Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Why not build your own server?

The bit I do not understand about all this I was looking at intel I7 servers.The amount of money they charge for the server in 9 months I could save up the money build my own server. install linux on it and cpanel and pay a tech to the rest.Why do people not do this is it because my internet connection at home would not be able to deal with all the traffic thought the server? Why do people not do this.pc's are easy to build.I guess there is a good reason.

That depends. all though building a server is easy it has many factors. I can build me a new PC for under $300 bucks using a core i5 4GB of ram decent videocard. But doing that I'm using hardware that is not tested to work with each other all though they do work, but in long term the system just might failed simply due to not a thorough test.

Another reason
    What if you build a server put it into a data center and boom that 500 dollar CPU failed and you don't have the money to replace it. Big host have the money and spare parts at the data center just incase this happens.

I'm sure there are more reasons but IMO its not worth building a server and colocating it into a datacenter until you can atleast afford a quarter rack.

Connection, power, redundancy, UPS back-up, quality of the network, personally I sleep and am not at home during the day (can't fix stuff apart from 5 hours a day), hardware replacements are free with a dedicated server, multiple IPs, yadi yadi yada?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert vd Boorn View Post
    Connection, power, redundancy, UPS back-up, quality of the network, personally I sleep and am not at home during the day (can't fix stuff apart from 5 hours a day), hardware replacements are free with a dedicated server, multiple IPs, yadi yadi yada?
    I hear what your saying if something goes wrong they have to fix it and your paying for techs and a good network

If you're asking why not to run webhosting from your house on your broadband connection, you shouldn't be running a host.

Quote Originally Posted by n!ghtmare View Post
    If you're asking why not to run webhosting from your house on your broadband connection, you shouldn't be running a host.
    I agree with you 100%I am now going to close my hosting company down.Just on your say so!!!

I have done some local colo in the past, it's one of those providing everything works its much cheaper, but if a drive fails you pay for it and if you cant get there you pay a tech in the data centre $75 an hour who takes 2 hours and so on, 1 failure could end up costing you as much had you leased the whole lot.

And besides, who you going to shout at and demand compensation from if your drives fails

Quote Originally Posted by wisenerl View Post
    I have done some local colo in the past, it's one of those providing everything works its much cheaper, but if a drive fails you pay for it and if you cant get there you pay a tech in the data centre $75 an hour who takes 2 hours and so on, 1 failure could end up costing you as much had you leased the whole lot.

And besides, who you going to shout at and demand compensation from if your drives fails
    Is that not what public labillty is for? So is this not were raid come in handy I know how to set up raid?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjapanther-Greg View Post
    I agree with you 100%I am now going to close my hosting company down.Just on your say so!!!
    You probably should if you're homehosting. Does your house have redundant power supplies, multiple entry points for fibres, fire prevention equipment and 24x7 security staff?

No. And I presume you like sleeping. Seen as servers sound like jet engines, I would imagine you have a nice time sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    You probably should if you're homehosting. Does your house have redundant power supplies, multiple entry points for fibres, fire prevention equipment and 24x7 security staff?

No. And I presume you like sleeping. Seen as servers sound like jet engines, I would imagine you have a nice time sleeping.
    I was just asking it was only a question I host with wiredtree and I am very happy with them.
    Last edited by Ninjapanther Hosting; 03-12-2012 at 04:57 PM.

I was just asking it was only a question I host with wiredtree and I am very happy with them.
    Then to answer your question: Building your own server is fine. But colocate it. Home-hosting is a one-stop shop for failure.

No that's not what public liability is for at all....

Building your server is totally fine though as long as you either ship it with a spare part for everything and are prepared to pay for remote hands when needed.

If you just build a server and ship it with no spares then your motherboard dies you could be down for a week and loose any reputation you may have and most of the customers from that server.

Its a double edged sword, you could save allot of money in the long run and at the same time it could shut you down.

The exception to this is if you can get 24x7 access to a local DC under an hour away and you keep enough spare parts to hand to jump in your car and fix it yourself.
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

Quote Originally Posted by backtogeek View Post
    No that's not what public liability is for at all....

Building your server is totally fine though as long as you either ship it with a spare part for everything and are prepared to pay for remote hands when needed.

If you just build a server and ship it with no spares then your motherboard dies you could be down for a week and loose any reputation you may have and most of the customers from that server.

Its a double edged sword, you could save allot of money in the long run and at the same time it could shut you down.

The exception to this is if you can get 24x7 access to a local DC under an hour away and you keep enough spare parts to hand to jump in your car and fix it yourself.
    its a lot of effort and I work full time I think I will stick with renting from a good hosting company.

Common house hold dust and carpet fibers, etc will cause problems aswell

Simply put running a server in your house is a no goer, Although I do have some backup servers at mine but they dont run 24/7 and merely for making backups of backups normally on a monthly basis...

