Hivelocity - Making bold untrue claims

RE: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1134149

Hivelocity placed an order immediately and will be the first host to get these great new servers online for its customers.
    They will not be the FIRST host. Webnx has been offering them on wht for several days now, furthermore, softlayer also has been offering them and filling orders. Hivelocity is doing pre-orders.

http://www.softlayer.com/press/relea...eon-processors
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1133597

Does it really matter? it's advertising. people claim to be the first or the best at things all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by n!ghtmare View Post
    Does it really matter? it's advertising. people claim to be the first or the best at things all the time.
    I feel that when people claim to be the first or the best, it is wrong and false advertising. It's all in the wording. You can call your self 'a leading' something or other and it is much different then flat out saying your the best at it. They jumped on the e5 bandwagon a few days after other hosts, and they don't even have them in stock yet. It is wrong for them to say they are the first to offer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I feel that when people claim to be the first or the best, it is wrong and false advertising. It's all in the wording. You can call your self 'a leading' something or other and it is much different then flat out saying your the best at it. They jumped on the e5 bandwagon a few days after other hosts, and they don't even have them in stock yet. It is wrong for them to say they are the first to offer them.
    Sadly it happens. Just like how several cloud companies have claimed to be the first to use SSDs.

We had an E5 system overnighted the day they came out and put a customer online the same day of delivery. He was chomping at the bit and willing to be the guinea pig on the new gear. If a host was faster than that I take it back. Big order set to arrive early next week for everyone else.
    Last edited by hivelocitygm; 03-09-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

Seriously... with all the things many hosts claim and fail to deliver on these days yet you want to pull HV up for this

just lol

Maybe this would have been best brought up privately between you and hivelocity beforehand?

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    Maybe this would have been best brought up privately between you and hivelocity beforehand?
    Yeah.. Its Hivelocity.. this guy must have a grudge against them or something..

Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityGM View Post
    We had an E5 system overnighted the day they came out and put a customer online the same day of delivery. He was chomping at the bit and willing to be the guinea pig on the new gear. If a host was faster than that I take it back.
    We had an E5 system a week before launch, and I doubt we're the only ones who had test units available ahead of time. Anyone who had a test unit could've just handed it over to a customer right at launch, not the day after with overnight shipping. We didn't choose to do that, as we had some concerns with how the 2nd CPU gets cooled with a Supermicro X9DRL-iF motherboard, but I wouldn't find it the least bit surprising that some host would've turned up an E5 for a client right on launch day.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

People and companies claim to be #1 all the time. Yes, this answer is the #1 best answer.

Quote Originally Posted by n!ghtmare View Post
    +1, I do not see how this is at all relevant; if they did infact offer them to 1 or more customers on release day then the advertising is technically valid.

Everyone meet me at HV's HQ at 4pm, there's gonna be a hanging

I feel that when people claim to be the first or the best, it is wrong and false advertising. It's all in the wording. You can call your self 'a leading' something or other and it is much different then flat out saying your the best at it.
    So you argee that what you state on your own website is wrong

Also what does it matter what people put on their websites their hardly going to put words like "worse host" its all sales fluff...

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    We had an E5 system a week before launch, and I doubt we're the only ones who had test units available ahead of time.
    Correct, we also had a test system a week for the launch. A beta test customer got it on the hour of the launch.
    But i believe one server does not count towards being the first to offer the E5 commercially
    We are waiting for the platform to prove itself stable and without heat issues before rolling it out commercially.
    The main issue is heat dissipation, we did not get the E5 stable when packed in a 1U chassis due to the CPU's overheating. Other problems are the unavailability of large amounts of mainboards that support the E5, strongly fluctuating mainboard pricing due to shortage and the fact that we simply need time to test new equipment before we introduce them commercially. Rushing to become the first to introduce these as dedicated servers, might make your customers very unsatisfied unless you tell them they are basically testers.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

What exactly are you guys considering launch day?

SoftLayer has been deploying E5 systems since at least October of last year...so I am guessing everyone is a little late to the party?

Quote Originally Posted by leckley View Post
    What exactly are you guys considering launch day?

SoftLayer has been deploying E5 systems since at least October of last year...so I am guessing everyone is a little late to the party?
    They can't have been doing it commercially until last Tuesday..

They have been deploying at the very least since the beginning of October when they opened Singapore.

I am sure if you check around a bit you will see many many people have been using them prior to the "launch day".

What mainboards do they use for these E5 servers? because until a few weeks ago, no mainboards were available yet.
    Maybe you confuse the E5 with the E3 or the E7.
    As you see, Softlayer introduced the E5 on launch day (6th of March 2012).
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    What mainboards do they use for these E5 servers? because until a few weeks ago, no mainboards were available yet.
    Maybe you confuse the E5 with the E3 or the E7.
    As you see, Softlayer introduced the E5 on launch day (6th of March 2012).
    Supermicro X9DR6-LN4+
    BIOS Date: 09/23/11 18:32:03 Ver: 04.06.04
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 @ 2.00Ghz (32CPUs), ~2.0Ghz

When they publicly started offering them for sale and when they started deploying them are two completely different things.

I never argued they didn't just start offering them for purchase, I said they started deploying them last year.

No I am not confusing them.

Just because you didn't have access to them prior to a week ago does not mean other haven't had them for months, welcome to the real world where the bigger you are the sooner you get things.

Just because you didn't have access to them prior to a week ago does not mean other haven't had them for months, welcome to the real world where the bigger you are the sooner you get things.
    Fair enough, providers like OVH and Softlayer have likely access to new technology faster because of their size. But that these boards and CPU's are available to them for many months already, that does surprise me.
    The vendors we work with, are amongst the largest in the world (and purchase definitely more servers / year then even the largest dedicated server providers) , but did not have these boards and CPU's available for months before launch date.

Is it annoying? Sure.
    Does it reek of desperation? Sure.
    Does it really matter in the end? Nope.

For getting CPU's that early, they should have been 'engineering samples'. They shouldn't have been offering them to customers for anything other than testing, without charging for them, as they would probably violate Intel's agreements/NDA's/etc. otherwise.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by metacloudnine View Post
    Does it reek of desperation? Sure.
    where do you people get all this s**t from....

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    For getting CPU's that early, they should have been 'engineering samples'. They shouldn't have been offering them to customers for anything other than testing, without charging for them, as they would probably violate Intel's agreements/NDA's/etc. otherwise.
    Engineering samples....get real would you please.

I am sure Intel sold them a few thousand (probably a quite a bit more by now) E5's just for samples, come on now. They have been only stocking E3 & E5 systems in Singapore since it opened and the same with their Amsterdam datacenter in November.

Like I said before, just because you are not on Supermicro's and Intel's short list does not mean the guy down the street isn't.

Welcome to the real world of business, it has very little to do with timing and everything to do with who you know and how big you are (and no I don't mean your personal physique..).

Like I said before, just because you are not on Supermicro's and Intel's short list does not mean the guy down the street isn't.
    Short list or not, Intel has certain policies in place regarding their product launches. The short list would be more about who gets CPU's first, not whether or not it's okay to start selling servers with the new CPU's in them to anyone who orders them ahead of launch time. In the Unixbench thread, a SoftLayer customer posted a benchmark with the E5's some weeks ago. Do you think Intel, at the very top level and not just some rogue cronie, would be happy about that if they knew about it?

Welcome to the real world of business, it has very little to do with timing and everything to do with who you know and how big you are (and no I don't mean your personal physique..).
    Thanks for stating the obvious. Now ask yourself this, who's bigger, OEM's like Apple, IBM, Dell, or HP? Or SoftLayer. Who deals in higher volumes, the major computer distributors, or SoftLayer?

If SoftLayer were fully authorized to sell E5's to the general public well before the official launch date, don't you think they'd have been marketing it for all it was worth, rather than waiting until official launch to announce the E5's as a product offering? You talk about the 'real' world of business, and you don't think it's possible that some agreements might have been made in private, that weren't fully adhered to?