Exclamation Windows 2008 DDoS Mitigation

Hello WHT, I really need your help.

I am currently a customer of LimeStoneNetworks. They offer me great hardware for an affordable price, with extremely fast and reliable support!

Now here is my issue. I currently own a nice Xenon box with them, with a 1Gbps uplink speed to host highly populated Gameservers. Unfortunately, due to our popularity, we are huge targets for DDoS attacks ranging from 400mbit/s -> 1-2Gbit/s.

LimeStoneNetwork does not offer any kinda of DDoS mitigation service, and the only thing they are able to do for me is put a filter on my server until the attack stops. Unfortunately, their filter blocks the GOOD traffic AND the bad traffic, forcing me to take my servers offline when we are getting attacked due to the filter.

I am wondering if anyone is able to suggest any solutions that I should look into. I am not interested in changing providers, and I'm currently running Windows Server 2008 R2.

I even have a list of over 2000 IPs that are known to be hitting me, but due to the nature of IPsec, I can't mass-import them sadly and I CBA to add them one by one.

Any suggestions?

Try asking to have your ticket moved to Ryan - from what I can tell he's the expert at gameserver DDoS mitigation at LimeStone.
    miscis.com - Providing domains and premium hosting solutions at an affordable price
    cPanel+Softaculous | 99.9% Uptime SLA | CloudLinux | Daily Backups
    █ Accepting PayPal, Credit/Debit Cards, Liberty Reserve
    Currently in Netherlands, EU & Arizona, USA

Based on what I have read the only real solution is a few hundred K in hardware or a reverse proxy service.

Are this attacks continuous or in random bursts ? Are they coming mostly from servers , from BotNets or from script kiddies hate a GM ?

Since you're on Windows look up if Microsoft has a some special solution for it . They do tent to have a lot of software that nobody heard of but that can get the job done . There might be some custom Forefont solution for your type of problem .

My advice would be to look for a DDOS protection on proxy-base, there are a few around
    What kind of budget can you make available for this? And how often do the DDOS attacks occur + also important to know is what the amount of PPS it is.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

This is actually pretty relevant to something we've been experiencing lately.

We've been looking for some kind of software which could perhaps monitor the active IP connections to the server and filter/block any connections which have - for example - more than 5-10 connections within a certain period of time. I'm not sure if this would work/help, but it's an idea I had.

We use Windows 2008 and IPSEC for IP blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Miscis View Post
    Try asking to have your ticket moved to Ryan - from what I can tell he's the expert at gameserver DDoS mitigation at LimeStone.
    +1 on this, Ryan is the man to talk to.