Hot swappable servers with RAID 1

Hello,

I recently asked with Softlayer chat if their server supports hot swappable with RAID 1.

They said that the server requires to be powered down so that they can replaced the spoilt HDD, and also the OS needs to be reloaded.

The main question is, what's the purpose of having a RAID 1 setup with hotswappable drives bay, if I am going to have my OS reloaded to replace the HDD?

I want the server to be update despite having one failed drive so that it can be replaced asap.

Why?

That was probably just a newbie sales rep. I believe they use a lot of hotswap supermicro gear just like most hosts here.

I would contact them again asking the question in a different way. It seems they misunderstood what you wanted.

Also, if they need to power down the server to replace one of the HD's, it's not actually hot swappable and is misleading if they say it is but won't do it. I can't even think of any decent servers lately that don't support hotswapping these days.

Edit: Gordon beat me to it. Ask a new sales rep for the proper answer too. Still odd if it's a newbie sales rep. I wouldn't apply for a position in sales that I didn't fully understand.

So the main question is, can it be done?

RAID 1 setup that allows the faulty HDD to be replaced without the server going down, and once the HDD is replaced, everything functions normally as it was before. Even if one HDD goes down, the operation should go on as normal.

That's correct - with hot swappable HDD's, RAID will rebuild in background after inserting new HDD (there can be bit of slow disk I/O while it is rebuilding) - however, your server should remain up and operational.
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk