Is this a good deal?

Buying a new dedicated server hosting with the below config:

E3-1230 Xeon Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.2Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    2 x 1000GB SAS, RAID1
    10TB @ 100 Mbps port
    Cpanel
    Unmanaged

Total Cost: $210/monthly. Do you think it is a good deal? Please share your views.
    Last edited by arvbin; 03-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.

where is it physically located?
    • Dedicated Servers in Europe and Asia: http://www.server.lu
    SINGAPORE and LUXMBOURG Servers with IPMI
    • Peering @ AMS-IX, DE-CIX, LINX, FRANCE-IX, EQUINIX SINGAPORE-PARIS-ASHBURN-CHICAGO-DALLAS-PALO ALTO-LOS ANGELES and LU-CIX •

Looks like a decent deal, I am sure you could probably get it a bit cheaper but the provider may not be as good...

Is it really 2x 1000GB SAS or did you mean SATA?

SAS is not impossible, but this config is usually provided with regular 7200 RPM SATA drives.
    • Peering @ AMS-IX, DE-CIX, LINX, FRANCE-IX, EQUINIX SINGAPORE-PARIS-ASHBURN-CHICAGO-DALLAS-PALO ALTO-LOS ANGELES and LU-CIX •

Quote Originally Posted by globichen View Post
    Is it really 2x 1000GB SAS or did you mean SATA?

SAS is not impossible, but this config is usually provided with regular 7200 RPM SATA drives.
    It is 1TB SAS - Raid 1. Is this good?

You'll have to make sure that this is really SAS, because it can be interpreted as different things:

- regular 7200 RPM SATA drives connected to a SAS backplane
    - SAS drives @ 10000 RPM
    - SAS drives @ 15000 RPM

Ask your provider for the exact SAS specs.

where is it physically located?
    It is located in FL

It's a decent deal. Personally I think you could squeeze out double the RAM for that price since it is unmanaged.
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

You'll have to make sure that this is really SAS, because it can be interpreted as different things:

- regular 7200 RPM SATA drives connected to a SAS backplane
    - SAS drives @ 10000 RPM
    - SAS drives @ 15000 RPM

Ask your provider for the exact SAS specs.
    Got an answer from host.. "Dell SAS HDDs, running at 7200RPM. the difference is this drive uses the SAS configuration and it gets over DOUBLE the READ/WRITE SPEEDS of a normal SATA drive. So the SAS drive-in the Dell's get about 6Gbps read/write speeds which is over double that of a normal SATA drive"

I'd say the price is okay, although the SAS description is very misleading to say the least!

Don't expect 6Gbps R/W on your Raid-1 configuration. My feeling says you'll get something around 110 MB/s

I'd say the price is okay, although the SAS description is very misleading to say the least!

Don't expect 6Gbps R/W on your Raid-1 configuration. My feeling says you'll get something around 110 MB/s
    Thank you. Their specs say "RAID Setup - SAS RAID 1".. is SAS Raid 1 and Raid 1 are same?

Quote Originally Posted by arvbin View Post
    Thank you. Their specs say "RAID Setup - SAS RAID 1".. is SAS Raid 1 and Raid 1 are same?
    They are probably nearlines - still work very well.
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

Is there a specific purpose for the server?

looking at the config this seems pretty good for the price. any idea on the network ? how much bw do they have, and what are the upstream providers ?
    We live in a twilight world

Quote Originally Posted by themedia View Post
    looking at the config this seems pretty good for the price. any idea on the network ? how much bw do they have, and what are the upstream providers ?
    It is actually hivelocity.net
    providing 100Mbps Port
    Found this in their website: "connectivity is comprised of multiple redundant Tier 1 back-bone providers. Through our partnerships with Level 3, Time Warner Telecom, Global Crossing and Cogent we currently have over 100 Gbps bandwidth capacity routed via FCP and BGP4 protocol."

Quote Originally Posted by CJSS View Post
    Is there a specific purpose for the server?
    Call me crazy. The purpose is to launch websites & Web applications and I don't have a single website ready yet. May not use even 10GBs per month right now.

you got a good deal for the money then. hivelocity are cool people.
    We live in a twilight world

your provider is clueless if he is telling you that the drives are twice as fast, 7200 rpm sas drives are at most 5-10% faster then normal 7200 rpm hd's

Quote Originally Posted by arvbin View Post
    Got an answer from host.. "Dell SAS HDDs, running at 7200RPM. the difference is this drive uses the SAS configuration and it gets over DOUBLE the READ/WRITE SPEEDS of a normal SATA drive. So the SAS drive-in the Dell's get about 6Gbps read/write speeds which is over double that of a normal SATA drive"

Hivelocity is a good group, but you can get more for your money.
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com