Budget linux dedicated with good support?

Ok I could go and check the offers section but before this I need your opinion.

Since about 80% of my sites are in php (joomla, oscommerce) I decided instead of a vps -I asked for this few days ago- to go with a linux server and a small windows vps.

I need ram 2-4gb, cpu above 2, hd 50gb+ and support in terms of "I won't screw up my machine, but just in case you do, please be kind enough to fix this asap". Oh and I really hate downtime.

Budget is $20 to $40.

Please advice.
    A website by me, for people like me, who love sales. http://www.saleslovers.com

Dedicated server with that budget?
    I'd recommend you to increase your budget if you hate "downtime"

-Saman
    Innovative Monitoring Solutions - Xitoring
    Linux Server Monitoring | Windows Server Monitoring
    Uptime Monitoring | Status Page | SSL Monitoring | API Monitoring

$40 dollars for a server with good support and no downtime?

Hmmm.... That $40 dollars is not even enough to pay a very good tech. Kid tech is more than enough though :-)

You need to increase your budget really.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Actually the title may be misleading, but I clarified this in my post. If we had quality lines and power here, I would host my sites in my own pc. I'm far a better tech than most I've met on the hosting companies I've been with.

So what I need in terms of support is eg, don't destroy my hd due to power problems. Don't close my server before sending me a message that something is wrong. My current server is again down for 2 days due to spam sent from the ip, without prior notice. And I'm paying $70 for this machine...

So I need a company who will run smoothly, no downtime except outages and emergencies and really basic support. I will probably never need support, but just in case they must reply in less than 2 days...

If you really hate downtime you should really increase your budget, the places that come to my mind its OVH ( Kimsufi ) or Hetzner but they are in Europe.
    Best Regards / Melhores Cumprimentos,
    Bernardo Andrade
    Need a system Administrator?Contact me at email@bernardoa.pt
    Visit me at www.bernardoa.pt

You might want to try WorldStream.
    Cheap but I can't tell much about their support.

Actually I live in Europe this won't be no problem. I just take advantage of the usd/euro rates to get a better server in us with the same money...

Why not just go with a single Windows machine for all your sites? Windows runs PHP on FastCGI beautifully.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

RSNET that's what I do in my current server. However have you seen the ram usage? Every php-cgi instance takes about 10 mb. I also have plenty mysql databases. And even with the best settings out there, it's obvious that windows is not php/mysql native environment. Not to mention that to get a machine with windows you need an extra 15-25 usd...

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamarina View Post
    Ok I could go and check the offers section but before this I need your opinion.

Since about 80% of my sites are in php (joomla, oscommerce) I decided instead of a vps -I asked for this few days ago- to go with a linux server and a small windows vps.

I need ram 2-4gb, cpu above 2, hd 50gb+ and support in terms of "I won't screw up my machine, but just in case you do, please be kind enough to fix this asap". Oh and I really hate downtime.

Budget is $20 to $40.

Please advice.
    Aquamarina, VPS should be Ok for this budget. but since you had said 80% sites and a need for dedicated. How many sites are you maintaining, did you try scale up your VPS? Beyond a point you would need dedicated comparing the cost of VPS. but still this budget may not be enough for dedicated server
    HostASP.NET offers Affordable, Reliable ASP.NET Web hosting India / USA | Linux plans, Hyper-V Virtual dedicated servers (VPS)

I'm between those two. Dedicated and vps. However I don't think I can find a decent vps with 2-4 gb ram...

CPU above 2
    2GHz or more than 2 cores?

Since a core is not really a core (it's about 1.6 of the speed) is should give a total of around 3gz or 1.6+ per core... I'm currently have a dual core atom at about 1.6 i think and its ok...

Since a core is not really a core (it's about 1.6 of the speed) is should give a total of around 3gz or 1.6+ per core... I'm currently have a dual core atom at about 1.6 i think and its ok...
    ? .

