Exclamation PHP Update (5.3)

Someone is already using the new version of php 5.3.x on your servers? They had many problems with incompatibilities?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ddrhost View Post
    Someone is already using the new version of php 5.3.x on your servers? They had many problems with incompatibilities?

Thank you
    I presume you mean v5.4.x.

All changes are listed in the release notes, that will help you identify possible incompatibilities.

It all depends on your code. What causes problems for someone else may not cause problems for you and vice versa.

If your code functions in 5.3, you shouldn't see too many issues in 5.4, looking at their changelog, with the exception of mysqli related functions.
    If you skipped 5.3, you should upgrade to 5.3 first, make sure there's no issues there.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

we're using php 5.3 for a long time now, and everything has been smooth. no issues with scripts.
    We live in a twilight world

there is a few functions (ie. ereg(i)) that have been depreciated in 5.3, but they wont be removed untill 6.x, so for now its only notice/depreciated level errors.

With php 5.3 I had some customers issues with some old wordpress themes.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Quote Originally Posted by primed View Post
    there is a few functions (ie. ereg(i)) that have been depreciated in 5.3, but they wont be removed untill 6.x, so for now its only notice/depreciated level errors.
    Not necessarily. 5.3 was pretty much what everyone expected 6 to be. Most of the 'deprecated' stuff was removed in 5.4 (from their changelog)

Removed legacy features
    break/continue $var syntax.
    Safe mode and all related ini options.
    register_globals and register_long_arrays ini options.
    import_request_variables().
    allow_call_time_pass_reference.
    define_syslog_variables ini option and its associated function.
    highlight.bg ini option.
    Session bug compatibility mode (session.bug_compat_42 and session.bug_compat_warn ini options).
    session_is_registered(), session_register() and session_unregister() functions.
    y2k_compliance ini option.
    magic_quotes_gpc, magic_quotes_runtime and magic_quotes_sybase ini options. get_magic_quotes_gpc, get_magic_quotes_runtime are kept but always return false, set_magic_quotes_runtime raises an E_CORE_ERROR.
    Removed support for putenv("TZ=..") for setting the timezone.
    Removed the timezone guessing algorithm in case the timezone isn't set with date.timezone or date_default_timezone_set(). Instead of a guessed timezone, "UTC" is now used instead.
    The most important thing is going to be globals here. Of course, there will be others, but I think the one that's going to kick most people in the tail end is going to be globals, as they are a persistent problem among unprofessional (ie: cheap) developers.

Right, some stuff is removed in 5.4, but does not look like major functions are.

Ofcause magic quotes and register globals is going to give some trouble, but IMHO they should already be turned off on all new sites, the default for register globals have been off for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by primed View Post
    Ofcause magic quotes and register globals is going to give some trouble, but IMHO they should already be turned off on all new sites, the default for register globals have been off for a while now.
    Good luck explaining that to a client that just HAS to have register_globals on. "Well, this script worked just fine with register_globals for the past 5 years!"

Really? The past 5 years? I'm sure it's being kept up to date and I'm sure there are no security vulnerabilities in it.

That's where PLENTY of warning comes into play.
    When I move servers from 5.2.x to 5.3, I make it very clear that things will break, and give 3-6 month's warning, that way there's no way they can claim "I didn't know". Well they can claim it, but It won't wash

I'll probably do the same with 5.4, even though I doubt there'll be much of a problem since 5.3 pretty much took out the crap that is gone for good in 5.4