* Would you suggest what I think?

I'm thinking of starting to sell hosting services online, not just locally.

I currently have a VPS with VPSLatch, for my main site and client's. And I resell some of Burst's products.

Should I get a 16GB Server, add SolusVM and migrate all to it? I would assign a VPS for myself and host shared/resellers there, while being able to sell VPSs.

I've been looking at FDCServers... $149/mo + $50 for RAID(1 time) for:

Six Core AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban
    16GB RAM
    2x1.5TB SATA Drives in RAID 1
    10mbps unmetered

I'm also wondering if I should keep VPSLatch's VPS(I have 55% discount)

What do you recommend? I'll be starting in June... so I have plenty of time to make decisions and setup everything just the way I need to

Thanks for sharing any opinion/recommendations
    █ Diego Rodríguez B. - https://diegorbaquero.com
    █ Software Engineer @ Protocol Labs | Filecoin Saturn

I wouldn't suggest the 10mbps unmetered part (for vps that is) the reason is that your vps users will saturate that port so fast and you will have global complaints.

I'd suggest switching to possibly monthly total transfer at least for VPS, possibly start off with 5TB or even 3TB on 100Mbps and scale up as needed, this way your end users do not face sluggishness.

Additionally IMHO why pay $50 for RAID-1? Just use software RAID-1 save your self the money, its not like your going to benefit from hardware RAID-1 in I/O terms, thats just my IMHO and personal experience, but if you can... try and talk FDC into giving you 4X 500GB SATA and then pay a onetime fee for hardware RAID and implement RAID-10 (which will give your end users much better I/O) and supply 1TB usable disk space.

Anyhow best of luck.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

Deroba,

As semo said above, I also can agree that you shouldn't limit your server to only 10mbps. With the internet growing at faster speeds for end users this day in age limiting your server to 10mbps will cause slowness.

As for should you consolidate? There is pro's and cons. However I would do it personally to

A. Combine/maybe save on costs
    B. More control of your own environment
    C. Consolidate your vps's
    | Manny Vivar - manny.v@hostdime.com| HostDime | Premier Global Data Centers
    | www.hostdime.com/global | Global Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Provider Since 2003
    | Managed Dedicated Servers | Global Colocation Facilities | Managed VPS | Managed Private Cloud
    | Data Centers in Florida, USA | Mexico | Brazil | UK | Hong Kong | India | Netherlands
    | Colombia |

Been working taxes over the last week and crunching numbers. I ran one scenario that I rented a server and over the same time period my total costs for a lease server were over 13000 and buying my own server and paying COLO costs was half that number, and that's before depreciation. Even with NBD support contracts for failed hardware. The only gotcha is that A have backups, B Have backups, and C have spare servers
    █ Total Server Solutions
    OnApp Cloud Solutions, CDN, DNS, Load Balancers, and Hybrid Dedicated Servers
    █ Colocation with Colo@
    Visit us at http://www.totalserversolutions.com/

Colo is not yet an option for me.

Manny @ HostDime sent me an exceptional offer, and hopefully I can continue being their client for much longer than this year+.

I'll like more considerations of hosting gurus.

Thank you for the responses so far

I've been searching and there are 8GB RAM servers for $90 around, worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Deroba View Post
    I've been searching and there are 8GB RAM servers for $90 around, worth it?
    Can you tell us the name of that company?

Although some users find unmetered 10mbps appealing, realistically the cap on a 10mbps port is under 3,300GB/month. The only advantage I see with this option is to avoid bandwidth overages - even with a DDoS attack, the port itself can never allow more bandwidth than the physical capacity.

Practically speaking, many server providers offer 4,000gb+ monthly on a 100mbps at reasonable rates. I've seen quite a few providers offering unmetered 10mbps at a higher price than 100mbps with a higher limit.

Quote Originally Posted by semoweb View Post
    Additionally IMHO why pay $50 for RAID-1? Just use software RAID-1 save your self the money, its not like your going to benefit from hardware RAID-1 in I/O terms, thats just my IMHO and personal experience, but if you can... try and talk FDC into giving you 4X 500GB SATA and then pay a onetime fee for hardware RAID and implement RAID-10 (which will give your end users much better I/O) and supply 1TB usable disk space.

Anyhow best of luck.

I agree with this.

You will only use Hardware Raid if you are going for Raid10 so you can use the write cache feature of the raid. Make sure it has BBU.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I'll be definitely using 100mbps+

About eh $90 8GB servers. I saw an offer from OneNetwork and Infinitie