Angry Dediserv.eu suspended my server... for no reason

I leased a couple of servers with dediserv.eu on Equinix datacenter.

My first experience was very positive. Very fast network, superb hardware (HP servers) at a low price.

But...

A server ordered in 29th February, with the setup the same day in a few hours (pretty impressive) was suspended yesterday (Sunday 4th May) and nobody knows why !

The helpdesk timeline goes like this:

Posted on: 04 March 2012 10:51 PM by ME

Hi,

The server stopped responding and I can't access using the KVM.

Using the credentials from client area it says Failed login attempt, Unauthorized.

Posted on: 04 March 2012 10:51 PM by Helpdesk

Hello,

Server has been suspended by our sales staff.

Please create ticket to sales department.
    ---
    Best regards,
    Andrzej F
    Dediserv Support

Posted on: 04 March 2012 11:09 PM by ME

Hi again,

I opened a ticket to sales department, but the time is passing with no answer and the server remains offline.

Why would you suspend it with not even a notice of what its about? The server was leased 5 days ago any I have just finished transferring sites to it, and was suspended?!!

Could you inform me why it has been suspended? Can't you enable it again?

Posted on: 04 March 2012 11:13 PM by Helpdesk

Hello,
    I am sorry but I am not able help you in this case.

As serve was suspended by our sales department so I do not have permission to activate it.

You have to wait for their response

---
    Best regards,
    Andrzej F
    Dediserv Support

Posted on: 04 March 2012 11:54 PM by ME

Ok, an hour and so has passed with no response at all on WHY a brand new fully paid server has been suspended with NO notice at all on a Sunday night. There is no outstanding balance or any other pending issue.

I know... only the sales department can help, but I thought you were in the same company, which is pretty frustrating. Could you inform someone from the sales department (Dino or anyone) that this is *pretty* important?

Isn't there a way to even temporarily enable the server until *someone from the sales department* ever answers?

I hope I don't have to wait until the morning for this.

Posted on: 04 March 2012 11:56 PM by Helpdesk

Hello,

I have sent Dino message.
    ---
    Best regards,
    Andrzej F
    Dediserv Support

Posted on: 05 March 2012 01:36 AM by ME

No answer yet.. 3 hours later.

Can you TEMPORARILY enable the server until *someone from the sales department* ever answers, please?

I really can't figure out why can't you at least help to bring the server up.

Even if the sales department has a reason for suspending (which I bet they don't) just bring the server up for 12 hours in order to get my data out.

This is getting ridiculous.

Posted on: 05 March 2012 10:12 AM by ME

Ok I have lost the hour counting.

Is there anyone there?

Posted on: 05 March 2012 10:15 AM by Helpdesk

Hello,

We are working in support and we are here 24/7 however suspending/unsuspending is performed by billing/sales department and we cannot change it.
    ---
    Best regards,
    Marcin K
    DediServ Support

Posted on: 05 March 2012 10:33 AM by ME

So you find logical to suspend a server for no apparent reason, nobody to answer *why* the server has been suspended, and wait for Dino to answer after X hours/X days etc.

This means that if for no apparent reason Dino doesn't answer I am just... screwed.

Nice customer service!
    The sales department timeline is a bit more dull. It goes like this:

Posted on: 04 March 2012 10:55 PM by ME

Hi,

The server has stopped responding and in the ticket I open the response was:

"Server has been suspended by our sales staff."

Why does the server has been suspended?!

Posted on: 04 March 2012 11:39 PM by ME

It would be nice if there was a quick response on this.

The server was leased 5 days ago and I just finished transferring all sites, in order to be... suspended.

And its pretty frustrating that support department doesn't know what happened or can't even help on this.

Posted on: 05 March 2012 01:28 AM by ME

Any update? Anyone there...?

The server is not working for almost 3 hours...

Posted on: 05 March 2012 10:12 AM by ME

Ok I have lost the hour counting.

Is there anyone there?
    So 12 hours later, the server is still suspended, nobody has answered why.

There is no pending balance, the first invoice was paid the same day and the next one will be due for 29/03.

Update from the helpdesk only moments ago...

I have just received information that your server is back online. For explanation of this issue please wait for billing department reply.
    ---
    Best regards,
    Marcin K
    DediServ Support

I'd like to know what the reason was, any response yet?

Not yet, I will keep updated this post with any response.

Although the server is indeed online again right now, dediserv has really lost my trust on them.

If they can suspend servers for half a day and don't even respond on why, I am sorry but I don't see any future on the cooperation with them.

maybe it was a mistaken?

Hopefully you're only in a month-to-month contract then.
    Which server did you take out with them?

I got a response from Dino:

Posted on: 05 March 2012 12:06 PM

Hello Vassilis,

I am sorry for the situation. There was an issue with the billing system which did not mark the renewal date correctly hence your server has been scheduled for suspension.

I am really sorry for that.

We will analyse this more closely so that situations like this do not happen.
    -----------------
    Best regards,
    Dino S
    I can understand the possibility of an erroneous automatic suspend, but unfortunately he doesn't give a solid explanation on why this wasn't resolved the first 10 minutes from customer support. If they could just look at it it would be resolved instantly. And the funny thing is that customer support responded immediately.

The server is HP DL120G7 with 16GB RAM offer from WHT at €99.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingH View Post
    but unfortunately he doesn't give a solid explanation on why this wasn't resolved the first 10 minutes from customer support. If they could just look at it it would be resolved instantly. And the funny thing is that customer support responded immediately.
    The problem, as with a lot of hosts, is that billing departments are usually only 9-5, Mon-Fri (or similar hours), where as support department is 24/7 (for most hosts), as its a suspension then it has to be dealt with the billing department, this is common practice for most hosts. Like you I wish that more hosts had 24/7 billing, or at least 1 tech that can moonlight as billing for emergency tickets.

I'd expect some complimentary service if it had happened to me, especially as you'd just got the server so first impressions count. Although looking at the price you're paying, I doubt they'd do it.

I've even had billing issues (through no fault of my own) where it was suspended on late Friday and I haven't been able to reach anyone until Monday morning.
    Last edited by sam0; 03-05-2012 at 08:59 AM.

well hosts could allow a trusted support tech to temporarly unsuspend and leave a message to billing "can you please look at server xxxx incorrectly suspended" or something like that but then again not all people are as honest as the OP is .......

And what did they offer you as compensation? Moving your renew date 6 days?

I think bumping your ticket several times didnt work in your favour as you was effectively pushing your ticket back to the bottom of the queue...
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Neither does airing your issues in public tbh, it could simply be a mistake, they do happen. It's unfortunate but I wish some people would at least wait until the host resolves the issue or at least has enough time to do so given their sales/billing hours.

That way we get a full picture taking into account the host's point of view, as I say, this may have been a genuine mistake but more often than not what you get is posts like this where the OP omits certain info to take the heat of them....

Quote Originally Posted by sam250 View Post
    The problem, as with a lot of hosts, is that billing departments are usually only 9-5, Mon-Fri (or similar hours), where as support department is 24/7 (for most hosts), as its a suspension then it has to be dealt with the billing department, this is common practice for most hosts. Like you I wish that more hosts had 24/7 billing, or at least 1 tech that can moonlight as billing for emergency tickets.

I'd expect some complimentary service if it had happened to me, especially as you'd just got the server so first impressions count. Although looking at the price you're paying, I doubt they'd do it.
    I can understand that billing department may be separate entity inside a company, but all are just a matter of just examining a bit further the complain and don't just stick on the "The sales department has suspended. Wait for them".

In my case this was pretty obvious since I got the server 5 days ago, where of course I needed to pay first to setup the server.

As cpanellover said, there should be a tech guy which can take the responsibility to bring up again the server, even temporarily. Or the servers can be suspended on working hours.

I also think dediserv is not such a "enterprisy" company, and that was also a factor when choosing to go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by WWS2010 View Post
    And what did they offer you as compensation? Moving your renew date 6 days?
    I am not really interested in compensation, since a few euros won't make the difference. The current price is already cheap enough.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    I think bumping your ticket several times didnt work in your favour as you was effectively pushing your ticket back to the bottom of the queue...
    I fully understand this, I surely didn't want to spend 4 hours until 5am local time to send tickets. But I was a little frustrated when I couldn't get a definite answer.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenerl View Post
    Neither does airing your issues in public tbh, it could simply be a mistake, they do happen. It's unfortunate but I wish some people would at least wait until the host resolves the issue or at least has enough time to do so given their sales/billing hours.
    I work too on the services sector, and usually take really serious my customers, even if something is their fault. Its a matter of just plain professionalism vs professionalism with a bit of understanding for the client who sometimes may be right.

I am sorry that I am frustrated given this situation that took my clients' sites down for 12 hours without getting a proper explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenerl View Post
    but more often than not what you get is posts like this where the OP omits certain info to take the heat of them....
    I really don't see what you are talking about. I didn't omit anything, the above posts were the exact conversions I had.

I can understand that on WHT you will probably see people that complain without reason, but this is not the case.