Nameservers on 2 servers

Hi all,

Wondered if you could help me, I have just purchased a dedicated server, I already have a VPS with my host on it and some customers. I needed to jump to a new dedicated to handle the more demanding customers.

Although I am fairly experienced with linux the whole nameserver thing has got me.

This is what I have:

On my vps there are ns1.xxx.com and ns2.xxx.com, I am using 2 ip's on difference blocks for the redundancy.

All of my customers point their domains to the above ns1 and ns2.

With this new server from Hetzner I want them to still be able to point their domains at the nameservers above and obviously this will work with my new server without the domain actually being moved from my vps as I am keeping it.

Does that make sense? I don't really do all the technical language but I am sure you get my drift (hopefully)

Never had to think about this until now and just cant get my head around it, especially as in time I may need to add another server in time.

Thanks for your time and input.

Martin.

Setup main account to your dedi box? Just setup same nameservers as
    ns1.xxxxx.com | ns2.xxxxx.com
    after that, migrate all accounts to your dedicated box. After Migration completed. you only need to do is, login to your domain panel, and update the nameserver ips from VPS IPs to Dedi IPs.

Once your new IPs propagate with nameservers, customers can access your dedi automatically.
    ☆☆ RoyalNode Web Hosting☆☆ In Business Since 2018 (3 Years)
    ►►Los Angeles CA USA, Oregon Seattle USA, Canada, Amsterdam NL EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable Managed SSD VPS and Managed Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

Is that what he is asking? He says he does not want to migrate his customers from the VPS to the Dedicated, he just wants the ns1 and ns2 that he currently has to work if customers are on either.

I am trying to think of an easy solution with my very limited knowledge in this area.

Could you point ns1 to an IP on your vps and ns2 to an IP on your dedicated? You loose the redundancy for both though.

Or can you simply add DNS1.xxx.com and DNS2.xxx.com with ips pointing to the to the dedicated and keep your NS1 and NS2 as they are?

Thats about all I can add, sorry

Assuming (and hoping) that you're using cPanel or DirectAdmin, it's easy. Do this:

1) Cluster the VPS and server together (ask if you don't understand or know how) and set them to sync in the future.

2) Sync all DNS data from the VPS to the server so the records on each are both then identical (again ask if you don't understand or know how).

3) Choose an IP on the server to become your NS1. Change the A record for it in your cPanel or DirectAdmin, and at the same time change your NS1 IP at your domain registry.

So you end up with NS1 on your server, NS2 on your VPS (so you get the added redundancy) and any accounts you move from VPS to server (or the other way) keep the same nameserver records as you move stuff around

See, that's what I said. Kind of

Quote Originally Posted by wisenerl View Post
    See, that's what I said. Kind of
    Actually you both made 1 fundamental mistake

You said "You loose the redundancy for both though." whereas the OP said "I am using 2 ip's on difference blocks for the redundancy.". You're both wrong.

The OP's current setup (using 2 IPs on the same VPS) has zero redundancy - 2 IPs both pointing to the same copy of BIND - When that, or the VPS, goes down he's shot.

Moving NS1 to the dedi adds redundancy - So give yourself a pat on the back. Kinda

It was a slip, I knew what I meant

FDNS, thank you very much. Been working on it most of the night and it seems to be running spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    FDNS, thank you very much. Been working on it most of the night and it seems to be running spot on!
    No probs, just shout if you get stuck. It's also a good idea to check a couple of your domains in http://www.intodns.com just to make sure everything looks right.

@wisenerl - Yeah, I can usually understand what a Scotsman means. It's with Scottygirls I usually run into (linguistical) problems

Yes, I do know what you mean, I prefer them them not to speak, but moving on...