol works), but that's fairly accurate yes.

http://www.tizag.com/webhost/bandwidth.php & http://findwebhosting.com/bandwidth-explained/

You pretty much have the definition down pretty good, in addition to what Robert said, It's not going to be just that though either. People who come to your site and load your page use bandwidth as well.. Granted, it's a small amount, but when you have hundreds of visitors doing it every day.. it begins to add up. Lots of pictures, effect this, videos, flash , ect.

Cool

Remember what you UP-load is counted also. So if you upload another GB one month then there is 1 less GB for users to download.

However compared to disk space bandwidth is cheap so you shouldn't have a host where you need worry about bandwidth.
    As an example we have a Hollywood graphics designer a a customer. As lonng as his site is running normally he uses little bandwidth. But iff he gets a project where he is going to need to upload samples for his customer; make changes; upload again (and of course they download each change) so while completing the project he may need 10X his mormal bandwidth or more.
    Normally he e-mails us about thee upcoming need and we just add the bandwidth for a while at no charge. Now & then if the project takes a long time or a LOT of bandwidth (as hi-def video graphics do) then we may charge extra for the bandwidth; but it's not expensive.
    It's sometimes not that much but by the time he uploads several times and various people have to aprove the work soi there's multiple downloads it can get high. But normally the short increase in bandwidth is fine as long as it doesn't put us in an overselling situation. Then we may have to put the project on another server or such but bandwidth isn't much to worry about unless you need a lot and choose an unlimited plan. Unlimited plans always have "fine print" that defines the limits of unlimited (or they might just slow you way down).

An example would be a new forum which quickly became very popular. Depending on the forum (some use more than others) you could run into problems with "unlimited" faster than you would think. And aq forum is a good example.l The post or photo the users upload is counted as are the people who view it.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Some more details and distinctions/terminologies etc.. here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_(computing)
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...