Lol. It's tech stuff about how really dual cores work. Apart from architecture, a dual core with two 2 cores won't give you 2*2=4ghz but about 3.2 real old fashioned speed. Anyway still can't decide...

You never just add up the core frequencies, but you are also not entirely correct. To give an example (by now old, but very good and classic example), a Q6600 is twice as powerful as one E6600 in straightforward math performance, see for example: Q6600 @ 2967 and E6600 @ 1499. Disabling all but one core scores a neat 758, which is in line with the rest (758 @ 1, 1499 @ 2, 2967 @ 4).

However, irrelevant for this thread. For that budget I doubt you have many options other than OVH's Kimsufi G2.

Different math for different situations, but the same point. Yes you never add the two cores. Now, I'm 2 days down. I've looked for vps but I can't find one with 2+ gb of ram below 40, so any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert vd Boorn View Post
    For that budget I doubt you have many options other than OVH's Kimsufi G2.
    https://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies/

Different math for different situations, but the same point. Yes you never add the two cores. Now, I'm 2 days down. I've looked for vps but I can't find one with 2+ gb of ram below 40, so any suggestions?
    Burst NET's VPS5 is within your budget. That or increase it by about $20 more and get Burst's premium VPS 4.

All i can think of is kimisurf aka OVH good cheap rates!

Quote Originally Posted by RSNET-John View Post
    Why not just go with a single Windows machine for all your sites? Windows runs PHP on FastCGI beautifully.
    What a great idea when the OP is wanting linux... Suggest a commercial platform in which you have to pay for licences.. when instead you could go for the platform that PHP was actually developed for, pay no operating system costs and have much less resource usage. Anyone wanting to run php and fastcgi should use linux.

Ok I just got a small windows vps from Burst. For $10 this is ok. They have a slow support but never had my sites down more than 2 days. I really like this VNC feature on vps. Now I have another $30 to spend. Kimsufi is ok, but I'm afraid of getting an ancient pc.

ahhyes I'm a microsoft kid, literally. I worked there in the past and I really loved how things work. However I think that after Bill left, things have gone the wrong way.

Ok I just got a small windows vps from Burst. For $10 this is ok. They have a slow support but never had my sites down more than 2 days. I really like this VNC feature on vps. Now I have another $30 to spend. Kimsufi is ok, but I'm afraid of getting an ancient pc.
    Good to hear that.

ahhyes I'm a microsoft kid, literally. I worked there in the past and I really loved how things work. However I think that after Bill left, things have gone the wrong way.
    Gates is still chairman of the company. It did not go anything wrong way. Microsoft is not just with OS out there, there are other great products we already knew. They also work on other commercial products in ERP, CRM and so clear road-map on their products.

Coming to non commercial products. It is not that all linux based hosting are non commercial there is always a comprise over other considering cost part. Checkout CloudLinux OS, offered commercially in market and they have unique selling preposition on shared hosting environment. Thinking of shared tenants those features on shared hosting will be best choice compared to other Free Linux distributions.

It all depends what you want and your comfort level on them using and managing them.
    Last edited by HostASP; 03-11-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    HostASP.NET offers Affordable, Reliable ASP.NET Web hosting India / USA | Linux plans, Hyper-V Virtual dedicated servers (VPS)

Lol. It's tech stuff about how really dual cores work. Apart from architecture, a dual core with two 2 cores won't give you 2*2=4ghz but about 3.2 real old fashioned speed. Anyway still can't decide...
    What...........? Are you talking about dedicated servers or VPSs?

VPS hosts do have weird ways of advertising their specs. Although if a dedicated server says it is a quad core @ 3 Ghz, then that is what it is...........4 cores total, each core running at 3 Ghz. For example, a Core i7 2500k quad core @ 3.3 Ghz(say turbo is disabled) is just that, 4 cores, each at 3 Ghz...3.3 x 4 = 13.2 Ghz, if you want to do it the "old fashioned" way.

And for hosts, I would look in the WHT offers section. I have seen a few older servers that cost that much.