BurstNet Email Issues

I am running a dedicated server purchased from BurstNet. Since the day I got the server, I've had issues with emails not being accepted by Yahoo and Comcast.

When I jumped hosts, I wasn't sending emails following best practices. I didn't have rDNS correctly configured, and wasn't signing the emails to the best practices. I've since upgraded to the latest version of cPanel, configured rDNS, and ensured SPF and DKIM are on for ALL domains on the box (~10 domains, all mine). Yahoo and Comcast still bounce all emails with permanent failure messages. All attempts to contact Yahoo have lead nowhere, they're horrible.

I am at my wits end. BurstNet has been a great host in all respects except this issue, I'd hate to leave, but this isn't working for me. I was sending partially signed emails with old standards from my old box with a different provider (Layered Tech) and never had any issues. I'm almost positive I walked into an IP that was pre-blocked, but have no way of telling for sure.

Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated. I paid for a full year with Burst when I switched, so I'm stuck for months still. Both short and long term opinions are wanted.

BurstNET has always had issues delivering to Yahoo! addresses.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=+sit...et+yahoo+email
    miscis.com - Providing domains and premium hosting solutions at an affordable price
    cPanel+Softaculous | 99.9% Uptime SLA | CloudLinux | Daily Backups
    █ Accepting PayPal, Credit/Debit Cards, Liberty Reserve
    Currently in Netherlands, EU & Arizona, USA

Hello,
    Have you asked Burst to set the RDNS on their end (not something that is done in cPanel).

Have you also checked to see if your IP Addresses are in any blacklist. Can you post the failure email here?
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

KMyers,

rDNS has been configured via Burst. I've checked a variety of blacklists and didn't find any results. Error:

Quote Originally Posted by error
    SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host mta7.am0.yahoodns.net [98.139.175.224]: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from {my ip} will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo

Miscis,

So what options do I have? Is there anywhere I can purchase an external mail server from and configure it with my dedicated environment? Is that even possible?

Or should I just give up and look for another web host? I'm pretty sure I've lost significant hair over this. I'm no expert in this area, and it's driving me batty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjtocool View Post
    KMyers,

rDNS has been configured via Burst. I've checked a variety of blacklists and didn't find any results. Error:

Miscis,

So what options do I have? Is there anywhere I can purchase an external mail server from and configure it with my dedicated environment? Is that even possible?

Or should I just give up and look for another web host? I'm pretty sure I've lost significant hair over this. I'm no expert in this area, and it's driving me batty.
    Hello,
    Is it only Yahoo? Have you tried a hotmail or gmail?
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

Yahoo and Comcast, all others I've tested (including Hotmail and Gmail) are fine.

You could try contacting Yahoo, although looking through this thread they don't seem to be helpful.
    Maybe try asking BurstNET for IPs in different ranges?

If you PM me with a yahoo address I'll try to send you an email from a server we have there along with the IP range that our server is in.
    miscis.com - Providing domains and premium hosting solutions at an affordable price
    cPanel+Softaculous | 99.9% Uptime SLA | CloudLinux | Daily Backups
    █ Accepting PayPal, Credit/Debit Cards, Liberty Reserve
    Currently in Netherlands, EU & Arizona, USA

I've attempted communicating with Yahoo. I'm confident half of the emails were written by a Chimp, and the other half auto-generated. If Burst's IPs are blocked in general, would that be anything more than a hassle?

Have you tried Amazon SES to deliver these?

I'm not familiar with Amazon SES. How would I use it to solve this problem?

Redirect the pesky destinations (Yahoo, Hotmail etc) to be delivered by SES ($0.10/1000 msgs plus $0.12/GB of data transfer out). But only if your volume is not that enormous.

First, go to http://www.senderbase.org/ and check your IP reputation. If the neighborhood looks grim, let BurstNET know you plan on sending mail with your box. They're a budget host and not everyone needs a good sender reputation. They will in all likelyhood move you to a different box on a cleaner IP range.

If the reputation doesn't look all that bad, then just set up spf's and domain keys on each of your domains. In a matter of several weeks, your problem may well be solved. In each case I've encountered this sort of problem with BurstNET, the spf's clean it up every time. Just be patient after you set them up.

If you use cPanel, the Email Authentication tool will set these up for you with a few clicks of the mouse.
    HostingXchange | 100% USA-Based Tech Support
    Shared | Reseller | VPS | Consulting | .NET Development

Top dollar paid for hosting companies. Please contact us...

The neighbor hood doesn't look too bad to me, though I don't fully know what to look for. Most neighbors are neutral (including me), two good. I have all domains on my boxes set to user SPF and DKIM. I only use two out of 5 allocated IPs. I use one as the shared IP, the other as a dedicated IP, both encounter this issue.

Comcast problem, use: http://www.comcastsupport.com/Forms/...edprovider.asp - expect a response with in 24 hours.

Yahoo problem try: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...er/bulkv2.html - expect a response in 3 days, and a few more days of back and forth before they get around to doing something about it.

<< snipped >>

To the OP; as others have said, it's a common issue with Yahoo and Comcast having a blanket ban on tons of BurstNet IP blocks.

To get around it, we purchased a cheap $5 VPS from another provider and route mails for the effected mails through that. You just need to allow your server hostname to relay mail through the VPS and then edit the Exim config on the Burst server, adding this to the "Routerstart" section:

Code:
    smarthost:
      driver = manualroute
      domains = ^yahoo\.* : ^comcast\.com
      transport = remote_smtp
      route_data = hostname.of.vps
    The above routes any @yahoo.anything and @comcast.com emails through the external mailserver. (the cheap VPS)
    Last edited by Alex; 01-03-2013 at 05:27 PM.

As DanT27 mentioned above, placing the blame entirely on BurstNET is somewhat unsavory. Consider the multitude of VPS customers who've used & abused those same IPs in the past, as well as how much crap is already associated with Yahoo, it's bound to happen at some point. When I was with them I requested a clean /29 specifically for Exim listen IPs. They were fine with that.

Don't waste your time contacting Yahoo unless you enjoy blood pressure spikes. You'll fill out the form twice and eventually receive an automated email that there's nothing they can do. Save your sanity and go with one of the suggestions here. GOOD luck!