I suppose another reason people lease is cost; they may be able to afford xx a month but may not have the cash to pay xxx or xxxx even if it is just a one-off.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Common house hold dust and carpet fibers, etc will cause problems aswell

Simply put running a server in your house is a no goer, Although I do have some backup servers at mine but they dont run 24/7 and merely for making backups of backups normally on a monthly basis...
    Then its nothing like pc that keeps running with loads of dust in it.But they are made from the same parts power supply, motherboard, thermal paste, cpu, ram, case , bios why would they go wrong do you know how to build a pc? Because I do. I only asking I hope I am not being rude if I am I am sorry I don’t want you to take this the wrong way.
    Last edited by Ninjapanther Hosting; 03-12-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSS View Post
    I suppose another reason people lease is cost; they may be able to afford xx a month but may not have the cash to pay xxx or xxxx even if it is just a one-off.
    But for a i7 plus all parts I would say your not looking at more than £600 if your working is not a lot of money I guess.

I am not going to do it I was just wanted to know what poeple had to say on here and thanks for your advice its been a very interesting read.

^Yes, but your computer doesn't neccesicarly run 24/7 and is usually in a larger case, allowing it to run a bit cooler. Also alot of the custom PC's I've built for myself have filters on em' to keep the dust out.

Dust can clog up fans and heatsinks, and raise the temps. In a larger case (like a tower case) your computer can usually handle a bit more dust, compared to a smaller 1u or 2u server, plus servers typically run much hotter anyway, as they are under a constant load, whereas your typically PC doesn't have a high sustained load.

Also, a PC can run with a good amount of dust in it. Your either lucky, or there really isn't "loads" of dust in it. As most PC's with lots of dust in them don't run well, and I'm talking loads here.

As for building a server, go for it. Build it, and ship it in, or drive it in if you're close by.
    -Ryan K
    Quality Minecraft hosting at a price you can afford!
    Managed Dedicated and VPS hosting.
    evlbox.com

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy222 View Post
    ^Yes, but your computer doesn't neccesicarly run 24/7 and is usually in a larger case, allowing it to run a bit cooler. Also alot of the custom PC's I've built for myself have filters on em' to keep the dust out.

Dust can clog up fans and heatsinks, and raise the temps. In a larger case (like a tower case) your computer can usually handle a bit more dust, compared to a smaller 1u or 2u server, plus servers typically run much hotter anyway, as they are under a constant load, whereas your typically PC doesn't have a high sustained load.

Also, a PC can run with a good amount of dust in it. Your either lucky, or there really isn't "loads" of dust in it. As most PC's with lots of dust in them don't run well, and I'm talking loads here.

As for building a server, go for it. Build it, and ship it in, or drive it in if you're close by.
    I still know the answer to this one, you buy a raven tower that has filter on the case and a be quiet cpu cooling fan. The raven tower has 2 massive fans at the bottom, I am just saying I am not going to build one.It can be done but for all this kit your talking about £1000
    Last edited by Ninjapanther Hosting; 03-12-2012 at 05:46 PM.

I still know the answers to you buy a raven tower that has filter on the case and a be quiet cpu cooling fan. the raven tower has 2 massive fans at the bottom I am just saying I am not going to build one.
    Please use commas, it's very hard to read your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by n!ghtmare View Post
    Please use commas, it's very hard to read your posts.
    Thank you spell check

^Are you talking about the Raven RV01 case? I actually own that one for my current build. That thing is a beast, and easily costs $200 + A super micro mid-tower is much cheaper.
    -Ryan K
    Quality Minecraft hosting at a price you can afford!
    Managed Dedicated and VPS hosting.
    evlbox.com

I think there is a rvo2 case out now its the one were the motherborad sits up sidedown they weigh about 20KGS with all parts in them.

I'll be the odd man out here who's hosted some stuff from home off a business fiber connection before, but I will tell you that if you are going to do THAT or colo, building a server for either purpose is questionable. Here's why: parts and reliability.

Can you get any replacement part for that server you build the next day? What about years down the road? Will you be able to get a brand new and identical part for it?

If you are running anything important at all, an RMA sucks and there's no time for it. Motherboards can also be fickle about certain replacement hardware. With hardware RAID solutions, I think it's always best to stick with what the manufacturer recommends as well.

Either way, if something happens you can't wait - you need the part ASAP. Not to sound like a walking advertisement, but dell poweredge servers are great. I had a dell poweredge that was in service for 6 years and still kicking. I have 3 of them actually. It is no problem getting 100% compatible parts even years later.

They're extremely cheap too for what they do; I find they only try to kill you on the price of upgrades such as hard drives and memory, but you can go to 3rd party providers who will again, provide parts and service guaraunteed to work for your server model at 75% less of what dell costs.

You're just not going to get that level of service when you build it yourself; perhaps yes, you would do just fine, but it's not worth it. You won't really save any money, and even if you do, what's the cost of being cheap? Just buy a "real" server IMO and have more peace of mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast