* Offsite backups - RAID6 storage, 25% discount coupon for WHT customers

Hello dear WHT members,

Backups are never an option but a must. Hardware failures do happen, and you really want to have your business data secure, and backed up in case of emergency.
    At XSBackup we're all about security and privacy. We're no resellers, we don't rent, we own our hardware and related equipment, and all servers have a very limited number of people with access to them.

The storage servers themselves, run in a strict, secure environment, because we know that customers who use our service, usually back up sensitive data. Therefore we are set on providing you with 100 % privacy, and data security.

What can we provide you with ?

- Every account has reseller status from the beginning.
    - We take great pride into listening to our customers needs, and into protecting our resellers business. As a reseller, you get branding features. You can add your custom URL and custom logo, and modify the control panel header. Also you can add your own support system URL, for your customers to access if they run into any issues.
    - We stress a great deal on security. If security and privacy is what you're concerned on, then you're in the right place.
    - We are pleased to announce an expected update in XSBackup services: we have now introduced support for FreeBSD and non-cPanel servers through our backup management scripts !
    * A few highlights include: create/update/remove RSA keys, cron jobs editing, setup backups for WHM, save file/folders ownership/permissions, and much more !

We have a special promotion for our faithful WHT customers, and the details are below:

Coupon code - WHT25OFF

[====================]
    features: 25 % off any package
    [====================]

You can use the backup account to backup entire dedicated servers and/or VPS servers and/or individual hosting accounts.
    Full SSH/RSYNC/FTP/SHELL support.
    Web based control panel (custom created).
    Reseller status comes as a bonus for every account. You can create as many accounts as you want !
    BRANDING: Each reseller account, comes with full branding: logo/custom vhost/custom notifications and news.
    [++++++++++++++++++++]

XSBlue
    10 GB Disk space
    Full SSH/RSYNC/FTP/SHELL access.
    4.95$/mo
    click to order

[++++++++++++++++++++]

XSRed
    20 GB Disk space
    7.95$/mo
    click to order

[++++++++++++++++++++]

XSCyan
    50 GB Disk space
    9.95$/mo
    click to order
    [++++++++++++++++++++]

XSGrey
    100 GB Disk space
    18.95$/mo
    click to order

[++++++++++++++++++++]

XSGreen
    250 GB Disk space
    49.95 $/mo
    click to order

[++++++++++++++++++++]

XSMagenta

2000 GB Disk space
    149.95 $/mo
    click to order

[++++++++++++++++++++]

If you have any questions, mail admin [at] xsbackup [dot] com.
    If you wish to find out more about us, please visit our site.
    Thank you and have a nice day.
    XSBackup.com - keeping your data secure.
    XSBackup - keeping your data secure. Offsite redundant backups - RAID6 storage / rSync / SSH / FTP access. Whitelabel services / Reseller accounts available.
    NEW! - If you need awesome admins to secure, optimize and maintain your servers, you're in the right place.

Will your backup allow a full system restore?

For example, the MB on my CENTOS/Apache/CPanel dedicated server crashes and takes the drive with it. I replace the hardware and load enough CENTOS to get Apache, SSH, FTP, MySQL and CPanel all with default configurations. At this point can I restore the whole server -- CENTOS configuration, Apache configuration, CPanel configuration, MySql configuration & data and each of the sites?

Regards,

Aza D. Oberman

yes absolutely. if you are using cpanel to take the backups, then cpanel automatically is backing up apache/mysql configs, and you will be able to restore everything just to the previous state it was when the last backup was taken. additionally, we can help you setup the backups if you want confirmation that everything is being backed up properly, and your data is secure.
    XSBackup - keeping your data secure. Offsite redundant backups - RAID6 storage / rSync / SSH / FTP access. Whitelabel services / Reseller accounts available.
    NEW! - If you need awesome admins to secure, optimize and maintain your servers, you're in the right place.

Thanks for the prompt response.

I know about the CPanel backups. Apart from a few odd constraints about restoring things like past AWStats it will restore individual sites and CPanel fairly well.

What I'm talking about is at the system level along with Apache and CENTOS configuration files -- things like the directory structure, drivers, script library contents & location, mounting drives and ModPerl. In other words, taking a minimal generic load of CENTOS, APACHE, and restoring/installing the systems level components to the way we we had it tweaked before the crash.

Regards,

Aza

for that you can use the custom scripts we have created to backup extra paths/files and have them side by side the cpanel backups.
    as long as you know those paths, just add them to the list, and they will be backed up daily, or at which frequency you set them to.

if you are unsure which paths you should add, we can provide a matrix of paths we use for our own centos/cpanel servers that you can customize to your liking.

Hmm. So the backup is not really like a disk image. It's more of a file by file copy.

Thanks for the information. I also need to take a closer look at what the CPanel FAQs mean when they say:

"How can I use rsync with a cPanel backup?
    We do not support a backup procedure that uses rsync. While it is possible to use rsync with cPanel backups, we strongly recommend using our tools to ensure reliable backups. Under certain conditions, rsync may corrupt SQL database backups." (http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vie...lFAQ/BackupFAQ)

Regards,

Aza

a disk image is not resource effective, and i would highly recommend against it. reasons:

- if you have a server with let's say 200 gb of disk space used, then you would have to copy that 200 gb (and by no means it will take 5 minutes) every day or with what frequency you wish to copy, that server will have to support a lot of cpu usage, and unnecessary disk i/o, slowing down services for your customers, and we don't want that.

- on the other hand, you could have a local drive added, and configure whm to take backups to that disk, and rsync the disk contents to our backup location - that is the preferred way to do it.

it should not be that hard to restore a server, provided that you backup core config files that would help you restore the server much faster than usual.

- by doing rsync backups, you would also save lots of bandwidth per day, and a lot of i/o that is generated doing the backup copy process.

i would understand if you do images backups for virtual machines, but for a dedicated server, it kinda doesn't make sense.

Yeah, a drive image every day would be a sensles waste of CPU and bandwidth.

I'm prospecting around for my options here. The options fall into two categories:

1) MySQL, CPanel, and hosted domain backups including configuration files. As you observed, CPanel has that fairly well covered. A periodic off-site copy of the CPanel backup directory would cover that nicely.

2) System level CENTOS, cron files, Perl libraries, PHP libraries, drivers and associated configuration files. Off-site backups perhaps twice a year should cover this *but* the devil is in the details. Figuring out precisely which files need to be copied for off-site backup is the sort of thing where errors aren't found until you have to restore -- and then it's too late.

With system files there is also something of a question about whether the operating system will allow it's key files to be updated. That well may be a problem.

I clearly have a bit more investigation to do.

Regards,

Aza